I was down to just a few things in my to-do stash and that lasted for about two minutes.

Kriste and I went shopping on Monday and brought home some great pieces AND my dad scored a few things on craigslist AND I received a few shipments.  You know when you get home from the grocery store and dump all of your bags on the kitchen floor?  Now, imagine that with furniture and boxes and bags of antiques and home decor.  That’s what the studio was like today – stuff all over the floor and in no particular order.

It was a little chaotic, but it was exciting, too.  And, oh, the possibilities!

From our shopping trip, we brought home this pretty oak buffet…

mms-5587

It’s almost exactly like one I bought and painted for Lucketts last year…

mms-7001

We also got this sweet highboy.  It has such a pretty and simple shape…

mms-5603

And, from craigslist, my dad delivered this interesting piece…

mms-5606

It’s clearly a buffet with the legs cut off, but I think with the addition of some wheels, it’ll make a unique coffee table, storage for the end of a bed or even a low TV stand.  I’m planning to leave the doors and drawers as is and just paint the frame.

And, this beautiful wardrobe…

mms-5610

It is just such a cool piece with interesting graining and I love the scalloped detail.

mms-5612

I am going to remove the piece added to the top that holds the doors closed.  That was added, because the latch doesn’t work, but I’m just going to replace it with a new (old) latch that I already had in my hardware stash.  I am not going to paint the exterior of this piece, but I plan to add shelves to and paint the interior to brighten it up and make it more functional for storage.

mms-5615

And he picked up two of these industrial cleaning carts.  These were a bit of a gamble, but they weren’t expensive, so I decided to go for it.  When my dad delivered them, I realized they were a lot larger than I thought they were!  Those wheels were huge, making the pieces a height that wasn’t very “residential-friendly.”

mms-5585

I was planning to just remove the wheels and replace them with smaller wheels to make them counter-height, but that plan was foiled when I realized they were soldered on.

mms-5581

Well, my studio happens to be in an industrial park.  Just me and Kriste and a bunch of guys who make pole buildings and conveyer belts.  We can tell immediately when someone is making a delivery for them and they stop in the studio by mistake, since we’re the first building.  They step in, look around, squint their eyes, look at their shipping order and then at us.  “Umm…I’m delivering sheet metal…”

We get quite a kick out of it.

I went down there with a picture of the soldered wheels and they referred me to a machine shop that’s just right down the road.  I called them and they said they would take on my project, so Kriste and I took a little field trip and wheeled the carts over to the shop.  Just a few yards behind a mom pushing her baby in a stroller.  It was quite the parade.

Anyway, they removed the wheels for me, so I can make these counter-height and I am super excited about my ideas for styling them.

Cleaning carts will be all the rage!

My dad also delivered a free headboard and footboard from my aunt.  It is just begging to be made into a bench, so I shared my vision with Jeff and I hope he can make it happen for me.

mms-5625

We also received several boxes of goodies I ordered a couple of weeks ago.  I got a whole bunch of (what I think are) the most photogenic soaps on earth – Savon De Marseille.  They are just so pretty. (And, I suppose it should be said, they are really high quality soap as well.)

mms-5655

And I got a bunch of my favorite German dish brushes…

mms-5657

…vegetable brushes…

mms-5662

And gardening pot brushes!

mms-5600

How sweet are these, to dust out your pots before planting?

mms-5602

And I got a few rolls of flax twine.  It looks like cotton twine, but the weave is much tighter and it has a nice feel to it.

mms-5665

I bought these things in order to fill baskets and cubbies and for texture!  You may have noticed, all of the brushes, soaps and twine bring a lot of visual texture to the table.  I also like that they are inexpensive items.  I know not everyone can buy a piece of furniture or spend a ton of money, so I like offering things that are a few dollars and are still a piece of my style that customers can take home.  I’m excited for how these things enhance my space at the Lucketts Spring Market this year.

I’m considering ordering more soaps and brushes to list in the online shop, so let me know if you’re interest!

Also, I have an order of antique hemp sheets coming soon…

I’ll share more finds and, of course, the furniture makeovers as they are completed.

1. Leah Prevost

How fun! These are my favorite posts, the ones with allllll the beautiful pictures!!!!! Seeing your finds, even in their “before” state always makes me smile and gives me the urge to look on Craigslist or stop at one of my antique stores that I frequent 🙂 Can’t wait to see more pieces! And I would definitely buy some of those vegetable brushes and the brush for planters if you had them online.

2. Wynne Snell

I, too, would purchase the soap and brushes (along with the glasses and crocheted cozies!)!!

3. Katie D.

I would definitely purchase some brushes and that beautiful soap! Would love to see them in your online shop.

4. Jennifer troutman

Please list soaps and brushes in your online store.

5. Christina

Hi Marian,
    You have found some really great treasures and I can’t wait to see how you transform them. I really wish I could go to Luckett’s. It’s definitely on my bucket list. I would love to see the brushes and soap listed online. Thanks for sharing your finds and tips!

6. shell

I would most definitely order brushes!

7. Ashley Johnson

I’m definitely interested in putting some in the online shop!! Great finds!!

8. Mel

I really like the soaps and brushes, they look so much nicer in the kitchen than the usual technicolor plastic options I can find locally. I would be interested to know the ingredients in the soap, and what the brush bristles are made of.

9. Cindy

Thank you, thank you for offering inexpensive items as well as the larger gems. It’s so exciting to bring home a little something you love even when your budget is tight <3

10. Martha Oskin

I would love if you ordered brushes and soap for your online store!

11. Donna

WOW! I’ve been saving money for the Luckett’s show…might be spending a lot of it in your booth. 😉 Can’t wait!

12. Alexandrea Jarvis

I would love the opportunity to purchase the brushes and soaps 🙂

13. joanna n.

oh, cool! we had a french exchange student from marseille last fall! she told us that a large part of the industry was growing herbs for soaps; now i have the visual proof! =) i’d love some of these smalls in your online store, too!

14. Joan Larae Thurman

Good morning Marian. All of your finds are so fabulous. Wish I could visit y’all at Lucketts. Even if my big purchase was a vegetable brush I know seeing the finished furniture projects would be an inspiration. MMS paint is a fun product, I must say. Keep up the great work and may God continue to bless the work your hands find to do. ? Joan

15. Terri

Yes, please…soaps & brushes!

16. mercedes

yes please, would love to order brushes and soap online!

17. Iris

Picturing the ‘parade’ going down the street I realized that I would be interested in more ‘action’ pics on your blog. No criticism here, I adore you, your blog, and your creative work. But some ‘liveliness’ would be great, as well!

18. Jennifer Holton

I love the little buffet in the first picture! I can’t wait to see it at Luckett’s. This is my first year to attend. And I would definitely buy some brushes from your online store, especially the veggie brush.

19. Bobbi

I think the blue industrial carts with wheels would make a great outdoor bar…

20. Debbie Reynolds

Marian I am definitely interested in anything you offer in your online store!@

21. Jessica @ Petal + Ply

Truly hoping I can make it to Lucketts again this year. Looks like this is shaping up to be your bet year yet!

22. Eileen

Gorgeous items. That gardening pot brush is an item I would order online.

23. Heather @ Viral Upcycle

Marian, I just love seeing your fabulous finds and looking forward to seeing what comes of your parade carts! I think I may be able to swing a vegetable brush, can I buy them online? I hope you enjoy Lucketts this year and speaking at the conference!

24. Anne R

I would love it if you added the soaps and brushes to your online shop. Thank you.

25. Shawna

Please put brushes in your online shop!!! I would LOVE to buy some!! 🙂

26. Sherry Parks

The first photo is what we call a “commode” (not knowing the measurements). I have 2, both original oak, one painted. Normally a bowl and pitcher sat upon them and often with a sweet little towel rack rather than a mirror attached. Chamber pots fit nicely behind the swing doors.

• Miss Mustard Seed

Yeah, this is actually taller and larger, in general and is definitely a buffet. It has felt-lined upper drawers for silver storage.

27. Courtney Taylor

I’m so blessed to live in NOVA now and I can’t wait to go to Lucketts after hearing about it all these years! I pray that awesome high boy is there because I will scoop it right up!

28. Cheryl

It’s just like Christmas!! So many wonderful things. You have such wonderful tastes!!.

29. Audra Blair

Chiming in to say – yes please! Brushes would be splendid to find in the online shop!

30. Krista

Such beautiful furniture pieces! Can’t wait to see how you paint them! The soaps & brushes are so cute too!

31. Tracy H

Yes interested in the soap and sheets. Thank you. I love your blog. I also wanted to let you know I borrowed your idea of braiding the twine to make a border for my foot stool. I also just purchased the hemp oil and I am using it everywhere. My husband thinks I am going a bit crazy with it, but hey it really does make everything look better. LOL. Thanks again. Happy St Patrick’s Day.

32. Mary

Would love to see the smalls online. Wish I coulld go to lucketts, as well.

33. Kim

Must have the brushes and soap!!! 🙂

34. phyllis henry

Marian-you continue to inspire us with your lovely photos, ideas, creations and displays. I’m sure that every one of us reading your blog wishes we could be a fly on the wall as you work and redeem these lovely furniture pieces. If I had one wish, it would be to be in your booth, first in line, to peruse the lovelies you bring to show. But, since I cannot, I feel so lucky to view so many of the things you have “Mustardized”, as I can only hope to create something in that style for my home. I’m sure you will continue to reveal more of your goodies; and while I ache to lay my hands on them, I am also inspired by the descriptions and reasons you give for the choices of what you have chosen to include in the market.
    So yes, please make available any and all of your products so that we can take home a little of the mustard seed for ourselves. Keep up the inspiring work you do. Phyllis

35. Susan M

I would definitely order brushes and soap! Also am very interested in sheets as I need to recover two wingback chairs. 🙂 Round Top/Marburger Farms/Texas Antiques week starts 3/29. Will send you photos when I go!

36. PJ

LOVE the wheels on that cart!

37. Jennifer

Love it All!! I had the exact same spool bed (double/full size). I convinced my husband to cut the frames and remove enough of the spindles to make it a twin size. By cutting the head board legs the same height as the foot board – it made a nice daybed. He then made a plywood frame( with casters) twin size to fit underneath the spool bed – voila! a trundle bed! It is painted robin’s egg blue and fits in an upstairs dormer in the guest room. I draped a gauzy curtain over it all like a train berth. Now the growing grandchildren have a fun place to sleep when they visit.

38. AnnW

Your dad should be in charge of all buying. Acquisitions Director, that can be his title. Or Quartermaster. That might be more familiar to him. He has an eye!

• Kim Wagner

Trust me. Marian finds the pieces and sends him the link and he takes it from there. Contacting and procuring He loves doing it for his baby girl :). He occasionally will end up getting another piece from the seller and he normally gives them her card and wears a Miss Mustardseed t-shirt or sweatshirt. So he is a great advertiser.

MMS’s Mom

39. Deb Nathan

Your vegetable brushes are called tawashi in Japan and I use them to scrub my pots and pans all the time. Softer than scrubby sponges but better than just a regular sponge.

40. Donna Doble-Brown

Oh my gosh! Can I have one of EVERYTHING? Is that a queen headboard and footboard?????? I just LOVE IT!

41. Sally

You, Kriste and your Dad did good! I wish I could go to Lucketts! The chair you did yesterday was calling my name! I love buffalo check and especially that shade. I would order some brushes if you decide to stock them. Thanks for asking. If that chair doesn’t sell I want it!!!

42. Deborah D

I was wondering if you had the soaps, brushes and twine in your shop. Please get some cause I’m not sure if I can make it to Luckett ‘ s this year.

43. Eileen B. Nally

I would definitely be interested in purchasing these items from your shop! Look forward to them being available.

44. Bonnie Formisano

Hi, Marian – Love seeing all the goodies you’re taking to Lucketts. Would love to buy some of the soap and brushes thru your shop! Also the antique hemp sheets!

45. Mimi

I just want to say I have been following your blog for about a year now, and I love absolutely everything you do. Your furniture makeovers are THE best in blog land as far as I’m concerned, the only thing I hate is that there are no retailers for your products near me, and I just swoon over the chippy paint finish only milk paint seems to provide. Maybe someday, but please don’t stop showing us your beautiful work!

46. Ruth

Yes, the brushes online please. I want one of each!

47. Faye Gilbreath

Oh! How exciting to see all of these great pieces you and your Dad found.. I love your ideas for them
    and look forward to seeing them when they are finished.. I would love the have some the soap and brushes. I Hope you decide to stock them.

48. Jennifer

I think those industrial carts would have made very cool outdoor patio/deck bars/buffets that you could roll around. I kinda liked those ginormous wheels! Oh, and I’ll take the soap, brushes, twine……….. excellent and interesting finds, as always!

49. Marybeth Gill

omg I love the dark cabinet, I can’t wait to see how you paint it!!!!! I am about ready to strip a 3/4 headboard and footboard, make it into a bench, and possibly whitewash/pickle it!!!!!!! wish me luck!!!!!

50. Mary Borgsmiller

I would love for you to offer the brushes, soap and twine on your online shop. Very interested. I too like the texture but also like their utility and love love love good soaps!

51. tammy

Hi Marion — I would really love to get some of those soaps. I’ve been on the look for them!
    Thanks!
    Tammy

52. Beverly Ebersole

Hi Marion, I would love a vegetable brush and dish brush.

Thanks, Bev

53. PATRICE BURCHETT

I would like some soaps. Thanks, Patrice

54. Trina Williams

Yes, please make some of the brushes, soaps and twine available online! That are all wonderful!

55. Cheryl

Marion, you girls continue to inspire me and I can feel the excitement growing for the Lucketts weekend. Really hoping I can make the trip. I’m very happy with the outcome of my first makeover with MMS paint, a sweet chair for my sewing room. I look forward to your blog each day to see what you gals , and your sweet Dad help, have gathered for a makeover, repurpose. Thank you all??

56. kddomingue

Definitely offer the brushes and twine! Good brushes are hard to find. Oh! And the soap!

57. Naomi S.

The furniture pieces–especially that wardrobe–are great finds. I like the look of the soaps, too. Do you know what the ingredients in them are? I try to use products with no irritants or perfumes.

Well, you girls will surely be busy from now on til the Lucketts show! I hope all the projects go without a hitch.

58. Kathy Bahn

Yes, yes, yes – please get some of the brushes in your online shop – for sure the vegetable & dish –
    I think they’d all be great to have as well as the great soaps, too!!!
    When & if you do, please let us know!!!!
    Love all you do and all your great ideas!! Kathy

59. Beth Bull

I live in Kentucky so I’d love to be able to purchase the smaller items from your online shop. I look forward to opening your emails every day to see your furniture finds/makeovers!

60. Judy Lincicum

Hi Marion, I would definitely be interested in the twine and brushes! Actually, I am one of the people you speak of; I cannot always afford the furniture, and I live in Arizona! but I would be interested in any pieces that would give me “that look” that you are famous for! Say, btw; I am looking for a friend that would be interested in some road trips that I could ride with to attend the Luckette’s events and other events in your area that you are famous for. Like that miles long garage sale even that they have once a year. But I am 70 years old and do not drive much. Do you know, or do your readers know of anyone that loves to road trip and shop that needs a companion? I would even be willing to fly to a certain destination to meet them and then we could leave from there. Sounds kinda dangerous, doesn’t it, but if I could get references of people who know them I should be ok.

61. Bambi Mayer

Would love some of you brushes and the soap!

62. Laurie

I would love to order a pot brush and that beautiful soap if it was in your shop.

63. Vicki King

I would definitely order the soap if all the ingredients were posted with it so I could read them, and if it weren’t too expensive — I have very fine, finicky, sensitive skin. I can find NO soap or detergent bar that doesn’t rash me out. This might work!

Thank you so much for asking. vk

64. Junitta

Yes, Soaps And brushes!

65. Natalie in Ohio

I too vote YES to selling those fabulous brushes and soap in your online Shop!

I’ve been waiting for more of your 12-ply red and white baker’s twine to be sold in your online Shop again. If you wouldn’t mind creating a “Waiting List” for your Followers who want to buy your “sold out” items, please list me for 1spool!

I’d love to see you sell ALL of your treasures in your online Shop, so everyone has the opportunity to purchase them! Your ironstone, furniture, and all of your decor items ~ fans, typewriters, linens and quilts, baskets, containers, wooden spoons, scales, doll furniture, vintage books, dishes, lamps, artwork (the sampler you showed us the other day was lovely, and would have sold in a heartbeat online), etc., etc.!

All of your new finds are fabulous, but that wardrobe… WOW, it’s stunning! Love, love, love it!

You have the best luck finding the greatest home decor pieces Marian! Maybe you should play the lottery! 🙂

66. Paula

I think the scallop wardrobe would be better painted…the scallops will stand out better…and it would be so sweet in a white…..

67. Sally Christiansen

I would be interested in one of those pot brushes. What fun projects you have going.

68. Sharon

Count me in on the brushes and soap. I hope you will be adding some hemp sheets to your online shop?

69. Wendy Fitzwater

I’d love to purchase the flax twine! Thanks!

70. Michelle

Yes, please make the soap, brushes and twine available to purchase on line. I have been in search of a good dish brush and I can never find the soap anywhere. I would buy one of each if offered. Thank for the offer!

71. Beth

Love the cupboard with the scallops! I’m a sucker for scallops:)

72. Sarah

Yes please!!! Would love to buy the soaps, brushes etc ?I live to far away to see you at Lucketts.?

73. Machee Whitesides

I would be very interested in soap and brushes in you online shop! Can’t wSit!

74. Harriett

Yes, yes, yes. I am interested in all the items that may be on the online shop….please, please, please!

75. Susan

Great soap. Those industrial carts might make a cool potting bench. Great furniture finds too. I vote to paint the wardrobe with a different color on the inside. The scallops are so cute. Thanks for the inspiration!

76. Dana Wall

I have an obsession with those soaps. My problem is that I hate to use them they are so pretty!! Can’t wait to see what becomes of the cart, I have some similar pieces so will stand by!

77. Julie Ferrer

Yes please order more soaps and brushes for online custumers! Thanks!

78. Julie Kisling

I definitely would be interested in some brushes! Thanks.

79. Katie Thomas

Oooo…..I could so use a pot brush to brush off the old stuck on dirt from the year before. So YES please put some of your small items on your online ship 🙂

80. Lauren

Those pieces are all wonderful!! I can’t wait to see what you do with the industrial carts, cleaning carts would be awesome!!

Lauren | Lovely Decor
    xx

81. Shannon

I’m still chomping at the bit to see the bench you build from the bed frame. Hopefully soon!?!?!

82. Shannon

This Shannon is dying to see headboard turned bench too! How goes progress on this project???