Vintage Whites Market Recap

FacebookTwitterGoogle+Share

When much of a business is done online and from home, it’s easy to be a hermit.  I’m a bit of a homebody and, while I’m an outgoing person, I just like staying home.  I like being in my studio, creating.

But, there are some opportunities that are worth the “disruption”.  When I was invited to The Vintage Whites Market by the co-founders Jana and Vanessa, I knew immediately that I wanted to go.  I was easily able to persuade Jeff, because it was in Colorado (and he loves Colorado.)

So, we headed out last Thursday for Denver.

Though the weather was cold and snowy (making it so we didn’t see mountains until we left on Sunday), the event and everything about it did not disappoint.

mms-3870-2

Ruffles and twinkle lights for days…

mms-3904

mms-3880

The venue was packed with creative people and pretty things.

mms-3881

mms-3885

mms-3891

mms-3892

mms-3896

mms-3897

mms-3899

mms-3905

And I saw some familiar faces…

mms-3876

…and a lot of new ones.  Lots of hugs and laughs and even some tears were shared.

And, I had the privilege of meeting and working with my new MMS Milk Paint retailer in Denver, Alicia of North River Workshop Co.

mms-3869

When I was invited to come to the event and talked things over with Jana & Vanessa, it just made sense to invite a local retailer to sell the paint.  It was a lot to ask, since the event was just a few weeks away and Christmas was fast approaching.  Alicia jumped right in, though, and made it happen.

mms-3868

mms-3864

They will be selling the milk paint and offering workshops in downtown Denver, if you’re in their neck of the woods!

mms-3863

Jeff and I were next door, selling books, look books and brushes.

mms-3861

I was mostly there to chat and hang out and I taught a milk paint demo…

mms-3839

I had 30 minutes to teach about milk paint and paint a table, so the time flew as I rattled on about everything on prepping, painting and finishing that I could squeeze in.

mms-3764

mms-3837

When I could steal myself away, I milled around to take pictures, meet some vendors and torture myself with all of the amazing things I would buy if only I could fit them in my suitcase.

I did bring home a few small things, though.

One of the vendors, Rachel of Farmgirl Furniture, gave me an antique box of mustard seeds.

mms-3907

She walked up to me, smiled and said, “I know this is your name, so I thought you should have it.”  So sweet, right?

Bernadette of Old House Chic, gave me this little alarm clock.  I was going to buy it, but she turned it into a gift.

mms-3910

It’s a mini version of my favorite alarm clock and I was totally smitten with the little fix for his broken leg.

mms-3914

He’s got a little peg leg and it endeared him to me all the more.  Some clever person loved him enough to fix it.

mms-3919

And, I treated myself to a new camera strap.  I spotted this one on the way out the door Friday night and thought about it all night.  I decided to snap it up first thing Saturday morning.  It is so well made and I love the hooks, the blue & white fabric and the warmth of the leather.

mms-3926

As Jeff put it, “It’s totally a Marian camera strap.”

You can buy their one-of-a-kind camera straps on their website.

mms-3921

mms-3922

mms-3923

I was tempted by so many other things, but I kept reminding myself that this was not a buying trip and I just needed to be content with the experience and all of the non-material things I was bringing back to PA with me.

Well, I did have to buy one more thing…

That moment when you unpack your suitcase at a big event and realize you packed mis-matched boots. #unplannedshoppingtrip #vintagewhitesmarket

A photo posted by Marian aka Miss Mustard Seed (@missmustardseed) on

Comments

1. Barbara says:

Marian,
    What a fun trip! You made me chuckle with your boot situation! Thanks for sharing it with us! I always enjoy reading your blog. It’s my daily go-to! Blessings to you and your family!

2. You could have totally pulled off the mis-matched boot thing! You are a creative person and it would have been you starting a new trend;) Love all your beautiful pictures, as always!

3. angela says:

I wish I was there. I have family that lives in Loveland.

4. cecilia says:

Two left Feet?

5. Thanks for sharing!
    Now the little peg leg clock has a forever home. 😉

6. It was so great meeting you this weekend. Thanks for stopping by our booth! I hope our paths cross again in the future. You are a true inspiration. Jeff and Kathy – Wicker Hill

7. It was so fun to meet you in my hometown! I am loving the books and inspiration they give! Can’t wait to get my hemp sheets! :)

8. Vintage Whites Market looks like a dream come true. I’m totally in love with that sweet clock, peg leg and all. Your mix match boots remind me of the time when my kids had a Christmas recital at their school. I rushed home from work got them dressed, changed my clothes and realized when we got to the school that I was wearing two different shoes!!

9. Seriously Marian, the mis-matched boot would have been a testament on how devoted you are to your followers & customers…….we all can relate!! I wouldn’t have thought a thing about it:) And the bitty clock with a new leg is so cute, I wouldn’t have let him sit either:) I love those little details as well!

10. I went to the market on Saturday and was completely overwhelmed. I so wanted to linger and poke and take in all the beautiful things, but I couldn’t. People kept running into me and I couldn’t see the things in the booths because it was too crowded. I picked up a few cards and will hopefully be able to travel to see some individual stores, or visit online shops.

11. SueSchneid22 says:

LOL!! Awesome ending,Marian! Keeping it real! :)

12. Julie says:

LOL! That is awesome… 😉 Great ‘excuse’ for buying new boots.

13. I was at the market on Saturday and wanted to say “Hey!” but too many people! Did say hi to your hubby though! Was a great show!

14. michelle lafontaine says:

Mismatched boots make for a funny story. I was once giving an important lecture in Hawaii. I arrived at my hotel with an hour to spare to make myself presentable. I opened my suitcase only to discover that my cat had used it as a litter box prior to my departure. I don’t know which was worse, the smell of cat pee or the long streaky stains down the front of my silk blouse – the coordinate for the only business attire I had packed. People always ask – yes, the cat is alive and well.
    Love your blog!!!!!!!!

15. Melissa says:

That was a very clever way to get a new pair of boots. I will totally copy you on that!!

16. The boots! LOL. I’ve done that!!!!! :-)

17. Penny says:

I seriously did not notice they were mismatched boots ’til you said so!

18. Looks like you had a great time!! Looks wonderful there, wish I lived closer so I could join!

Hehe oh the boots! Well at least it was another excuse for buying something :)

Lauren Baxter | Lovely Decor
    xx

19. I recently wore two mismatched flats (one black, one zebra–I tried them on to see how they looked with my suit and forgot to switch!) to a job interview. Fortunately, I didn’t notice until I got home, or I don’t think I could have concentrated. Apparently nobody else noticed either, and I got the job. A good reminder that we are usually self conscious for nothing, and no one is paying more than cursory attention to how we look or what we wear.

20. Marian,
    The Vintage Whites Market looks like a great venue. Love looking at all the photos of places to shop for vintage finds…

Just want to say I loved meeting you at the Chapel Hill Market in Alabama in October and to thank you for writing a sweet message in your custom-autographed Inspired You book. My sister-in-law gave it to me for Christmas this year, and it is a special treasure for several reasons.

Judith

21. Nancy says:

I will have to remember that little boot trick(wink wink )

22. I live just north of Denver and would have loved to come! So sorry I missed it.

23. The clock is beyond adorable!

24. marylisa noyes says:

Looks like an amazing show!

25. Deborah D says:

I had 3 of the grands this past weekend. As we were returning home from th movie Saturday afternoon, we stopped at a cute shop that sells Owens and children’s clothes and shoes. My grands found the cutest shoes and each foot was different. Same colors but different designs. They are so cute. So see, Marian, you would have been in style.

26. I could live insides shows like that! Love the peg leg clock!adorable! Too funny with the boots! Ha!

27. Debbie Klausing says:

What I want to see is your new boots!

28. Haha! A great way to get new boots!
    I’m going to VWM in March in Salt Lake City and can’t wait!
    I’m sure they would love for you to do that show!!

29. It looked like a fantastic show!…I so love the peg leg alarm clock. Love Colorado too….my dear friend Linda lives there (was 5 minutes from the venue) and enjoyed meeting you.

30. Julianne says:

Looks like a wonderful event, just bought milk paint for the first time after Christmas and look forward to using it!! Would love to see you out in Southern CA at some point.

31. Denise says:

Perhaps you started a new trend with your mismatched boots. Priceless…I love the camera strap and visited his web page myself. Might be ordering one for a special friend who loves photography as well. You sure seem right at home in a crowd of like minded folks that you have never met before. Clearly they seemed to enjoy you taking the time to enjoy their event. Spur of the moment events with my husband are the best. I may need to up the ante by going further than a couple hours away from home thought. Totally enjoyed this post Marian.

32. Alicia says:

So close yet so far away! You were on my side of the continental divide! You were in Colorado and, like Julianne above, I’m in Southern California!!! Will you ever make it out our way??? I’d hazard the 15 or 91 Freeway to get to wherever you’re showing.

The alarm clock caught my attention and the little “peg leg” won my heart. I love clocks and this is definitely a “collectible”.

How hard did you laugh, after you groaned, at your boot situation. Had it not been that both were lefties, you could’ve pulled it off (pun intentional).

I live close to the San Bernardino Mountain range and like Denver, when it snows we can’t see them until sky clears. But it’s worth it when the sky does clear. We haven’t had hot sunny days so the snow pack is still camera-worthy!