If you saw the Craig’s List wardrobe makeover yesterday, you caught a peek at the slipcovered armchair…
As I’ve shared before, sewing is not my very favorite thing ever in the world to do. I do it out of necessity, thriftiness, and the desire to customize.
Such is the case with slipcovers. Unless I wanted to eat up our entire budget having this chair professionally slipcovered, I needed to do it myself in order to give Megan a cute and comfy armchair for her office.
I got it done, but I did drag my feet. This chair was staring me down for a while. I told Megan that and she said she was glad it was staring someone else down for a change!
I know how that is. Something languishes in your stash and you know it can be really great, but you just don’t want to deal with it.
So, even though I left it until the end, I was really glad to take this project off Megan’s hands and get it done for her. Here’s how the chair started…
It was a $15 Craig’s List purchase. It’s cute and sturdy and in nice condition. Megan tried painting the upholstery, but gave up on it. And I think that was a good decision. I know a lot of people have successfully painted upholstery and lived to tell the tale, but I’m not a fan of it in most cases.
In this particular case, with a couple more coats, this chair probably would’ve looked okay, but the painted portion felt “crunchy”. I don’t know about you, but “crunchy” is not an adjective I want to describe an armchair that I plan to sit in.
So, I made a slipcover for it out of Megan’s cream cotton curtains…
It’s fitted but casual. And definitely not perfect. I don’t do perfect.
I made it using the same methods I teach in the six part video slipcover series I made a few years ago. This one was a little easier, because I only used piping on the cushion and along the skirt.
I sort of liked the fabric on the chair for this space, so I kept the back cushion uncovered. It will add a vintage/eclectic touch to the room without being too loud.
And I added a fun little surprise to the back with some scraps of the curtain fabric…
You’ll probably get a peek of the back of the chair from the entrance to the room, so it was worth the time to add that little detail.
Yes, mom. I know I should’ve ironed this before the photo shoot! It was the end of the day and I was in a rush, but we’ll iron it before the final pictures and that’ll make the pleats look sharper and the fabric lay nice a straight.
In other Megan’s-office-makeover-news, the light fixture arrived! I wanted something really unique and I was picturing a pendant fixture hanging from a chain, but I didn’t find anything I was in love with that was also priced right. When I was browsing Etsy one night, I found this light and thought it was perfect! Just the thing to add some farmhouse flair to the space.
We swapped out one of the pipes to make it the right measurements to cast the light right on Megan’s work surface and now it’s perfect. I’m going to convert it to a fixture that plugs into an outlet, so we don’t have to mess with hardwiring it. I’ll show you how easy that is!
We also got the window frame cleaned up and hemp oiled, so it’s ready to become a magnetic inspiration board. Of course, I’ll show how we do that, too.
And, lastly, we were planning to use a vintage wire wastebasket for the space, but I received an e-mail from one of my buddies, Carrie of the Etsy shop Copper & Tin, who had an old trashcan that she thought would be perfect for Megan’s space. And she’s right! It’s a pretty, soft green with a galvanized liner and a cute little pedal….
(photo via Copper & Tin)
Carrie thought it was so perfect, that she’s giving it to Megan as a gift.
I’m telling you…this makeover is so fun!!
A few of you mentioned you’re looking forward to the reveal, but will be a little sad when it’s over, too. I feel the same way, except, I have about ten other room makeovers in the hopper, so we’ll dive right into another one.
If you need to catch up on this series, here are all of the links…