it may look like a ticking stool slipcover…

FacebookTwitterGoogle+Share

Remember the stool slipcover I made a few weeks ago out of antique blue & white ticking?

mms-4225

Well, this little slipcover that I made in an afternoon has now become a big deal in the history of my business.  It is the first home decor product I designed and made that is being reproduced to sell.

I just felt a little jump in my heart.

I’ve been wanting this for a long time, because I learned a few years ago that I can’t make/find/create/paint enough stuff to sell.  One-of-a-kind finds and furniture have a limit.  I know I could sell dozens, hundreds, maybe even thousands of a certain thing, but I only have one.  And that’s always been a bit of what adds to the excitement of when I list online or sell at a market, but it’s also a bummer for people who want to buy something and it’s snapped up even before they get the chance.

What if my designs, creations and favorite finds could be reproduced?

Well, this little stool cover is going to be the first chance to find out the answer to that question.

I worked with Decor Steals to make stool slipcovers in three different colors of ticking AND it’s their steal-of-the-day today!  It involved pictures, samples and conversations like, “No, the drop of the sides needs to be a little shorter and the skirt needs to be fuller and doubled-over.”

Until we found the perfect reproduction.

mms-5068

(It’s actually sewn straight, though!  Mine was a little wonky.)

mms-5076

For the colors, I selected a blue, of course…

mms-5064

…a pale black…

mms-5049 mms-5050 mms-5052

…and a red…

mms-5091

A funny little behind-the-scenes thing about this shoot…  That is actually MMS Milk Paint in Linen on the table being used as “flour”.  I was so tickled with my resourcefulness.

mms-5094 mms-5097

We fit the slipcovers on a variety of stools around the studio and I was pleased with how nice it looked on a variety of stool styles.  The slipcover size we settled on was 13″, which is the size of a standard wooden stool.  It will fit on one that is about an inch or less larger and one that is a little smaller.

(The stool seat above is an inch larger than the slipcover, so it sort of hugs the top.  The stool wearing the blue ticking cover is a little smaller and the pale black one is fitted perfectly.  It can fit on cushioned and non-cushioned stools.)

All three colors can be purchased today at Decor Steals.

mms-5116

It may look like a simple ticking stool slipcover, but to me, it’s a dream come true.

Comments

1. Marlene Stephenson says:

Very exciting and congratulation.

2. Love it! I ordered the brown stripe for one of my antique white wood stools! They are wonderful and I am so happy to own one! Congratulations! Jane Flora Doora

3. Margaret Mills says:

I grabbed up a red and blue stool cover even before I knew they were yours because of your website, so I was delighted when I started to read about the covers and they were by MMS. The “steals” website had available red, blue, and chocolate brown striping, but in your blog, you described it as pale black. Which is it? It may make a difference in whether people purchase it or not. I love to follow you daily and feel like I know you. I’m trying to talk myself into trying milk paint because I’m not the most creative person on the planet. Thanks again.

4. Congrats, sew exciting!

5. Congrats Marian! I can only imagine what’s going on behind the scenes now, because I KNOW you have plans for more reproductions!!

6. Great news. Sounds like a good move toward your future. Wish you much success.

7. Congrats – it looks ‘sew’ cute & it is very exciting to see the colours ….

8. Love it are they made in the USA?

9. Robin Leach says:

Oh! What a wonderful thing for your business! now, if we could just get Home Goods, to carry the MMS line! Slipcovers, rugs, bedding, accessories, come on Marian, you can do it! I want it all!

10. Lisa Carter says:

How wonderful for you! Congrats! I never cease to be inspired by your posts and this is yet another. What happy news! <3 <3 <3

11. Oh hate that I missed this sale!! I was out of town and unable to read your post. Hopefully you will have them again soon. That is just the cutest little stool cover! So happy for you!!

12. Congratulations! I purchased one for our master bath that we just finished renovating. I have a milking stool like the one you have pictured…hope it will look cute next to the clawfoot tub.

13. Congrats how exciting! I love that you also did a black so pretty!

14. Naomi S. says:

Way to go, girl! I hope you make a ton of money and that this is only the beginning!

15. You are so awesome! Now we will all be on the lookout for a stool to cover!

16. Bravo, Marian!

17. How exciting!! They are an adorable addition to any stool and I love all three colors!!

18. Oh that’s amazing!! Congratulations and I love them, I wish I had stools!!

Lauren | Lovely Decor
    xx

19. My cover came today! It is fabulous! I am posting it on my Flora Doora blog! Wish I had ordered more though. Just wonderful! Jane

20. Susan Spencer says:

Congratulations!!! I was so disappointed that I didn’t read my email in time to catch the sale. Are we able to order these through any other site by chance? I would love to get them for my antique ice cream parlor stools.

I always look forward to my Mustard Seed emails!!

21. Corinne Avery says:

Hi Marian…I LOVE your ticking stripe stool covers and bought a set of three from Decor Steals when they offered them. Funny thing is they were delivered today…and only two came (I ordered and paid for three) …I tried to get ahold of Decor Steals to make sure they were still intending to send me the third one. sadly, they didn’the include an invoice sheet with the delivery. :-( If they don’t come through for me…what should I do? Mine were blue…could they already have been out of stock and have a backorder? If all else fails, could I possibly order one directly from you?
    Dissapointed in Decor Steals. ..Corinne Avery

22. Debra says:

Am I the only one who FINALLY received her stool cover today? It’s adorable.

23. Chelsea says:

Are these still available to purchase??

24. mercedes says:

Hello Marian, I was wondering if this is still available? I went on Decor Steals website and couldn’t find them… bummer. Did I miss the boat on them, will there be others offered at some point? I just purchased th cutest old stool, specifically for your ticking cover :-)

25. Teresa says:

I hope these come back, I missed out!!!

26. Melissa Taylor says:

Do you know when these will be back for sale on Decor Steals? I missed them and am dying to purchase!