tufted sofa reveal

FacebookTwitterGoogle+Share

After much deconstructing, button-making, tuft-tying, fabric-stapling, trim-gluing, tack-hammering and cushion-sewing, the tufted sofa is finally done!!

I feel like some confetti should’ve fallen from the sky when Kriste and I put the final cushion in place.  It didn’t, but it should have.  This sofa has been the most challenging and high-maintenance piece of upholstery I have taken on to date,  but it is done and I finally get to show it off.

mms-941

There it is, all styled and pretty.

And here it is without any pillows or props…

mms-942 mms-943

Kriste and I were “oohing” as we were proofing the pictures.  It’s just such a pretty sofa!

Here is how it looked when it came into my possession.  It was given to me last year after the Lucketts Spring Market for free.  Eddie, a photographer and fellow vendor, didn’t sell it, but really wanted to get rid of it, so she gave it to me.

It’s hard to turn down a free sofa, even though I knew it would be a challenge.

mms-7732

mms-944

mms-4627

mms-4635 mms-4632 mms-4629

mms-4625 mms-4626

Sources…

mms-941

If you missed the process of this makeover, you can click through these posts below to see all of the details.

part 1 | stripping & painting the frame

part 2 | making fabric covered buttons

part 3 | troubles with tufting

part 4 | tufting success

part 5 | burlap backing

part 6 | braided jute trim & tacks

A few people have asked if I’m selling it…  After such a labor, I need to keep it for a while and love on it.  I’m sure I’ll sell it at some point.

But not today.

MMS_Divider

In other news, we’re installing the built-ins in my mom & dad’s room tomorrow!

Comments

1. Marian, the sofa is absolutely gorgeous! It’s well worth all the effort you put into it.

2. Diane says:

I love the sofa all by itself, such a pretty shot. I have to give a suggestion, the two plaid pillows seems too large for such a delicate pretty sofa. LOVE the details!

3. Susan Hostutler says:

So pretty, better without pillows!

4. Amanda says:

Thank you for sharing your process! It is stunning. Thanks for the inspiration.

5. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!!

6. Robyn says:

Wow! The sofa is stunning! What a beautiful job you did!

7. It is exquisite! All your hard work was worth it!

8. Vicki Reynolds says:

I’m drooling! Absolutely gorgeous! Thank you for sharing your process and the resources for the accessories!

9. Jeri Lacy says:

Wow! Turned out gorgeous. Job well done!

10. Stunning!!!

11. Darla says:

You did a wonderful job. It turned out beautiful.

12. Beautiful love it I have to agree
    with others , love it naked !

13. Debbie Delosreyes says:

What a great job!! It is soooo beautiful. My parents caught me staring at their similar living room couch and imagining what you could do with it!

14. Margie Pousardien says:

Marion,
    Beautiful job!!! Your patience paid off! I enjoy your inspiration!😊

15. Tricia says:

beautiful! i wouldn’t even cover it with pillows!

16. Your craftsmanship continues to amaze me!! It is so lovely! Great job girls!

17. Beautiful work Marian!! I can understand you wanting to keep it but if you change your mind, please get a hold of me. :0)

18. A STUNNER! Might be my fav of all your projects! If it were mine, I’d never sell it.

19. Stacey says:

It’s Beautiful! Now sit back and enjoy!!!

20. Christine S says:

This is gorgeous! Love it!

21. Janine R says:

Turned out beautiful but the pillows have to go!

22. Dianne says:

Amazing! Looks stunning . . .

23. I’m not sure why so many people are against the pillows, I really love the whole look. While the couch alone turned out so beautiful, the pillow add a casual warmth to the entire look. You are so talented Marian! Thanks for taking us with you on this journey. Job well done!

24. Beautiful! Such a labor of love, I’m glad you stuck with it! I once stripped a tufted chair and gave up midway through. I could not have possibly had the right tools, I worked on it for days before finally sending it to the upholsterer.

Thank you so much for sharing your process!

25. patricia says:

well done Marion, it’s beautiful, I think if I sat on this I would never get up one I had a book in my hand :)

26. Love the sofa but I can’t stop staring at the picture of the bouquet on the blue and white dish. That is so, so beautiful.

27. Marlene Stephenson says:

What a beauty and no one can blame you for keeping it.

28. I love the work you did on this piece. It truly is a treasure. I’m so glad you’re not selling it. I have to say though that I’m really not loving the checked pillows. The scale is off, I know it’s good to play with scale to add interest but in this case it only detracts from the sofa in my opinion.

29. Shy Cee says:

Just Lovely! I tried sewing on some burlap and it kept getting caught in my machine… Was this grade of burlap something that could go through a sewing machine? I love your Hemp Oil, how will you recoat at it on this lovely sofa when it needs it? I learn so much from your questions and answers…. Thks!

• marian says:

It may have more to do with your sewing machine than the burlap. If it’s meant for light-duty, the burlap might just been too much for it. It does also shed and fray a lot, so that could be the source of the problem.

I actually didn’t use hemp oil on the frame. I left the milk paint “raw”. If I did use hemp oil, it really wouldn’t need a re-coat, since a sofa frame isn’t a “high traffic” surface. A table-top might need it once a year or so.

30. I love, love, love everything you did with that sofa!! Stunning!!

31. Incredibly beautiful! I admire you for sticking to the job. I was following your progress and I was so impressed. The room looks amazing also. Jane Flora Doora

32. Tracy says:

Really really beautiful ! Sooooo Frenchy Farmhouse !
    The perfect combo !
    You and Kristie have done amazing work as always !!!

33. Tufting is not for the faint of heart, so glad you stuck with it and the outcome it amazing! I wouldn’t want to sell this ever!

34. I’m in LOVE!

Your patience has certainly paid off.

35. Simply wonderful!

36. Wow! I am speechless! It looks like a completely different sofa – and the fact that you did it yourself is just unbelievable. It is so gorgeous now!!

Sheila

37. The sofa turned out beautifully. And I love those cane chairs – I wish I lived closer so I could actually buy them!

38. It’s beautiful. Worth the hard work!

39. Krista says:

Just gorgeous!

40. I think it’s gorgeous, Marian!!! I actually love all of your makeovers and I’m thinking of ordering soon MMS milk paint to attempt a makeover of my own. Wish me luck :).
    Thank you so much for the amazing inspiration you post!

Eva | Design Cafe

xx

41. Oh my goodness. I am in love, it is beautiful Marianne. So much detail and care & sweat 😉 went into this, and it shows. I can see why you don’t want to part with it yet, I don’t think I ever would!!

Great work :)

Lauren | Lovely Decor
    xx

42. Amy Morgan says:

If/when you sell the sofa, I would love to buy it! Beautiful!!

43. Love this transformation, and have been looking for a similar sofa for the right price ever since you started sharing your progress. I finally found one and am going to give this look a try on it! Can you share how many sheets you needed to use (size of sheet) and would 3 yards of the burlap be enough?
    Thank you!

44. I have a sofa that is nearly identical to this that I am getting ready to transform. Could you give me an estimate on how much yardage of the two fabrics you used / bought?