Some of my favorite finds

by | Sep 6, 2009 | Antiques, Favorite Finds | 12 comments

Decorative painting and murals is my main business, but I also buy and sell antiques & home decor. I LOVE thrifting, junking, yard saling, fleaing (I’m making up a lot of words, here), attending auctions, dumpster diving, and digging through the attics, barns, and basements of my family & friends. I’m going to start sharing with you some of my favorite finds and how I’ve used them in my home.
This chandelier was $4.00!! No lie. It was in a box at a yard sale with a piece of paper on it that said “chandelier, $5.” When I opened the box and pulled out the paper, I was expecting some builder grade, nasty brass thing, but I pulled out a huge bag of crystals. Sold. I didn’t need to see the rest of the chandelier. I asked if they’d take $4.00 for it, paid the people, and walked calmly to the car. Of course, I felt like I just stole the thing… All of the crystals were there and my father-in-law rewired it for me.

This antique yellow ware bowl was $7.00, which seems like a lot following my $4.00 chandelier, but for those of you who know yellow ware, this was a bargain.

Each of these ironstone platters were $1.00 a piece or less. (Does the center one look crooked to you? I’ll have to fix that.) Ironstone is one of the things I buy almost every time I see it at a yard sale or thrift store. The headboard was $15 (I’m hoping to replace it some day with a french style bed frame) and the coverlet was $8.00.

This dresser was a $30.00 Craig’s List find, the fan was a $12.00 E-bay purchase, and the ironstone wash set was $5.00. I purchased it from my neighbor’s yard sale and they gave me a deal. The picture above is of my grandmother at a summer camp in the 1930’s, so it was free out of their attic.

This dresser was $25 at a yard sale. The finish was in poor shape (I wish I had a before picture), so I painted it and sprayed the brass handles black. The prints were free from my mom. Keep checking back for more favorite finds…

1. Michelle

WOW…what fabulous deals you found. The chandelier for $4 is unheard of here. But the yellow ware bowl is a treasure…love it!

2. Sue

Major bargain on the chandy! I love the white plates on the wall and the pitcher/bowl. You are truly a good thrifter!
    🙂 Sue

3. Its So Very Cheri

Did you know there is a way to set your account up with a link so people can click on it in the follower section, instead of having it in the about me area. If you need help with that let me know.

Cheri

4. Glenda/MidSouth

Wow! That was a great deal on the chandelier.

5. Jan

Great, great finds! I love the chandelier! I would have felt like I was stealing it for $4 too! Wonderful deal!

6. Helen Joy

LOVE the ironware on the wall over the bed! So so pretty.

7. Stephanie

I love your furniture makeovers. They all look fabulous!! That chandelier….what a great find!
    Stephanie

8. Alicia

I love the platters above the bed. Don't you love being able to bring old, older things to life again. I love the dresser. I found a ceiling fan for free and it's really nice and seems to have all the hardware, I just can't find someone to hang it for me.

9. Linda@Coastal Charm

What a deal you got on the chandelier…saw one last week at our Junior League Resale Shop and passed on it, came back two days later and it was gone:( I also love the $30.00 dresser…great price! I see that you have just started your blog…I have too…stop by for a visit if you have time…Thanks!

Linda @coastalcharm

10. Goodwill Haunting

My first visit via Southern Hospitality … love reading your post … the chandelier was a fabulous find!