bay leaf christmas wreath

FacebookTwitterGoogle+Share

I had it in my mind that I wanted to use bay leaves in my Christmas decorating this year.  I wish I had it in my mind back in the spring, so I could’ve planted some…  But, anyway, I looked around for some bay wreaths that were fluffy and full and reasonably priced.   I ended up buying a pair on Etsy from McFadden Farms to hang on the corner cabinets in my dining room.

mms-4690

They are just the perfect touch and just what I had my mind set on.

mms-4691

They came with a small hook that I was able to slip over the top of each cabinet door to hang them.

mms-4681

And I’ll have plenty of bay leaves for soups, stews, and sauces this year!

mms-4693

I’m just going to let them dry and see how long they keep.

I also added a few Christmas touches to the home office. This room is a passthrough from the dining room to the kitchen (and the basement, the upstairs etc), so it’s nice to make this room a little festive.

I hung a fresh swag that I bought from Wegman’s on the bookcase, added a gingerbread house to the shelf above the radiator cover and the “Merry” pillow from my Society6 shop.  The checked chair is usually in the living room, but I moved it in here to make room for the Christmas tree.

mms-4699

As I typed this out, I realized gingerbread might not play nice with the radiator, but it’s hasn’t been an issue so far.  It’s quite possible I’ll come home to a flattened gingerbread house at some point, though…

mms-4700

I hope not, because this one turned out so sweet!  This is only my second year making gingerbread houses, but I love that each one has a personality.

mms-4705

I put a gingerbread tree on the back corner of this one, though, because the wall stuck out about 1/4″.  That’ll be our little secret.

mms-4708

Between the nobel fir, fresh juniper, bay wreaths, and gingerbread, the house just smells about as much like Christmas as it can.

Comments

1. I bet it smells devine in there. Your home looks beautiful. Merry Christmas!!!

2. Teresa says:

Love the bay leaf wreath and sweet little gingerbread house. My great-nephew’s pre-school class made gingerbread houses last week and they used waffle cones turned upside down for Christmas trees. They were so darling!

3. I have a bay tree, but I never associated it with Christmas decorating. I should trim it and make me some wreaths! BTW, make sure your wreaths are not treated with anything inedible before you save the leaves for cooking.

• Sheila says:

You have one in your yard?!! You must live in a warm part of the US. I had one for several years that I grew in a pot and brought inside each winter. It never got big enough to do much other than pick leaves off it once in a while. If it got big enough to clip enough for a wreath, it would be too big to bring in the house.

4. Sheila says:

Beautiful! Now I know what to send my brother and sister for Christmas this year.

• Sheila says:

Marian, You’ll be glad you didn’t plant bay in the spring. Bay laural (Laurus nobilis) is a mediterranean tree with a zone 8 hardiness. It would not have survived a Pennsylvania winter and are fairly slow growing as a potted plant. I had one for several years and it never got big enough to trim enough for a wreath! Great for cooking but not for trimmings! You would have to move to California or Texas or one of the gulf coast states to grow it in your yard. A nice potted plant to have if you have the space.

5. Marsha Kern says:

I love t all and I love your style!!

6. Mary Condon says:

As always soooo pretty!!!

7. Ms Merry Mac says:

Your posts make my heart smile. That is all.

8. Vicki Sheets says:

I love the wreath and all of the beautiful Ironstone. I always use some of your decorating ideas and love the gingerbread house with the Ironstone cake stand.

9. I ordered a 3 herb wreath from McFadden Farms earlier this Fall for a gift and it is beautiful. I believe all herbal wreaths from them are culinary but always a good idea to check if for human consumption. And bay leaves are good for deterring pantry pests. Just spread the dried leaves on your panty shelves.

10. Carolyn says:

They are so beautiful. I have bought them from the same company. Love how they look as they dry out. They last a long time after they are dry. Merry Christmas🎄

11. Karen K from Buffalo says:

Please let us know how long they last in your house! I wish they had two wreaths half that size as my hutch doors are not that big. I bet it smells wonderful, but that gingerbread house will be nibbled on before Christmas!! LOL

12. Nicole says:

I love purchasing from McPadden Farm! I send their wreaths and swags to my family members around the country as Christmas gifts each year :) I always want to get one for myself! Yours look beautiful!

13. Beth Cameron says:

The radiator may not be the problem…. Sweet Sebastian may fine the house irresistible. I love seeing how he has found a place in your home and studio.
    Merry Christmas.
    Beth

14. B. Folk says:

It all looks heavenly (I can almost smell it)! I will have to look for smaller bay wreaths. I am itching to decorate, but can’t yet…had minor surgery and can’t lift anything much. May have to cram in the decorating a few days before Christmas;)

15. Naomi S. says:

Oh, lovely, those bay leaf wreaths! It all looks great, Marian! I am dying to get time to bake gingerbread and try one of the little houses as well as some gingerbread men I have to go back a few posts to find the recipe for the gingerbread and the icing that you used. I think I remember them being posted.

Have we seen your tree yet? I may have missed a post or two, but I don’t remember seeing it.

You are amazing in how much special stuff you accomplish. I wish I had half your energy!

16. DeAnna says:

I really like those bay wreaths. So pretty and full! Your home is lovely!

17. Kimberly says:

I was wondering if Sebastian might just take an interest in the gingerbread house? He seems like a mellow guy, not mischievous or destructive, but sometimes animals will get curious about something that smells edible and take a bite out of it. I’m curious if gingerbread is safe for a dog to eat should he decide to sample it?

You have a number of lovely old, antique/vintage books above your radiator. They appear to be leather bound? Do you find you have to take special care to keep them from drying out and/or falling apart because of the heat? I adore old books, the older the better, and was always a bit wary of keeping them away from the heat vent and the sun, but am wondering if perhaps your hemp oil would restore leather covers?

18. Leslie says:

It all looks so festive! I especially love the bay wreaths.

19. SHeila says:

The wreaths are 20% off right now!