Our days in the studio lately are mostly spent painting, since we’re getting ready for the Chapel Market. We crank up the music or sometimes chit-chat about life, mix up some milk paint and work on one piece after the other. We’re making good progress, but there is still a lot to do and I’m feeling a bit behind since I was under the weather a couple of days last week. I’m feeling so much more energetic now and I’m ready to tackle our to-do list.
The last time I shared the victorian settee with you, Kriste was putting a thin coat of Tough Coat on it to prevent the original red stain from bleeding through. This has worked for me before with a yellow stain, but I hadn’t tried it on the “dreaded red stain”. I was really putting Tough Coat to the test, because I want to paint this piece white and any little bit of red that seeps through will turn the paint pink.
Once the Tough Coat dried, I painted the piece in one coat of Shutter Gray MMSMP without any bonding agent added. I learned on the last piece I tested Tough Coat on that milk paint sticks to it really well! So, I used it as a primer/sealer on this piece. You may be wondering why I’m painting this piece Shutter Gray if I want it white. Well, you may be aware that white doesn’t cover very well, especially over dark wood. I knew I would be in for multiple coats of paint if I went straight for the white. By applying a mid-tone gray on first, the number of coats will be reduced. Kriste applied the first coat of Ironstone (white) once the Shutter Gray was dry.
I love how much brighter this piece is looking already. It just needs one more coat of Ironstone and then I’ll lightly distress, apply the finish and then it’s on to the upholstery.
And, while I had the paint out, I painted a few other things in the studio, including the old church door I used in the jelly cupboard photo shoot. I left one side the natural wood, but the other side was a barn red color, which isn’t my thing, so I painted it in Shutter Gray and I love it. The panels and detail seem to show up so much better now that it’s painted.
…and I can always flip it over to use the wood side, depending on my mood.
I found this old church door in my Oma’s attic when we were cleaning it out and it’s been languishing in my basement, so it’s nice to finally get to use it.
…and, while I had the paint out, I took the plunge and painted a piece I’ve been thinking about painting for a while…
Yes, the oak hutch that’s behind the t-shirt counter. Between the floors and the shirt counter and everything else, there is a lot of wood going on and I’ve always felt the wood on this piece was too orange. For me, anyway. So, I painted it and I love it so far. Here’s a reminder of what it looked like…
I’m planning to paint the inside in Ironstone, probably, so it will really make the jars of milk paint powder pop.
I have a couple more dressers in the works and a lot more fun finds for the market to share. Stay tuned…