The body of the tufted sofa is finally finished! This has definitely been the most challenging upholstery project I’ve taken on, but it’s shaping up nicely and now it’s all smooth sailing with the cushions. (I feel like I need to knock on some wood or something now!)
Here’s a peek at how the body turned out…
Did you notice anything?
Well, if you’re very observant, you may have noticed that there are two different trims. Hopefully, you didn’t and my plan worked!
You see, I had this beautiful jute trim…
..but I only had two spools of it and I couldn’t find more that was exactly like it. I really wanted to use it, but I was about six feet short of having enough for the entire sofa. I decided to use the trim, anyway, and figure out how to make up that extra six feet. That stretch would be a long the back, so it wouldn’t be very noticeable.
I had some jute ribbon and I thought that might work. I cut three strands and braided them together to make braided trim.
And, I must say, it’s a pretty darn good match! The original trim runs vertical, along the arm, and the makeshift trim runs along the bottom.
I hot glued the trim in place and then hammered in about a billion upholstery tacks, every inch or so.
It wasn’t actually a billon, but four boxes, and it really didn’t take that long. I just needed to get in a rhythm. It would’ve been easier with a magnetic tack hammer, but I just used the little antique hammer that I had already and it did the job.
The tacks definitely added to the time invested in this sofa, but I think they add a special something that was worth it.
The cushions will get some attention tomorrow.
You can see the tufted sofa reveal HERE.
I spent some time in the studio today playing “life-size dollhouse.” Basically, I’m setting up imaginary rooms to showcase things we purchase and redo. We had everything sort of stacked and scattered and I work better when I can get a visual idea of how everything is working together. And, things sell better when they are displayed in a context.
And it’s just fun and an excuse to pick up some fresh flowers…