I was working this weekend on my guest room, getting it ready for a photo shoot. I was in a bit of a crunch, because of some unexpected delays, so I wasn’t able to put this room together in a leisurely way. The mattress was delivered and I had to put the room together in two days. I didn’t have time to shop, so it had to come together with what I had.
It was like old times and I think it brought out the best in me. For years, I had to make my home look the way I wanted it to without buying a lot of new stuff. That’s how I learned to thrift, sew, paint and refinish in the first place! Now that I buy and sell things, have a home decor business and this blog, I’m able to constantly shop my own inventory to get what I envision and buy pieces to use specifically for props to finish off a room. It’s nice to have that luxury, but maybe it’s made me a bit lazy when it comes to being resourceful.
This time crunch forced me back into that and, as I said, I think it brought out the best in me.
I showed you a peek of how the bed in the guest room was coming together…
Some of you thought I’ve gone wild and went with orange bedding, but it’s actually a rich yellow-gold color. The bedding is a departure from my blue & white scheme, but you’ll noticed I snuck some blue in there. I’ve always seen the guest room as a room I can put a toe outside of my comfort zone, so I’ve gone a bit more colorful with yellows, reds and blues, balanced with brass and wood accents.
I was sort of nudged away from blue and white into the gold bedding (I’ll explain that later), but it ended up being a great choice. Before I put the gold bedding on, which looks very French provincial to me, the brass wasn’t working well with the white bed. I love those brass sconces and was a little nervous about their fate in that room. The gold bedding tied in with the brass, making everything look intentional.
The little yellow bolster pillow on the bed looked really pretty, but I have red curtains and red striped grain sacks on the French bergere chair in the room and some red in the rug, so I felt like I needed some red in the bedding…even just a hint.
I went to my fabric stash, looking for something that would work. I found a large piece of red work that didn’t sell at Lucketts. This could work! I found a bolster pillow form in my pillow form stash (yes, I have one of those) and tried wrapping the red work piece around it. I set it on the bed.
It was perfect. Just the hint of red the bedding needed to tie in with the curtains.
I was in a time crunch and still needed to hang pictures and add finishing touches, so I didn’t want to take time to sew a bolster cover.
Fortunately, the red work had pretty lace edges, so I just strategically wrapped the fabric around the pillow and tied it at either end with a length of Baker’s twine.
It looks so sweet, I don’t think I even need to take the time to go back and sew it.
It’s a simple idea, but it could work with fabric scraps, tea towels, oversized dinner napkins… Even try raiding your wardrobe for a scarf.
I’ll show you a full shoot of the guest room soon, but I can say that it looks really pretty. It’s definitely “cozy” with the queen sized bed, but it is such a comfy, inviting guest room now.
I know some of you are probably still wondering why I sold the hand painted Bavarian bed and went in a new direction. I’ll be explaining that and will share more about the bedding, rug, mattress and the other details of the room soon…