home again

by | Aug 9, 2016 | All Things Home, crafts, Tutorials | 18 comments

I rolled into my driveway last night around 11:00 pm, after teaching an 8:00 am class in Atlanta, GA, followed by packing the car, hanging out with friends, and finally an 11 hour drive home.

I spent much of today in a post-Haven-haze that wasn’t helped by the fact that I’ve had a head cold for the past few days!  It was a great trip, though.  Busy, but great.  I’ll tell you more about it in another post.

For now, it’s good to be home again.

mms-9851

I spent most of my day doing things that needed to be done, like laundry and restocking the fridge, and spending time with my guys.  Calvin especially needed some “mommy time”.  I smiled and told him we “hugged our way through the grocery store” as we checked out, which was pretty much true.

While we were out and about, running errands, I asked Jeff if I could run into the craft store and pick up some paints.  I was so eager to work with watercolors again and didn’t want that excitement to dwindle.  I had the free palette I got from the class, but I’m a girl who believes in using quality paints, so I wanted to upgrade to some higher end watercolors.

mms-9849

A part of learning new things often involves feeling like an idiot as your trying to figure out how to get things out of their wrappers!  I finally solved the puzzle and declared victory.

So, when the errands and chores were at least at a “good stopping point” and I spent some good time being a “Lego piece finder”, and my e-mail inbox was under control, I pulled out the paints and stole away a little bit of time for myself.

When I was in the workshop at Haven, I was playing around with mixing the colors and never quite got to the right green.  The wreath I painted there ended up looking very Christmasy.  So, I wanted to try again, with the experience fresh in my mind, but use my favorite blue/green color palette.

mms-9853

Now we’re talking.

mms-9869

My workshop wreath also got a little wild as I tried to fix the wonky shape, so I wanted to practice painting a wreath again, too.

mms-9867

I love the way the colors flow through the water and how you have to wait for it to dry to see the real magic happen.  My head is already buzzing with all sorts of ideas.

I have more errands in the morning, but then I’ll be back in the studio tomorrow afternoon…

1. michelle

Great finds and I am glad that you are home safely! Sorry it is so cold! I can't wait to see how you decorate your home and have fun finding a tree!! Sometimes that is the best part! Or so i remember, haven't had a real tree since elementary school either! 🙂

2. freckled laundry

I am such a homebody, too. Whenever I'm away, I think, "It's SO nice to get away" and then my next thought is, "I can't wait to be home." Go figure. Can't wait to see your mantel. I just blogged about mine tonight…I'm making progress! That counts, right?

Hugs,
    Jami

3. MBA Spouse Survival Guide

"Me lovey" an foreigner accent! I find it very interesting the way words sound in different pronunciations.
    Glad you had a safe trip back home! Vanessa

4. Tattered & Timeless

Glad you are back home and ready to start swinging that decorating wand on your house. I can't wait to see all the new cool things you share with us.
    Here's to hoping next time you are in NC we can hit Clines.
    tammy

5. Megan

ditto what Jami said… I love leaving! but I love coming home more 🙂 Welcome back Miss Mustard Seed! 🙂

6. saltbox treasures

Welcome home. Christmas tree tips:
    keep it in water, it drinks a lot, don't put it near a heat vent or close the vent. Are you going to cut your own? That is the best part, even if you go to a tree farm. It's our annual tradition.
    ~ Julie

7. Betty

I'm a new subscriber to your blog…came via Trish at Old Post Road. She's a friend from many years ago.

Dodgy…we have English friends who visited us two years ago and we enjoyed them so much…just to hear their lilting voices and words that were new to us…we speak on the phone quite often and I hate to say bye…such a pleasure to converse with Marion…

I enjoy your posts….
    God Bless…
    Betty @ Country Charm

8. Heaven's Walk

Welcome home! I'm a homebody just like you.

LOL! YES! I adore listening to that beautiful English (or Australian) accent! I could listen to it all day!

Wonderful finds, MMS! You'll find yourself totally obsessed with grain sacks before you know it. I did!! lol!

When you say "live tree", do you mean "potted live tree" or "cut live tree"? If it's cut, just be sure that it you recut it a couple inches shorter when you get it home and let it sit in a bucket of water outside for a couple days. If it's potted, just be sure to keep it watered well in the house, and as soon as Christmas is done, move it back outside and get it planted asap! 🙂

We decided on live potted tree this year so that we aren't cutting any down (more ecologically correct!). That way we can plant it outside in the yard and enjoy it for years to come!

xoxo laurie

9. Funky Junk Interiors

Welcome home! The grain sacks looked so comforting in the blogroll. 🙂

I'm totally curious about your Christmas decor. I KNOW it will be like no other.

And congrats on all your reviews lately! That is so exciting in itself!

Donna

10. Jan

Can't wait to see your decorations! Heres a great "trick" to keeping your Christmas tree fresh..Get a big bottle of Sprite soda, pour half in another bottle and fill up the remaining soda in the bottle with water! Trees love the sugar and they really drink it up!

11. SueAnn

Love those grain sacks!! Can't wait to see how you decorate for Christmas! I know it is going to be fabulous!!
    I am decorating this week as well…have my tree up and that is as far as I have gotten. Ha! Have to go pull out the ornies and such!
    Congrats on the True Value gig! That is super!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

12. Kim @ Cheap Chic Home

I laughed out loud (really!) at the "dodgy" comment. I can't believe anything in your house has stayed the same all year–I was wondering where those cool stone birds where, I haven't seen them in any of your photos in ages. I'm glad you're all safe and sound.

13. bj

Glad you had a good time and are back home. 🙂

Wasn't it you that told us how to wash our new piece of burlap? I have a new piece that I want to do a runner with and don't I need to wash it first? I washed one in the washing machine on gentle..oh, my, the burlap isn't nearly as pretty as it once was. 🙁

14. Erika

As lucky as I am to have a loving husband that ensures we get to my parents at least every other month, I am grateful to come home. And my soon to be three year old son is more excited about being home than me:) I think he misses his toys and "big boy" bed.

15. Alyssa

Trips are so fun, but you're right. It's definitely good to walk into your own home. And your mantle's beautiful, but I'd love to see the red barn door!

16. Karen

Can't wait to see what you do with the tree bark…you are so creative I'm sure everyone will want to copy! 🙂
    Karen at Garden, Home and Party

17. Kate

Make sure you get a fresh cut on the tree and always use warm water so the sap doesn't build up along the bottom. the first time you water it put a tylenol in the water and enjoy your fresh christmas tree!