ticking slipcover for an industrial stool

FacebookTwitterGoogle+Share

I had a full, productive day in the studio on Thursday and it was glorious.  I worked on the tufted sofa and I made a slipcover out of some antique ticking for the white industrial stool I bought at the Raleigh Flea Market over Thanksgiving.

mms-4225

I love how sweet and simple the skirt turned out.  Yeah, it’s a little crooked, but that’s okay.  I don’t do perfect well at all!

Here’s how the stool looked before.  The black pleather seat cover lent the stool a decidedly more clinical feel than I was going for.

mms-2807

I started out by cutting a band of fabric off the scrap of antique mattress ticking I had in my stash.  I used the portion of it that had a hand stitched initial and year (1913).

mms-4185

I wrapped the piece around the stool, inside-out and pinned the ends together where they meet, right sides together, raw edges facing the same way.

mms-4188

I cut a piece for the top and placed it on the stool with the right side facing down and pinned it to the “band”.

mms-4190

I cut off the excess and stitched where I placed the pins.

mms-4193

mms-4194

When I’m making slipcovers, I always turn them right-side-out after sewing each section to make sure it fits nicely.

mms-4197

I cut a strip of fabric about 6″ wide and double the length of the circumference of the stool.  I folded it in half lengthwise and pressed it to hold the fold.  I then pleated the skirt as I sewed it to the stool cover.  I usually add piping, which keeps me sewing in a straight line, but I wanted this one to be a bit more casual, so I didn’t use piping.

And I didn’t sew in a straight line.

I ended up going a little wonky, but I think it looks sweet and quirky and very much “Marian-made”.

mms-4229

I love the initial and random stitched stars and designs.  It’s amazing to think that the fabric is 103 years old.  Pretty cool.

mms-4227

mms-4239

mms-4242

mms-4231

mms-4243

This is the first piece that’s going on the “Lucketts Pile” for the spring market.

mms-4225

If you’re interested in attending the event, it’s in Leesburg, Virginia, May 20-22, 2016.  You can see the details HERE.

MMS_Divider

The winner of the Kohl’s giveaway is Niki Johnson!  Congrats!

Comments

1. Argelia Brown says:

Flirty and Sweet!!!

2. So charming and I am in love with the idea that the fabric is so old with the year sewn in.

3. It’s perfectly imperfect Marian! Just love it.

4. Nancy says:

It’s absolutely darling, Marian. Perfection is highly overrated!

5. Love the little stool and the ticking is the perfect addition – also love the “wonkiness” as it adds to the charm. Nicely done!
    JoanMarie

6. Very sweet!!

7. Very sweet:). I love industrial, but this warms it up.

8. Marian L says:

Every time you post slipcover photos I learn something new and get a little more confident that “I can do that!” Thank you! It is absolutely charming!

On another note, I received my March issue of Country Living Magazine yesterday and was SO excited to see the wonderful spread on you and your home! And what a delight to see the great picture of you and all your boys! This is one issue that won’t be passed on to my sister-in-law, she is just going to have to get her own :)

And just one more note, I received my order of MMS Farmhouse White and it is truly my favorite color now! I’ve barely put my paint brush down!

9. It really is the little things isn’t it!!! It’s as sweet as a summer’s morning!

10. Dianne says:

So cute. Love it!

11. Alicia says:

I love the antique ticking fabric & it goes perfectly with your stool! And thank you for the mini tutorial-I’ve been wanting to do mine but kept making it way more complicated in my head by overthinking it.
    Alicia
    Ps thank you for pointing out the little “Marian signature”! That just made my day😉

12. Hi Marian! You make everything look so easy!
    The little stool looks so cute….love the new life now with the pretty striped ticking fabric seat cover… I keep eyeing your store hemp sheets, ( textile addiction here)..wondering if I dare upholster …still kinda scared!!!! lol
    have a chair in my barn that was in my parents living room when I was born… !!!!!….it would look good I think…..it’s SOOOOO DUSTYYYY…..

13. Susan says:

Precious, I love that stool. Wish I lived close enough to go buy it.

14. Deborah says:

Hi! I love that darling skirt. Could see that cute stool being used at a vanity, student’s desk or piano.
    Would also like to compliment you (and your family) on a beautiful spread in the March COUNTRY LIVING magazine! My issue arrived yesterday and as soon as I looked at the table of contents page I had the thought “I recognize that room.” And, beginning on page 76, there y’all were! So very proud for you and your family. Congratulations!

15. Cheryl says:

Awe😊 So sweet! You rock a many gals lives with inspiration🌹!

16. Adorable!!

17. Marlene Stephenson says:

I love this stool and the easiness of covering it, or at least you make it look easy. I will let you know, lol!

18. Carol says:

Thank you Marian, for the slipcover explanation. I am just learning to sew and you explain things so well and the pictures are great. I am a huge fan of yours and your diy life…..so inspiring!

19. Naomi S. says:

I love ticking. I have a stool something like yours that was my grandfather’s. The top is wood and is split. Maybe I’ll glue it back together and make a ticking cover. Something about that little ruffle does give it a sweet air. I’m gonna go look at my stool right now!

OH! I almost forgot! My Country Home magazine came today and I loved the article about your house. The picture of you and Jeff and the boys was fun to see, too. Congratulations on the spread!

20. Naomi S. says:

Correction: Country Living, not Country Home! And how many years have I subscribed to that magazine?? Geez.

21. That little stool is so cute and would love being in my home! My mom was partial to pillow ticking so I grew up with a lot of it, but usually in predictable ways. I have a nice wooden piano stool that I think cries out for MMS paint and maybe a little slipcover over the seat, too.

22. Cute. Really really cute.

23. Gail D. says:

Marian, it doesn’t look like you cleaned the dirt off the stool before you started covering the top–that doesn’t sound like you, but if I did that, I’d end up with a dirty cover!

24. Carlotta says:

Oh my word!!!!! You kill me the way you just get in there and get stuff done! I’m with you on the perfection part. I think the stool skirt is too cute! Glad your Thursday was a productive day and you got more done on that sofa. I always look forward to opening your emails-they are so interesting, informative and fun. Thanks for showing your projects.

25. Terri says:

Oh the lovely things you make with your hands! Love the tutorial!

26. Treva Mills says:

The little stool, now with a cute little skirt on is showing her stuff!
    Thank you for giving all the information on Locketts. That sounds like so much fun. I am sure your great items will be a big hit!

27. love this

28. Perfect, perfect, perfect…I love it! Thanks for the instructions. I am going to give it a try for my antique stools. Jane Flora Doora

29. But is it perfect! Perfectly imperfect as all handmade items are. :) Wondering if your new tools helped with the tufting.

30. Yvonne Ester says:

Thank you for the inspiration!!!!

31. beach house living says:

Love it!

32. Krys W says:

Marian~ Thank you for all the time that you take in blogging these tutorials to us. They have been an awesome help.

33. I love it. The bit of embroidery gives it such charm, and it looks like a fun and simple project. I have plans to crack open some Farmhouse White tonight, and after all I’ve seen and heard, I know I will love it!

34. Alicia says:

I LOVE ticking! The stool has such charm with the slip cover! Something about ticking. I used black and white ticking from Jo Anne’s to make slipcovers for my sofa and love seat (I’ve sent you pictures in the past). They give a whole new look to the 1960’s sturdy, wing-backed and rolled arms furniture I inherited from my parents. I’ve even been tempted to use ticking for my head board. It’s your tutorials that have inspired to me on my slip cover projects. Keep them rolling!

35. So sweet! I love the charm that the initial and year adds to it.

36. Audrey says:

The ‘not in a straight line’ kind of bugs me. I must be the only one! Very cute but I’d have had to do some measuring if I were making it! But that’s what makes the world go ’round…

37. Annie C says:

Your little slipcover is adorable but what isn’t when it is made out of ticking? Just to let you know that when you fold anything making the edges touch, you are folding it in HALF. I find that I also do the same thing when I writing, put in words that are similar but not the same. Like I’ll put “to” for “the” b/c I’m writing while I’m thinking and I will find all sorts of mistakes when I go back and re-read. And just to let you know, I don’t always find those mistakes b/c I am reading with my writing mind. You have a great blog. I enjoy it immensely and if the “have” is a little bit of wonky Marian, so be it. You do a consistently great job of relating your world to us. :-)

38. Looks great Marianne, the wonkiness gives it character and charm :)

Lauren | Lovely Decor