the zinc-topped table goes home…

FacebookTwitterGoogle+Share

I’m starting to wonder what I posted about before I had all of these furniture makeovers…

Today, we’ll take a break from the before & afters and I’ll tell a little story about a table with rickety, uneven legs.

He had one thing that made him really special, though – something that kept him from being a run-of-the-mill old table.  He wore a zinc top that had a perfect patina.

mms-1230

The problem was not one of his legs was the same size as another, so he sat at a wonky angle and, even though I tried to sell this table, no one wanted him.

mms-1179

So, I took him back to the studio and gave him a little TLC.  I sealed the chipping, flaking paint with Tough Coat

mms-1191

…evened out the legs and added little casters to the bottom…

mms-1189

You can read the full makeover post HERE.

mms-1215

He looked so much better with strong, straight legs and his nifty “roller skates”.  His manners have also improved, now that he’s keeping his old paint to himself instead of dropping it all over the floor.  .

mms-1225

I decided to keep the table for a while to use for photo shoots.

Then, I received an e-mail a few weeks ago from a sweet lady named Susie.  She was the vendor I bought the table from and she watched the makeover and has eyed it in my posts ever since.  She asked if she could buy it back from me.

“Oh, of course!!”

He’s been fixed and photographed, which are the two things I enjoy most about having a piece pass through my possession.  It’s only right that now he should go back home, where he was missed.

So, he did.

mms-1247

Comments

1. It’s like you rescued a pup, and it misses it’s mama. Cute story!

2. ahhh. I’m glad she had the courage to buy it back… we all have those regrets sometimes!
    ~Marcy

3. what a charming story!

4. And now you “know the rest of the story” ! So wonderful….it will live happily ever after!

5. I loved watching that table transformation! Good for you and great for Susie!

6. Becky says:

It’s a great table and a cute story to go with it.

7. renee says:

Awwwww

8. Melissa Leach says:

I love happy endings!

9. I love the lip on that table. It would be very good for potting plants and flower arranging. Or almost anything. My kitchen table has a copper top. It’s one of the only things in my house that I bought new.Lovely job.

10. Marlene Stephenson says:

It was a wonderful little table and I am sure will be glad to be back home. That was nice of you and a great little tale.

11. love this story and what a perfect makeover…..

12. So sweet of you! I have sold some things before and thought why did I do that!

13. OMGoodness, I have been looking for a table like this forever~! UGH~ Can you possibly recommend a place to purchase zinc? I have a table and can do it myself if I have to but can’t find the zinc~!
    Thanks much

• I had my heating/air conditioning/plumbing shop make a top for an 18×42″ table and it only cost about $30.

14. I love that table!!! It was so nice of you to sell it back to her!! You are the kindest person Marian!!

15. Cheryl says:

?❤️?LOVELY?

16. Laurie says:

I love the way you give each piece a personality!

17. Roseann D'Elia says:

Love the Piece. So happy he has found his way home

18. Chelsea says:

Aww. I still regret not buying this table from you at chapel hill. I just could not afford it at the time. Wish I could have gotten my hands on it!

19. Love the way you characterized the table, and it’s sweet how his previous owner missed him and wanted him back. Sounds like it was meant to be! ;0)

20. Naomi S. says:

Aww, that’s a sweet little story. He is a great-looking table now and I bet his owner/mama is thrilled to have him back. I would be!

21. What a darling post, Marian. I love your story telling, sing song tone of voice here!

22. Aww, cute table and cute story!

23. I had my heating/air conditioning/plumbing shop make a top for an 18×42″ table and it only cost about $30.

24. Susie says:

With a happy and full heart I say thank you Marian. This adorable table is home. The table certainly has a story to tell with a happy ending. I am blessed that Marian saw his potential, gave him the TLC he so deserved, wrote about him so I could watch, and I smiled when I saw him on the big screen. I missed him so and thought just ask. Sounds silly, but I questioned if it was the right thing to do, well my heart said it was so I did. When I read the email and saw the “of course” my heart skipped a beat. I scheduled his pick up and off I went. My visit to the MMS studio was far more than a table pick up. I learned a lot that day. This sweet little table did far more than come home, it has been a teacher. I am thankful for the table, but most of all I am blessed to have a new friend, hugs Marian.

25. Jamie says:

Love the table, love the story!

26. Vicki says:

Love the table and his story but I was distracted by the ironstone pitcher sitting on it! I just purchased what looks like the exact same pitcher at a thrift shop today! Mine is marked J & G MEAKIN England. Is that similar to yours?

27. I loved this table when I saw it at The Market on Chapel Hill last October. A sweet post with a happy ending.?

28. Love that table, before AND after ~ I would have wanted it in either condition! You were so kind and generous to let Susan buy it back!
    I would also love to know where zinc can be found, if you wouldn’t mind sharing! I have some of the old “roller skates” (love that!!!) stashed away, and would add them to a waiting piece in a minute if I could top it off with zinc!
    And, thanks for your continued inspiration with your furniture “re-do’s” … we love them!