the hand painted landscape dresser

FacebookTwitterGoogle+Share

The theme for the space at Lucketts this year is Farmhouse White, yes, but that doesn’t mean that everything will be white.  A lot of things will be white, as you may have noticed, but we don’t want to neglect the “farmhouse” side of that theme.  After some creative brainstorm sessions, we decided one way to bring that in was the use of landscapes.

And, of course, I immediately imagined a landscape on the front of a dresser.

mms-996

Here is how the dresser started…

mms-1433

And how it looks now with it’s sweet, folk-art landscape painting…

mms-995

Now, I can’t take full credit for this one.  It really was a collaborative effort between Kriste and I.  We had a highly technical conversation about “blobby little trees” and “blobby sheep” and “brush stroke-ish grass”.   I painted the base colors, did the distressing and finishing, and chimed in now and then with some thoughts for the composition.  Kriste painted the real heart of the landscape, though, and I just love how it all turned out.

mms-5362

Oh, and all of the painting was done in milk paint, which was a bit of an experiment, since Kriste was used to working with watercolors and I was used to acrylics from my mural-painting days.  So, we played and fiddled and watched what happened.

mms-997

The way the paint chipped and flaked is just perfection.

mms-5361

I finished the paint with Furniture Wax followed by Antiquing Wax to bring out the crackling and texture.

mms-5358

mms-5365

Kriste made the clouds by dabbing the dry milk paint powder over wet paint.  The texture of this piece is really special.

mms-5366

mms-5371

mms-5369

The landscape wraps loosely around the sides of the dresser to finish off the look.

mms-5378

This was a fun one to style and photograph.  I was pretty giddy the entire time.

mms-5372

mms-5377

I picked up this little child’s chair a couple of weeks ago and the warmth of the wood and details of the turned legs and spindles captured my affection.

mms-5382

It’s all going to the Lucketts booth, though.  Affection or not.  I find myself in a selling mood and if I kept everything I had affection for, I would need eight storage units.

Anyway, here’s the side-by-side recap of the makeover…

landscape dresser Collage

It’s sometimes fun to step “out of the box” so to speak and I feel like we did with this dresser.

More to come…

Comments

1. Kathy says:

wow i love that dresser, i have one i was thinking of painting like that, what inspiration to look at.
    have a couple of little chairs like that to. love, love, love it all.

2. karen says:

OMG!!!

3. peggy says:

Very charming. The soft colors will go so well with a variety of pieces.

4. Bravo on the “Blobby Dresser”! Such a unique piece.

5. WendyJ says:

You deserve to be giddy!!!

6. lynne says:

i just wanted you to know that i have been a recent convert to your blog… to your fabulous style and great taste…. and that is a whole ‘nother comment section to come later! but i do want you to know that dealing with the decor steals people through your blog has been an absolute delight for me…. their prompt replies and efforts to answer my questions are a breath of fresh air in this day and age when product emails may often go unanswered…. thank you not only for the high standards that you adhere to, but also for the products advertised by your blog…. i really appreciate everyone’s efforts!!!!

7. Jenny Riley says:

I absolutely LOVE that you did the landscape in milk paint. It looks amazing!!!!

8. Patti says:

Love this piece! Beautiful job –

9. Laurie says:

Awesomeness!

10. logan wilhelm says:

This collaboration between you and Kriste is fabulous….LOVE it!

11. Barbara Ann says:

As my kids would say. “Sweet!”

12. Vicki King says:

Adore the greens and white: my new fave, and my kitchen if I ever get a round tuit. Feng Shui says red above the stove, fire for the hearth, but I need to feel relaxed, so not that much red in the kitchen. Green bottoms and white tops. My kitchen curtain is 3 Crate & Barrel identical (green, red, all colors really, on white) dish towels on white clip rings and tension rod. Compliments. Have a red on white ceramic plate hanging on the wall, and a red glass heart on the windowsill by the green ivy. One ivy in red opaque vase, one in green glass. (Both in water, cannot abide soil gnats). I think I’m covered.

CRAVE the wonderful ironstone pitcher!!

13. Sherie Bruns says:

Love this! What a great idea!
    it would be perfect in my foyer…

14. Alicia says:

This is where your background really comes to the foreground (intentional play on words…LOL). This is one of your strongsuits (and Kristie’s). This piece is going to fly out the door! And I love the blob trees and especially the blob sheep!!!!

15. Jackie says:

All I can say is WOW! absolutely beautiful. Love it!

16. Bravo Ladies!! Love the texture in this peice!

17. Cheryl says:

I simply lost my breath on seeing this one😊 Kudos!!! To you both.🌹🌹

18. Cheryl says:

I just finished my second MMS milk paint piece, a sweet rush seat chair for my sewing room. In ironstone /clear wax then antiquing wax😊. It didn’t disappoint me, it’s chippy in all the right places😀. Onto my next piece, a search for the perfect blue. I found it in the Old Village line (soldier blue) of latex though I would love to finish it in milk paint. It is a super deep dark teal blue. I’m just not sure which colors to mix to get it the same. Flow Blue and boxwood green and perhaps typewriter?? Decisions decisions😜

19. Could you share the milk paint color or mixture of colors and method that you painted the base of the painted dresser. The close-up of the leg seems to show more than one color and perhaps dry brushing of another????
    It’s so lovely !!!!

20. Hi Marian and Kristie,

Would you be willing to share a step by step tutorial for this project with materials required and colors? I’d love to repeat this on two smaller dressers we have in our bedroom, but I would just need a little more guidance. It has a lovely sleepy bedroom feel to it. Thank you always for your great ideas. :)

21. LaurieY says:

Fairytale Farm. Dreamy colors. Love the clouds . . and the “chips” in the clouds look like a flock of birds. This tutorial could be an MP4 Download in your online shop.

Absolutely darling. Good job, you guys!

Mother of Pearl, is that ever going to tug hearts at Lucketts.

Pitter Patter.

22. Love this. I was giddy reading :O

23. I sold sheep milk soap when I had a brickmortar shop—-and painted two cabinet/bookcases like this…and had happy little sheep dancing across the green grass. When I closed my shop a lady snagged them for over $130.00 each….but they were perfect for a child’s room—-I simply love this idea…and may have to resurrect the idea —somehwere in the new kitchen. Grins…and baaaaaa!utiful day! Sandi

24. Linda says:

Oh, you are so talented. I’ve always yearned to be artistic to absolutely no avail.

25. Jennifer says:

Once again I am crushing on one of your pieces – the dresser is amazing! I too would love a step-by-step tutorial showing how I might recreate this look. It’s hard to tell what colors were put down first or what colors were mixed to achieve the soft look. It is beautiful.

26. Martha says:

Absolutely charming! I’m especially in love with the green tones at the bottom of the piece. I’m sure it’s a mix but could you tell us what mix?

27. Sweet, sweet, sweet!!