These Are a Few of My Favorite Things

by | Sep 23, 2009 | Antiques, Favorite Finds | 29 comments

I love old things and antiques, so I thought I would share some of my very favorites with you… Antique trophies…I found two of these in my grandparent’s attic.

Anything silver or silver plated, especially family and monogrammed pieces.
I’ve already shared my love of Ironstone and Bakelite flatware. I just learned today that my Uncle’s fiance had a ton of Bakelite and she threw it away! Just kill me now or maybe kill her now…ok, I’m getting a little too violent about Bakelite. Let’s move on…

Linen napkins, tea towels, table cloths, and serving pieces, especially if they’re monogrammed. I don’t even mind ironing them.
Old quilts. This was one out of my husband’s grandmother’s collection.

Old family photos. Isn’t this one gorgeous? I found it in my grandparent’s attic. I’m not sure who it is, but I love it.

Crystal chandeliers. This was my $4.00 yard sale find that I shared about earlier. It’s currently hanging in my dining room.

Antique baby dresses and christening gowns. This one was from my husband’s great-grand parent’s attic. (OK, what’s with awesome stuff just boxed up in people’s attics?)

Antique & vintage baby items. I have several silver baby cups, a rattle, yo-yo, and an old iron crib. There’s something so sweet about them.

And caned furniture. I love just about anything with caning in it. This French styled rocker was purchased at Luckett’s Virginia for $10. There’s a small hole the in the back of the chair, but who cares. If I wanted something perfect, I would’ve bought it new.

I hope you appreciate the things I love. I’d love to hear about some of your favorite things!

1. Becky K.

Hi! I am not too far away in Lancaster County! I love your slide show at the bottom of the page. Your work is great!

It is nice to "meet" You . I will become a follower.

Becky K.
    Hospitality Lane

2. Peanut-Butter Kitty

Glad your back and looking forward to what you found!! It's always such a treat visiting you.

3. Room to Inspire

Great photos…and that chandelier is just beautiful. How can you not LOVE crystal chandeliers!

Chelsea

4. bj

First..THANK YOU dearly for thinking of me for the Honest Scrap. I do appreciate that you like my blog…i love yours, too.
    Gosh, we have so much in common to be so far apart in age. Guess when it comes to our favorite things, age doesn't matter one single bit.
    ***
    I love this post…such a great idea. I must post some more of my favorite things. I did this a year back but…you have reminded me now that I want to do it again…
    Tomorrow's (Thurs.) post is something that you will like, I think….blue and white! :O)
    xo bj

5. Jane

Loved your "favorites" post….we have a lot in common when it comes to what we love….I love old tarnished silver pieces, old trophies (don't have any because the price is always too high for me!), old family photos, and old quilts….pretty much anything vintage I guess! Enjoyed the beautiful pictures.

6. CailinMarie

oh my goodness.
    I'm new and I'm sorry to hear about your grandparents funeral. But look at all these treasures you shared. I love things like this!!! I cannot believe you found the chandelier for $4. What a find! I posted just a few posts ago about a fabulous dress that was my husband's grandmother's – all white and beaded – that I wore recently to an evening out. What fun.
    delighted to have met you!

7. Joan@anthinggoeshere

Love the bathing beauty photo. My thoughts are with you on your grandfather's passing.

8. Susie from Bienvenue

That quilt is just beautiful! My Maw Maw made one just like it. Hang on to those treasures my friend~

9. Hillary @ The Other Mama

WOW! What great finds! You really hit the jackpot. It is funny what people just have sitting around!!
    I think the $4 garage sale chandelier or the baby cup would be my favorite! Great pieces!!

10. Brian @ Antique Trails

I'm not certain where to start: The chandelier! The quilt! The photo! All wonderful finds.

Thank you for sharing.

11. Tiffany

Wow, amazing finds! Love that old family photo, it's just beautiful! Also, the baby items are so precious. You are a lucky girl with some great antiques! : ) Thanks for visiting my blog!

12. Britt

I can't believe you got that chandelier for $4!!! Wow! I just saw that you are in Pennsylvania. I lived in Carlisle for a year and my mom and I found such great antiques – I'd love to have that kind of shopping around here!

13. Kristin

I can't believe what you scored that chandelier for! Gorgeous.: )

14. Fifi Flowers

LOVELY treasures! That christening dress is stunning!

15. Vintage Junky

$4?!?!? That is amazing! I would love to have chandeliers in every room, but we can't part with our ceiling fans as ugly as they may be! I love your trophies… and I am a sucker for caning too!
    Thanks for joining in!

SMiles
    Michelle

16. The Vintage Modern Girl

oh i LOVE everything!! especially the trophy and that gorgeous old photo! and i too have a thing for old monogrammed silver pieces!

17. Happy Nester

I am drooling over your Bakelite flatware. I love it. And your old family photo, is just wonderful.

18. Christina

Love the crystal chandalier, $4.00 really? I need to read more.

19. ChesterAndDonkey

Oh Goodness. Where do I start? I love everything you have … my heart is drawn to the monogrammed silverwear though. And your pictures are lovely – what camera do you use?

20. cindy@cottage instincts

Man, I wish I had some relatives with cool stuff in their attics! I think I love the linens best, but I don't know. Hmmmm. Ok I like it all :o)

21. Sam

LOVE all your items. I have a couple of old quilts from my husbands gramdma that I love.

22. melissa * 320 Sycamore

Thank you so much for joining the party! I have some quilts from my great grandma that I treasure. Everything on your list is pure loveliness~and I really can't believe you got that for $4. You go, girl.

23. Anna See

Oh my goodness! I love these favorite things. I, too, love old silver. I usually decorate up and down the stairs with a garland with silver baby cups and spoons attached. I didn't get around to it this year, sigh.

Beautiful things!

24. Faith

ahhhhh, yes we have much of the same interest..it is fun to think about favorite things,,and have the picture to go along with it…

25. Faith

I'm not sure if the first one went through or not..beautiful favorites..it worth pondering and blogging about…we all have them..some of mine are similar to yours…the linens…love those..vintage it's all good.

26. AntiqueChase

I know I'm coming to this post super late.. but.. you did not get that chandelier for $4… wow!!! really?? That is a score!!!!