Well, I’m starting off my first full work week of the new year sick in bed! I am itching to organize and get to work on some of the plans I drew up over the holidays, but those will all have to wait…hopefully for just a day or two. Until I’m back on my feet and working on projects again, I am sharing a project I worked on before Christmas.
When the slate floors were installed and finished, the white floor vents stood out much more than they did on the beige tile…
I originally looked into replacing them with ones that were more decorative, but I had difficulty finding the size I needed and the ones I liked were pretty expensive. I decided to go the thriftier option and used spray paint to transform the existing vents.
I was hoping to find a spray paint that was the same color as the slate tiles, but my options were narrowed down to battleship gray and oil rubbed bronze, so I picked the latter.
When spray painting, it’s best to apply the paint in several thin coats, so you avoid dripping and spray marks. It’s also a good idea to start with the object(s) you’re painting upside-down, so you can apply paint from a variety of angles.
I took advantage of an unseasonably warm day in MN in December, propped the vents on a box over a drop cloth, and applied the paint in thin coats throughout the day.
This is the spray paint I opted to use…
A paint that was grayer and less black would’ve blended in even better, but this was an inexpensive quick fix and a nice improvement over the white.
It’s easy to overlook little finishing touches when working on larger projects, but it’s so rewarding when those finishing touches are checked off the list.