One of the best parts of having a theme for a retail space, whether it’s a booth at a market or a small shop, is focus. Your theme keeps the items you’re collecting cohesive, so they look better together in a display. Better displays mean that customers can more easily envision items in their own homes, which will hopefully lead to better sales.
With the theme of Farmhouse White, we’re painting a lot of things in…well, Farmhouse White. But, we need to add some other whites in, so the booth doesn’t look flat. As I’ve mentioned before, the key to white is layers, texture, and using many shades of white that all play nicely with one another.
So, I’m pulling out the other whites in our line, Linen, Grain Sack and Ironstone, along with some custom-mixed whites. And that means a lot of things are going to be painted some shade of white.
I found this somewhat sad mid-century clock that’s usually not my thing, but I loved the face! He has such a sweet face, doesn’t he?
I pulled out those metal bits and painted the body of the clock in Linen. It chipped here and there and turned out great. It’s not a functioning clock (since the second hand is hanging out at the bottom of the face), but it’s a nice little decorative accent.
And I also picked up some well-used juggling clubs. They were a little yellowish and not all that old, but the price was right and I thought they would be fun to paint.
I painted them in Linen as well with a Boxwood stripe.
I distressed them with 100 grit sandpaper to bring out all of those dents and dings and take the newness off of the paint.
I then applied Furniture Wax to seal the paint (I used the lavender-scented wax, which was heavenly), followed up some Antiquing Wax to add a little patina. I could have applied Antiquing Wax directly, but it would have stained the paint. I wanted it to be subtle and the layer of Furniture Wax makes the Antiquing Wax easier to control.
And, while the Linen paint was out, I painted the inside of the doors on the cabinet I purchased a couple of weeks ago.
I love the cabinet, but the inside of the doors were driving me nuts! I knew I would probably display it in the booth with at least one door open, so it needed to be painted.
Ah, much better.
And, I’m not sure if I’m going to sell it or not, but I painted the gramophone horn I bought last year. It was a pretty yellow, but I wanted to make it neutral, so it also received a couple coats of Linen.
It chipped and flaked in all of the right ways.
Since it’s not a practical or functional piece, I just left the chipping paint alone.
So, lots of white paint. And lots more to come…