Remember my struggles with the tufted sofa? I’m not usually paranoid about inanimate objects, but I felt like I needed to keep an eye on that one. It silently threatened to “do me in” with its seemingly bulletproof batting and ridiculous amount of tufts.
I finally learned how to speak a language this sofa would understand…
Let’s just say that the sofa got the point. It understood the awl perfectly. (Jeff thinks I should’ve said it understood “awl-fully well”, but I just couldn’t go that far.)
The wooden handle of the awl and the sharper, thicker needle allowed me to push through all of the layers and make a way for the thinner upholstery needle. (For those who asked about the needle, I was using a needle made for tufting, so it was relatively thick, sharp and six inches long, but it wasn’t enough to get through this sofa.)
So, I would poke the awl through and rotate it to create a clear hole. I could actually see daylight through the created hole (most of the time) and I was able to get the needle straight through.
I ended up being able to do 25 tufts in one afternoon and then finished the remaining 15 yesterday. I still got blisters on my pinkies from tying all of the knots on the back of the sofa, but the experience was greatly improve by the awl and I haven’t resolved to never tuft again.
Each tuft is secured at the back of a sofa with a double-knot tied around a piece of batting, which holds the knot securely in place.
And the sofa is really coming along! I still need to staple the “shirt tails” of the back of the sofa, but I plan on doing that tomorrow, along with the back and trim.
Since I was using an antique hemp mattress cover, there were seams and I just went with it. If you’re doing this “the proper way”, you hide the seams in the diamond pattern of the tufting, but you know me… I like to just go with it.
Some people are going to hate the seams, but I think they are charming and an homage to what this fabric used to be.
This is the original stitching that held the mattress closed after it was stuff. I backed it with a smaller piece of hemp fabric, so the yellow foam wouldn’t be visible through the gap.
And then it’s on to the cushions.
I can hardly wait.