four chairs, a pin cushion & poutine

FacebookTwitterGoogle+Share

I totally missed announcing that I was listing some new things in my online shop tonight, but they are there!  I listed a few larger pieces as well, including the hand painted night stands that were in our master bedroom for a few years.

I’m going to head out tomorrow to do some more shopping, so hopefully I’ll have some more awesome finds to list next week.

And, speaking of awesome finds, I picked up a couple of things on my trip to New York last week.

I found these chairs for the bargain price of $45 for all four!

mms-2088

I love how they have both a Swedish and farmhouse feel to them.

mms-2089

The rushing isn’t in perfect condition, but the seats are still sit-able and the chairs themselves are sturdy.  A seat cushion will solve the cosmetic issues, so I’ll either order or make some soon.  I’m leaning towards making them, just because I have something specific pictured in my head.

mms-2090

Now the questions is… to paint or not to paint?

I’m leaning towards painting them, but I’m not 100% , yet.  I need to look around for a little inspiration before I dive in.   They may just benefit from a little Hemp Oiling

mms-2092

I’ll keep you posted on how these beauties come along.

mms-2093

I also bought the sweetest little pin cushion made out of antique coverlet scraps.

mms-2097

My life has been changed by using magnetic bowls for my pins, but I couldn’t resist.

mms-2104

I had some amazing food while I was in New York as well.  We ate at a restaurant called the Warfield Restaurant & Bakery in Clifton Springs, NY.  (And by “we”, I mean me and Jenn from Eight Hundred.  My usual travel companions were all otherwise engaged, so I asked her if she would buddy around with me.)  Anyway, if you’re ever in the neighborhood, I strongly suggest eating there.  Everything was absolutely delicious.  Clearly their chef is very talented.  Just fair warning, though…the portions are huge!  I ate my dinner and then Jeff and I split the leftovers for dinner the next night.

Since it was nearing the end of the night, they also gave both me and Jenn a loaf of their signature bread they made that morning.  They make it fresh each day, so it was either pitch it or give it away.  Jenn and I nibbled on our loaves like squirrels on the trip home!

And, while at the Purple Painted Lady Festival, I was introduced to a new-to-me food, Poutine.  For those who had never heard of it, like me, it’s basically gourmet french fries.  The “original” is french fries topped with gravy, fresh thyme, and cheese curds.  You can get them topped with bacon, pulled pork, eggs, etc. to make a very food-trucky sort of meal.  Apparently Poutine is a Canadian thing?  And I was confused, because I thought cheese curds were a midwest sort of thing.  Whatever.  It was yummy.

poutine

And I had such a great time at the event.  I taught a couple of MMS Milk Paint demos and got to meet some “old friends” who have been reading my blog for years and introduce myself to others.

ppl-festival-3

There’s me with Flow Blue all over my hand!

I’ll be setting out on another trip in just over a week, this time to New Hampshire and then Massachusetts.  Just take a look at my sidebar for the details and I’ll post more about it in a few days.

Comments

1. B. Folk says:

Poutine is new to me, too. Looks and sounds delicious! Those chairs are really special, and what a steal. Would a Swedish “thing” be to paint some sort of simple flower on the topmost backrest? I think paint, too, but they are so unique, I’d be afraid of ruining them. Of course, that’s why you’re Miss Mustard Seed, and I’m not… I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything ruined on your blog:-)

2. Poutine is amazing, when you get a good one. The thyme is not traditional; a true routine is gravy and curds on fries. The trend of topping them with anything further is newer. It originated in Quebec and is widely available across all of Canada! 🍁

• Yes, I live in Canada and poutine is definitely a French Canadian invention. Usually it is loaded with gravy and curds, not a little bit like in this photo. Also, most Canadians eat vinegar on their French fries vs. ketchup!

• Cathy Froment says:

Not in my circle but I live out west.
        Personally, I like dippingredients mine in mayo, Chipotle mayo, Sriracha mayo…

3. Those chairs read very yellow/orange in the photos, so if it were me, I’d be getting out the paint. I hope some day to read that you’re heading to an event in the Ozarks. Can’t wait to see what treasures you have to share next week.

4. I hope you decide to paint them…I love seeing your transformations :)

5. TinaLou says:

Those look like Hitchcock chairs; can’t tell if authentic or reproduction. Judging by the price, I’d guess the latter, that or someone didn’t know what they had! I own one original and three repros; I find them to be comfy as well as sturdy. They were often painted black and stenciled in gold in traditional harvest patterns on the backrest. I think it would be very interesting to see your modern take with paint and scenery or a Swedish-inspired pattern. If you have time on your journey to or from NH and MA, you could stop by the company; they’ve been in business in Riverton, CT since the 1800’s.

• Yes, they sure do look like Hitchcock chairs! Could they be stripped ones?

• Barbara in CT says:

I agree that they look like Hitchcock chairs. I do regret to inform you that Hitchcock went out of business a few years ago. Heartbreaking, I know. They made chairs with a painting of the Redding, CT Congregational Church on the back. So happy that I got one.

6. I have six of those chairs, including two captains chairs. I am undecided on what to do with them so I can’t wait to see what you decide!

7. I’d love to see the chairs with hemp oil first – can you do that and then paint over it if you don’t like it? I can’t remember.

Also, just for fun I wrote another story (remember I wrote a little one about your horse you bought new and made to look old?). It’s about a camera bag I recently made. I know, who writes a story about a camera bag?! If you’d like to read it, here’s the link: http://everaftercottage.com/2016/09/28/a-satchel-a-blacksmith-and-a-story/ (and I feel very funny about posting that link here, so if you want to remove it, that’s fine).

Also, while you’re heading north, keeping going and come visit Maine again. :)

8. Those chairs are fabulous! And the pin cushion is adorable, too. I’m attending the Sage Farm Antique Show with my sister, so we’ll see you in NH next week!!

9. Love the chairs! But being swedish myself, I can tell you they don’t look swedish at all 😛

• marian says:

Ha! Well, maybe my interpretation of Swedish. :)

• elin noller says:

Or..a swedish immigrant that picked up some inspiration elsewhere? THAT I could see. America is a bit of a meltingpot after all 😀

10. Prima Hayter says:

Beautiful chairs! Just curious if you’re planning on keeping them or selling them. I’d love to purchase them for our kitchen table!

11. I’d say, paint the chairs! The wood color seems too orange… at least in the pictures.

12. Hey Marian,
    Can’t wait for you to come to our neck of the woods. I have a booth at Sage Farm Antique Show in October so hopefully we will see you there. I had 6 of those chairs that I had hoped to paint but we sold them as they were coming out of the van. Totally love that pincushion and it would be a great prototype for some old quilting fabric I have, what is it stuffed with?
    See you soon,
    Peggy

13. Cute chairs but I do think paint would give them a little more character

14. Holly says:

OMG!!!! I am so excited that I just bought your nightstands! I’ve been eyeing them up for a couple years now, and can’t wait to use them in our master bedroom. Thanks so much for the heads up that they were in your online shop. I promise they will be well-loved in their new home. I told my hubby that this is my bday and Christmas gift this year! Hooray!!!!!

15. Carol says:

When I was pregnant with twins I made my husband stop for poutine on the way to the hospital. Yes. I am Canadian and live in Ottawa, the capital city of Canada. And we love our poutine. McDonald’s even serves it on its menu.

16. Carlotta Lee says:

The chairs are very nice. There is a lady near me that used to work at the factory(Hinkle Chair Co.) that makes all the rocking chairs for Cracker Barrel. She “hand” works chair bottoms. Her work is gorgeous!!! if you were wanting to return those chairs to a more original shape, she’d fix you up. She’s too far from you, but, when I saw them, I thought of her. I’m excited to see what you do with them.

17. Pam king says:

I grew up with those exact chairs! Solid rock maple c. 1960 reproductions sold in high end furniture stores…, but excellent quality. I believe the “rush” is rolled paper. Well worth your effort Marion.

18. Sue Neumaier says:

They are definitely Hitchcock style. I have one but it is painted black..

19. I have the arm chairs that exactly match those. $10 each at a thrift store. The rush seats are still perfect. They are hard rock maple dated December 1964. They are very close to Hitchcock. However, I had a Hitchcock restorer look at them and he said they were not close to authentic Hitchcock. (Fooled me,) I was getting ready to paint and stencil them. I may have to wait to see what you do.

20. Well….I never thought I would see a post from you with poutine in the title. ha ha. You will have to come visit me as poutine is our “thing” in this part of Canada. Its a very French Canadian thing and more specifically a French Acadian thing and I live in the heart of Acadie. Made me laugh when I saw that. Looks like you had a great trip, can’t wait to see those chairs! Wendy from Front Porch Mercantile

21. Brenda says:

My father was in the military and as a child he was stationed in Alaska. We drove from Texas to Alaska( IN JANUARY!!). I those days it was very unusual for us to eat out but as we were traveling it was a must. My brother and I had cheese burgers and fries all across America. Imagine our surprise when we got to Canada and our burger and fries arrived with brown gravy!! We were horrified! I was only about 10 years old!! And we are talking about the seventies.

22. Oh my! These chairs are the same as my dining room chairs! They were my grandparents. I have the matching table. I can’t wait to see what you do with them.

23. Kim Price says:

Can’t wait to see what u do with the chairs. Maybe an initial on that back part? I’m sure it will be lovely.

24. Patty says:

Yes, definitely Hitchcock chairs. The style is “Inn Chairs”. At one time Hitchcock Furniture was made in black, white or green paint, Riverton (dark cherry stain) or Harvest (maple stain). Some of the case furniture had a painted body and stained natural wood doors/drawer fronts. My personal favorite is black with Harvest. All Hitchcock furniture has hand applied metallic stenciling. We bought chairs like yours but with the black finish in Rochester, NY in the early 70’s and then more furniture – chest of drawers, bachelor’s chest, night stand and armoire for the bedroom, china cabinet and mirror for the dining room, demilune console and candle table for the living room at the Hitchcock Factory in Riverton, CT in the 80’s. The Hitchcock Chair Company started in 1818. It did close in the early 2000’s but then was purchased several years later by an antique dealer who specializes in Hitchcock and the company has been making the furniture again ever since, including the beautiful Christmas, Thanksgiving and horse chairs. The wood on your chairs looks like someone stripped them. Probably because they thought the stenciling was “old-fashioned”. That means the Hitchcock name along the back near the seat is probably gone too. The company has a website that shows all the furniture it still makes and there’s another website for a business about an hours drive from Riverton that sells all used Hitchcock furniture from antique to newer-but-used. If you get a chance to stop in Riverton, CT you should, it’s a cute tiny New England village. There used to be a lot of antique shops in the area, but I don’t know if that’s still the case.

25. Those chairs are amazing, great deal I say leave them and oil them. tHe cushions I’m sure will speak to the chair with your style it will for sure be a perfect complement to the original wood of the chair, if you do paint them IM sure they will turn out great either way.

26. Lisa Nash says:

I’m Canadian ( I live in Ottawa) and so I laughed to myself when I saw the subject line of this latest blog! Yes, poutine definitely originates from Quebec ( there are a few versions of how this dish was actually conceived) and we in Ottawa have eaten poutine for several years. Why, we even have a “Poutine-fest” each year! Although they now come topped with everything under the sun, thyme is not original to this “dish”(?). Just fries, gravy and cheesecurds! Glad you enjoyed them Marion!

PS: has anyone eaten a “Beavertail”? Haha, that originates from Ottawa!

27. Paula Hubbard says:

Hi Marian! Your chairs are “Hitchcock Chairs” If you Google Image that, you’ll see that they were also done in black lacquer with gold stenciling. Let us know what you decide to do with them-I kind of like the natural wood-those have a great patina.

28. Dfitz says:

We spent a week in Montreal recently. You can get poutine with just about anything on it. Even hot dogs! My husband loves hot dogs so he was all over it. Yuck! We did enjoy poutine. Montreal was fun, especially since my heritage is French Canadian. Good memories of my French speaking parents. I don’t have the chairs you bought. But I am lucky enough to have a Hitchcock chair my dad bought for my mom. I can’t wait to see what you do with your chairs.

29. Diane Smith says:

Hello! Love your new chairs. I have a ladder back chair with a rushed seat that was my grandfather’s. The rushing was in terrible shape, so I got a book out of the library & rushed them myself. Very easy! I’d leave them natural, but I’m looking forward to seeing what you do with them!

30. Those chairs are amazing!

31. I have chairs just like those I found in a yard sale maybe 9 years ago painted white and they are still being used in my kitchen with the white painted round table I bought with them. I remember I gave $75 for all.
    Get out your oh so famous paint can girl