Guide to Shopping The Chapel Market

by | Oct 18, 2013 | Antiques, buying & selling antiques, Miscellaneus, Running a Business, Shopping Tips | 60 comments

Well, this is a guide to shopping my space specifically at the Chapel Market tomorrow.  First of all, here are some pictures of my space and the things that are for sale (and everything is for sale!)…

missmustardseed-80 (534x800)

missmustardseed-85 (534x800)

missmustardseed-86 (534x800)

missmustardseed-93 (534x800)

missmustardseed-92 (534x800)

missmustardseed-89 (534x800)

missmustardseed-78 (534x800)

I did not bring t-shirts, because I am almost sold out and need to reorder, but I did bring a bunch of books…

missmustardseed-83 (534x800)

…and I’d be happy to sign them for you.  Also feel free to bring a book you already have for me to sign.

I brought samples of all of my milk paint colors, including the newest ones…

missmustardseed-99 (534x800)

…but the paint and companion products will be sold across the aisle at Perfectly Imperfect.

missmustardseed-101 (534x800)

missmustardseed-103 (534x800)

missmustardseed-102 (534x800)

missmustardseed-104 (534x800)

So, here are some tips for shopping my space…

1. Since the space is small, we don’t have any display pieces or a checkout, so you have to find me or my husband Jeff in order to pay.  We’ll be floating around the space trying to keep things moving.  It might be a bit chaotic, but we’ll make it work!
  2. We will be accepting cash, checks and credit cards via PayPal Here.
  3. I didn’t bring bags, but I think I’m going to be able to bum some off of Shuanna tomorrow.  I do have paper and wrap, though, for those who buy ironstone and other breakables.  It would be smart to bring some bags or a tote or something.
  4. If you buy a large piece of furniture or something bulky, it would probably be best for both of us if you keep the piece where it is and take it when you’re ready to leave.  I have made the handy sold tags pictured above for just that purpose.  We’ll write your name and cell number on the back of the tag, so there is no confusion!
  5. There will be volunteers around to help with carrying and loading furniture in your car and we can help you with that as well.
  6. I think the morning is going to be pretty crazy, so if you’re coming just to hang out and visit, I would suggest coming later in the day.  If you’re coming to do some die-hard shopping, come as early as you can!
  7. I don’t want to haul ANYTHING back to Pennsylvania, if I can help it at all, so come in the last hour of the sale (4:00-5:00 pm) for bargain prices.  We’re not talking 10% off.  We’re talking huge discounts.

So, I’m looking forward to meeting those who can come tomorrow to…

missmustardseed-100 (534x800)

It’ll be pure…

missmustardseed-84 (534x800)

1. Paola Norman

Ohh I wish I lived close by, I would so shop from you. If the wreaths and ironstone doesn’t sell I hope you put it in your store.

2. Candace Bertalan Horner

Holy IRONSTONE BATMAN!! Your space looks so awesome! Each time you post scenes of your spaces I get so inspired…. I swear one of these days I will make it to where you are. Til then, I hop you have a great time and tremendous success at Chapel Market!! I am definitely hauling that vanity out of the barn and starting the sanding this weekend…!!

3. patti

I am so JEALOUS – Have Fun!

4. Rachel

Marian! I love how much different pretty things you have crammed into your space without looking messy! I could just look and look for hours! My favorite is how you paired that little blue chair (Eulalie’s Sky, I think?) with the Apron Strings dresser… Such a lovely contrast! And I’m kinda blown away by the amount of Ironstone you have to sell, because I know you have such a collection at home! Wish I could come! Good luck! Hope everything sells in the morning! 🙂

5. Cynthia @ her lovely nest

wowzer such beautiful items! I was originally crying in my coffee that I don’t live nearby to attend, but after seeing how much trouble I’d get into maybe it’s for the best… 🙂

have fun everyone!

6. Kristen

I love this post so much! I can’t wait to meet you tomorrow! I will be with my mom, and she laughs at me because everyday after work I call her (we live 3 hrs apart) and pretty much every day say something about you or what I saw on your blog today or what new project you are doing…like I actually know you or something lol! So it will be neat to ACTUALLY know you!

So, so excited, and all of your stuff just looks so beautiful.
    Now go get some rest and get ready for a fun day tomorrow 🙂

7. julie

I DIE at the MMS goodness!! Have fun!

8. Carrie - Curate by Carrie Corson

Your booth looks lovely! Hope you all have a great day!!! I’m going to be at home in the Midwest wishing I would have been able to go South for the weekend!

9. kathy

♥ it all, wish you all success, your booth & items are everything I love

10. Monica

Wish I could be there because that apron strings dresser would be coming right back to PA 🙂 Have a great weekend!

11. Sharon

Sure looks like fun…wish I lived…even sorta close!

12. Ashley

We live three hours south of Montgomery, but my friends from Montgomery are coming to stay with us for the weekend, would I be a bad host if I drug them back up to Montgomery just for the Market???? Haha. Hopefully Layla will host more in the future, because this seems like such a once-in-a-lifetime event!

13. Sue VanParys

Cant wait !!! Driving 3 hours from Flowery Branch, GA !! Looks like great stuff !!!

14. kelly

I don’t see the tiny red wheel barrow. I asked if I could buy if off of you, I take it that you sold it to someone before this market?

Have fun.

15. Kathy

Oh I’m drooling, I’m as far on the west coast as I can be, (beach) but my heart will be there. My body will be cleaning my work room! Please post some photos if you have time so we can live vicariously! Sending lots of Joy your way!

16. Lynn

I am SO excited! Your booth looks fabulous and I can not wait to get there tomorrow! And I am bringing your book to get it signed….I already feel a little star struck:)

17. Virginia

Looking forward to meeting you tomorrow!!!

18. Debbie

That spool hired man’s bed is to die for!

• ART (Anna-Ruth Taynton Murphy)

I LOVE it TOO! I wish I was there :)….Have a great time!

19. Wendy

oh – it all looks so lovely Marian – have a wonderful time, I am green with envy, but heading to Homestead House tomorrow for retailer training, so it’s less painful 🙂
    Have a GREAT time!

20. Marsha

Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow! Your booth looks wonderful!

21. Katy

It looks amazing! Who wouldn’t want to shop there??? I have had a hired man’s bed in my attic for 10 year, might have to get it down.
    I have to tell you, I was going to go in tomorrow and put in notice at my antique stand. I just feel like I never get it right, and like it is sucking up all my time, Then I see what you can do, and think maybe if I keep going I will get there. Thanks for all the inspiration.

22. Dolores

Cannot wait! It all lots so wonderful! I have my little shopping cart all ready for the trip. See you tomorrow!

23. abbe doll

Is that the flow blue chair from class? I love it! Wish I was there to snag it up! 🙂

24. Silvia

Love to buy the boxwood wreath..love it ! Do ship to Canada ?..good luck

• Angela

Oh sooo wish I could go. Would love a boxwood wreath and have been looking for one in Canada also. So hoping you ship here.

25. Shanda Davidson

You’re KILLING me!!! Don’t you know I have a mortgage to pay this month? Please save a kitchen scale for me!

26. Cheryl

Your booth is beautiful and is a total reflection of who you are; beauty, grace, romance, joy, and love. I, too, would love a boxwood wreath, however haven’t seen them for sale on your site.

27. tricia @ little cottage on the pond

So wish I could be there! Not too far from Texas, but I have a painting gig this morning. I know it will be amazing and can’t wait to hear how it went!!

28. Kathleen

My dearest Marian…….I highly doubt you’ll be bringing anything home. Sigh. Swoon. Pitter-pat.

29. Emily

I hope someday Utah ends up closer to Pennsylvania so I can see all this in person rather than on line! But for now, online is great too! Have a wonderful weekend!

30. Gilda

good luck! Did you get me the response to my question about the oil vs wax?

31. Tracy

Marian – I love that Lucketts green office chair! I have been looking for a chair just like that for my office makeover! I did a buffet in the Lucketts and have fallen in love with the color since then. I would love to see it on everything lol. Not really, but I really do love it!

32. Emily

looks beautiful. Wish I didn’t live in the midwest. Will you have any grain sacks online after the sale?

33. Jelena

Wish I could be there, but Alabama is quite a long drive away from South Dakota. 🙁
    Best of success, and in case you don’t sell everything, would you maybe, just maybe post it in your online shop? 🙂

34. Denny

Your space looks great! Good luck and I hope you bring back an empty trailer!

35. kelly@mysoulfulhome

Oh I wish I could be there!!! Have a great time & come home with nothing from your booth except wonderful memories!
    Kelly

36. Tracy

Oh that bed! That office chair!!! Bring them back and I’ll pick them up…okay? Haha. Good luck and have fun.

37. stacey

OHHH! Looking at your wonderful items so artfully displayed gives me such gimmies!
    I am so sad that I don’t live close by.
    Hope you have a wonderful sale and look forward to hearing about it all.

38. Ann

What are the burlap strap items? Maybe bookmarks? I can’t tell from the picture. Hope you have a successful day!

39. Ann

I too hope you are selling unsold items in your online shop. I would love to have the scrabble tiles. Ooohh, the things I could do with those!!

40. Lisa @ Lisas Creative Designs

Oh, I wish we had a selling venue like that in my neck of the woods! The only places to sell here are at small craft shows, a dinky flea market and big festivals where people are just coming to walk, eat and listen to music. Nothing is just the right fit for those of us offering creatively upcycled wares and vintage finds. Your space looks great!

41. Sharon

Oh I wish we had similar markets like this where I live in Australia! I love your styling!! Simply beautiful.

42. Carolyn

Feel free to drop the leftovers here in Charlotte, NC, that way they won’t have to go all the way to PA!! I’m serious.

43. Danielle

It all looks so wonderful, Marian. Hope you had a fun and successful day today 🙂 Wish I lived closer – I’m an east coast girl…. x

44. Barbara Landers

Never ever even HEARD of a ‘hired man’s’ bed…but it is JUST the size I need. Can you tell me the measurements…and where you got it? and where I might find one? and the price?
    SOOOOOOOOOOOO many goodies to look at and drool over! Do well and make a bundle of $$$$$

45. Anne Boykin

Dear MMS, It was so wonderful to see your booth today in person. Of course, it was crazy in the morning as you predicted and I didn’t get a chance to talk to you. I did meet Mr. Mustard Seed and he’s, of course, charming. What did I buy? One of your Bienvenue signs and the brown transferware platter at the bottom of your stack. Thanks for coming all the way to Alabama to share your cool stuff with us! Hugs, Anne Boykin

46. Brittany

Everything looks lovely! If u do not sell that globe I would love to buy it! And since I’m from your home state I won’t be making it to chapel market…unfortunately 🙁 will you be listing things u don’t sell there if perchance you don’t get rid of everything?

47. Nanci Hargis

Oh my!! I need some of that black chalk!! looks like an awesome sale wish I didn’t live so
    far from there!
    Nanci

48. Ann Lacouture

I love your blog and your store! I’m wondering if you preserve your own boxwood wreaths, and where I might find information on that. Specifically, what kind of boxwood do you use and what kind and color dye? Please help! Thanks!

49. Nancy

Marian, I don’t know how you do this!! Seriously, if I lived in the USA I would be there like a flash and probably buy half of what is on offer…but as you know I live in Australia, so not to be. I know this is your business…but it takes so much effort….not to mention serious creativity….and with two small boys, and a husband who works full time …AND spends much of his leisure time working with you…he deserves a medal…as do you!

Now, with all of your profits from this market…do get a stainless steel stove/oven!!!

By the way, where is the Australian distributor for your Milk Paint opening up???

God luck with the market!

Nancy

50. Jill

Love the spindle bench! Or is it a bed? It seems too small for a bed. My sis had one that exact finish that my dad restored when we were kids. It’s gorgeous! Every time I see your booths I want one of the kitchen scales , hard to find in CO and quite pricey! Enjoy your time, I can’t believe howuch work you must have put into this!

• ann

I’ll bet that lasted unsold about 30 seconds.

51. Mary Borgsmiller

Did you sell the charcuterie sign???

52. KIm

Your space is awesome. I wish I lived closer so I could have come to the market. So many beautiful things. Did the spindle bed of bench sell? Where did you find this piece?

53. Patti Kelly

Marion, do you still have the little bed? How much is it? I was there and so regret not buying it!! Enjoyed meeting you!

54. Artsnark

Wonderful items! Are you able to use square? I have found it very useful during both personal art shows & at the conventions I do for the day job.

55. Pamela Lechuga

Hi! Would you be so kind as to tell me what the selling price was on the Fabulous black secretary desk that’s sporting the Christmas banner? Dying to know what I missed out on!! so love your work! Pamela

56. Debbie

Oh Marian, you sold that beautiful chair from your office huh? I love love loved that piece. Would like to find one and paint it with Luckett’s Green for sure!!! Thank you for all you do, as usual :).