Generosity & A New Pic Trick

by | Nov 12, 2010 | Photography, Running a Business | 16 comments

There are some cool perks to having a blog.  There are really, really sweet ladies out there who send me things they think I might like or be able to use.  I’ve already shared the overwhelming response from the blog world when I asked for sheet music.  I am going to be set for months, maybe longer.  In the last few weeks, I’ve received some really fun goodies in the mail.
Check out these tiles sent to me by Molly Mackey from Molly Coddle.  She’s taken photographs from Italy and France and applied them to tumbled marble to use as art or trivets.

I particularly love the ones with typography on them.

Thanks, Molly!
Second, I received sheet music from Cori of Starview Sonnet.  She spotted some “Wild Rose” sheet music and immediately thought of the shop that sells my antiques and creations.  She sent me two copies, so I’m giving one to Lynette, the owner of “Wild Rose and Company Marketplace.”

Cori also made me blush with this post.  I know how she feels.  I always get excited to see my work on blogs I admire.
My last thank you goes out to a very sweet woman from Georgia, who spotted a box of brass butterflies in a thrift store for $1.00 and knew I could give them the German glass glitter treatment and make them beautiful.

It’s been hard to find these that are not outrageously priced, so please let me know if you ever spot any for a cheap-o price.

A couple of you noticed my new picture on my sidebar.  I learned a new trick through my friend Maria of Dreamy WhitesFlora Bella Actions by Shana Rae for Adobe PhotoShop Elements (PSE.)
Scroll your mouse over the pictures below to view them with “action” and without.  The difference is amazing.  It takes good photos and makes them stunning.
(By the way, I actually took my profile picture myself with a tripod and a timer.  I had sweats and a bright green Frog Tape t-shirt under the chic scarf).
I was wowed by Shanna Rae’s portfolio, but I wasn’t sure how the actions would work on home decor pictures, which is mostly what I take, as you know.  After visiting her site several times and ogling over it, I decided to purchase the Luxe package.  I have been playing with it since late last night and I already know I want to buy more.

I definitely won’t use these actions all the time, but they add a nice somethin’ somethin’ to pictures.  Neat trick, huh?

I have to get to bed at a reasonable time tonight, since I have the Swanky Junque Swap with The Graphics Fairy tomorrow.  We have a cozy (aka small), but very quality group.  Holly from Roller Coaster Life, Stephanie from Dial M for Minky, Sarah aka The Thriftress and Britanie of Snickety Snacks to name a few.  It is going to be a blast and I’ll tell you all about it.
Miss Mustard Seed

Just as a disclaimer, I was not paid by any of these people to say nice things about them.  🙂

1. Micah

LOVE the new profile pic!!! PSE is SO neat…too bad I'm not smart enought to work mine. HA!

2. Carla

Love your blog, but what's up with the Bob Parsons.me Viewer Discretion Advised ad in your sidebar?

3. Kristen White

What wonderful goodies your friends sent you :O) Can't wait to see what you create!!!!
    Kristen

4. michelle

Your new profile pic is beautiful and what great gifts you received! I have never seen those butterflies until you first posted about them and now I keep my eyes open!! Love the actions too, things like that are addicting!! 🙂

5. Holly @ Roller Coaster Life

It wouldn't be right if you got all fancy for a picture for your blog! You are a worker bee and you should be wearing a frog tape t-shirt {with a nice scarf! haha}

Those pictures are really cool! I am so cheap I still use my picnik! haha

See you tomorrow!!

6. SueAnn

That is a super trick…love it!!
    And congrats on all your gifts! That is super!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

7. Cath

Very Nice! I will eventually learn PSE for now still working on getting that camera.

Just a side note, years ago I had those very butterflies from HI. Somewhere along the line, I think they went at a yard sale. (can you see me kicking myself?) See I told my hubs that we need to keep EVERYTHING cause ya never know when I'll need it! LOL if I if do still have them, I'll send your way.

8. LouLou

What sweet goodies…. Aren't bloggers the best? It's a small world… I'm good friends with Shana's best friends.. We all "met" through our Guatemalan adoptions… She has a little boy about the same age as my girls. She's one talented lady…. I"m horrible at taking pictures. That's something I really need to work on..
    Have a great weekend!

9. LouLou

Have a great weekend!

10. LouLou

Have a great weekend!

11. Ann Marie @ Twice Lovely

Cara and I went to a swap in Mesa last night, and it was SO fun! I'm thinking of trying to plan another one for up here in Prescott! Hope you guys have a blast!

12. Pondside

The generosity of bloggers is wonderful, isn't it?

13. Marianne@Songbird

Yes indeed your new profile pic is very swanky indeed.
    And so good that you took it yourself!

14. Nutbird

I didn't know that blog writers like to get packages! I am in the "Release" phase of my Catch and Release antiques program. I will forward anything that fits your aesthetic. Don't tell my mother, but I am in Florida in her butterfly collecting apartment at assisted living, so I will start looking around. Since I don't need to buy anything, I can start looking for butterflies at thrift stores. You should have a contest to see who can get the best deal. Thanks for giving me a reason to go to Goodwill.

15. Alyssa

What a lovely new profile photo! The tiles are just amazing, and I love the inspiring stories of how you've come by some of your things.

16. Cori

Love the new pic bloggie girlfriend….so nice to see the sheet music there and I'm glad you could share the 2nd copy with the owner of the shop.

I do have a question for you….I'm working on the ornaments for my consignment space like crazy…wondering if I'll have any Christmas "spirit" left to decorate my own house…kind of like the shoemaker whose kids didn't have any shoes…LOL..