the studio is full of possibilities

FacebookTwitterGoogle+Share

I was down to just a few things in my to-do stash and that lasted for about two minutes.

Kriste and I went shopping on Monday and brought home some great pieces AND my dad scored a few things on craigslist AND I received a few shipments.  You know when you get home from the grocery store and dump all of your bags on the kitchen floor?  Now, imagine that with furniture and boxes and bags of antiques and home decor.  That’s what the studio was like today – stuff all over the floor and in no particular order.

It was a little chaotic, but it was exciting, too.  And, oh, the possibilities!

From our shopping trip, we brought home this pretty oak buffet…

mms-5587

It’s almost exactly like one I bought and painted for Lucketts last year…

mms-7001

We also got this sweet highboy.  It has such a pretty and simple shape…

mms-5603

And, from craigslist, my dad delivered this interesting piece…

mms-5606

It’s clearly a buffet with the legs cut off, but I think with the addition of some wheels, it’ll make a unique coffee table, storage for the end of a bed or even a low TV stand.  I’m planning to leave the doors and drawers as is and just paint the frame.

And, this beautiful wardrobe…

mms-5610

It is just such a cool piece with interesting graining and I love the scalloped detail.

mms-5612

I am going to remove the piece added to the top that holds the doors closed.  That was added, because the latch doesn’t work, but I’m just going to replace it with a new (old) latch that I already had in my hardware stash.  I am not going to paint the exterior of this piece, but I plan to add shelves to and paint the interior to brighten it up and make it more functional for storage.

mms-5615

And he picked up two of these industrial cleaning carts.  These were a bit of a gamble, but they weren’t expensive, so I decided to go for it.  When my dad delivered them, I realized they were a lot larger than I thought they were!  Those wheels were huge, making the pieces a height that wasn’t very “residential-friendly.”

mms-5585

I was planning to just remove the wheels and replace them with smaller wheels to make them counter-height, but that plan was foiled when I realized they were soldered on.

mms-5581

Well, my studio happens to be in an industrial park.  Just me and Kriste and a bunch of guys who make pole buildings and conveyer belts.  We can tell immediately when someone is making a delivery for them and they stop in the studio by mistake, since we’re the first building.  They step in, look around, squint their eyes, look at their shipping order and then at us.  “Umm…I’m delivering sheet metal…”

We get quite a kick out of it.

I went down there with a picture of the soldered wheels and they referred me to a machine shop that’s just right down the road.  I called them and they said they would take on my project, so Kriste and I took a little field trip and wheeled the carts over to the shop.  Just a few yards behind a mom pushing her baby in a stroller.  It was quite the parade.

Anyway, they removed the wheels for me, so I can make these counter-height and I am super excited about my ideas for styling them.

Cleaning carts will be all the rage!

My dad also delivered a free headboard and footboard from my aunt.  It is just begging to be made into a bench, so I shared my vision with Jeff and I hope he can make it happen for me.

mms-5625

We also received several boxes of goodies I ordered a couple of weeks ago.  I got a whole bunch of (what I think are) the most photogenic soaps on earth – Savon De Marseille.  They are just so pretty. (And, I suppose it should be said, they are really high quality soap as well.)

mms-5655

And I got a bunch of my favorite German dish brushes…

mms-5657

…vegetable brushes…

mms-5662

And gardening pot brushes!

mms-5600

How sweet are these, to dust out your pots before planting?

mms-5602

And I got a few rolls of flax twine.  It looks like cotton twine, but the weave is much tighter and it has a nice feel to it.

mms-5665

I bought these things in order to fill baskets and cubbies and for texture!  You may have noticed, all of the brushes, soaps and twine bring a lot of visual texture to the table.  I also like that they are inexpensive items.  I know not everyone can buy a piece of furniture or spend a ton of money, so I like offering things that are a few dollars and are still a piece of my style that customers can take home.  I’m excited for how these things enhance my space at the Lucketts Spring Market this year.

I’m considering ordering more soaps and brushes to list in the online shop, so let me know if you’re interest!

Also, I have an order of antique hemp sheets coming soon…

I’ll share more finds and, of course, the furniture makeovers as they are completed.

Comments

1. Hi Marion — I would really love to get some of those soaps. I’ve been on the look for them!
    Thanks!
    Tammy

2. Hi Marion, I would love a vegetable brush and dish brush.

Thanks, Bev

3. PATRICE BURCHETT says:

I would like some soaps. Thanks, Patrice

4. Trina Williams says:

Yes, please make some of the brushes, soaps and twine available online! That are all wonderful!

5. Cheryl says:

Marion, you girls continue to inspire me and I can feel the excitement growing for the Lucketts weekend. Really hoping I can make the trip. I’m very happy with the outcome of my first makeover with MMS paint, a sweet chair for my sewing room. I look forward to your blog each day to see what you gals , and your sweet Dad help, have gathered for a makeover, repurpose. Thank you all??

6. kddomingue says:

Definitely offer the brushes and twine! Good brushes are hard to find. Oh! And the soap!

7. Naomi S. says:

The furniture pieces–especially that wardrobe–are great finds. I like the look of the soaps, too. Do you know what the ingredients in them are? I try to use products with no irritants or perfumes.

Well, you girls will surely be busy from now on til the Lucketts show! I hope all the projects go without a hitch.

8. Kathy Bahn says:

Yes, yes, yes – please get some of the brushes in your online shop – for sure the vegetable & dish –
    I think they’d all be great to have as well as the great soaps, too!!!
    When & if you do, please let us know!!!!
    Love all you do and all your great ideas!! Kathy

9. Beth Bull says:

I live in Kentucky so I’d love to be able to purchase the smaller items from your online shop. I look forward to opening your emails every day to see your furniture finds/makeovers!

10. Judy Lincicum says:

Hi Marion, I would definitely be interested in the twine and brushes! Actually, I am one of the people you speak of; I cannot always afford the furniture, and I live in Arizona! but I would be interested in any pieces that would give me “that look” that you are famous for! Say, btw; I am looking for a friend that would be interested in some road trips that I could ride with to attend the Luckette’s events and other events in your area that you are famous for. Like that miles long garage sale even that they have once a year. But I am 70 years old and do not drive much. Do you know, or do your readers know of anyone that loves to road trip and shop that needs a companion? I would even be willing to fly to a certain destination to meet them and then we could leave from there. Sounds kinda dangerous, doesn’t it, but if I could get references of people who know them I should be ok.

11. Bambi Mayer says:

Would love some of you brushes and the soap!

12. Laurie says:

I would love to order a pot brush and that beautiful soap if it was in your shop.

13. Vicki King says:

I would definitely order the soap if all the ingredients were posted with it so I could read them, and if it weren’t too expensive — I have very fine, finicky, sensitive skin. I can find NO soap or detergent bar that doesn’t rash me out. This might work!

Thank you so much for asking. vk

14. Junitta says:

Yes, Soaps And brushes!

15. Natalie in Ohio says:

I too vote YES to selling those fabulous brushes and soap in your online Shop!

I’ve been waiting for more of your 12-ply red and white baker’s twine to be sold in your online Shop again. If you wouldn’t mind creating a “Waiting List” for your Followers who want to buy your “sold out” items, please list me for 1spool!

I’d love to see you sell ALL of your treasures in your online Shop, so everyone has the opportunity to purchase them! Your ironstone, furniture, and all of your decor items ~ fans, typewriters, linens and quilts, baskets, containers, wooden spoons, scales, doll furniture, vintage books, dishes, lamps, artwork (the sampler you showed us the other day was lovely, and would have sold in a heartbeat online), etc., etc.!

All of your new finds are fabulous, but that wardrobe… WOW, it’s stunning! Love, love, love it!

You have the best luck finding the greatest home decor pieces Marian! Maybe you should play the lottery! :)

16. Paula says:

I think the scallop wardrobe would be better painted…the scallops will stand out better…and it would be so sweet in a white…..

17. Sally Christiansen says:

I would be interested in one of those pot brushes. What fun projects you have going.

18. Sharon says:

Count me in on the brushes and soap. I hope you will be adding some hemp sheets to your online shop?

19. Wendy Fitzwater says:

I’d love to purchase the flax twine! Thanks!

20. Michelle says:

Yes, please make the soap, brushes and twine available to purchase on line. I have been in search of a good dish brush and I can never find the soap anywhere. I would buy one of each if offered. Thank for the offer!

21. Love the cupboard with the scallops! I’m a sucker for scallops:)

22. Yes please!!! Would love to buy the soaps, brushes etc ?I live to far away to see you at Lucketts.?

23. Machee Whitesides says:

I would be very interested in soap and brushes in you online shop! Can’t wSit!

24. Harriett says:

Yes, yes, yes. I am interested in all the items that may be on the online shop….please, please, please!

25. Great soap. Those industrial carts might make a cool potting bench. Great furniture finds too. I vote to paint the wardrobe with a different color on the inside. The scallops are so cute. Thanks for the inspiration!

26. I have an obsession with those soaps. My problem is that I hate to use them they are so pretty!! Can’t wait to see what becomes of the cart, I have some similar pieces so will stand by!

27. Julie Ferrer says:

Yes please order more soaps and brushes for online custumers! Thanks!

28. Julie Kisling says:

I definitely would be interested in some brushes! Thanks.

29. Katie Thomas says:

Oooo…..I could so use a pot brush to brush off the old stuck on dirt from the year before. So YES please put some of your small items on your online ship :-)

30. Those pieces are all wonderful!! I can’t wait to see what you do with the industrial carts, cleaning carts would be awesome!!

Lauren | Lovely Decor
    xx

31. Shannon says:

I’m still chomping at the bit to see the bench you build from the bed frame. Hopefully soon!?!?!

32. Shannon says:

This Shannon is dying to see headboard turned bench too! How goes progress on this project???