Megan’s office makeover | Craig’s List Wardrobe Reveal

FacebookTwitterGoogle+Share

After lots and lots of painting, the Craig’s List wardrobe we found for Megan’s office makeover is finished!

And, here she is.  The beast herself…

Megan's office makeover | Craig's List wardrobe reveal | miss mustard seed

Megan came to the studio yesterday to help us with the final coat of green on the outside (a custom mix of MMS Milk Paint in Boxwood, Lucketts Green and Mustard Seed Yellow) and the interior in Linen.

mms-0106

Kriste and Megan also worked on cutting and hemming the curtains.  We’re just going to hang them on clips, so they just needed a double hem on three sides.  We’re going to hem the bottom in the room, once the curtains are hanging, so they hit the floor at the perfect height.

mms-0109

This morning, my dad came over and installed some shelves in it, so it can be functional for storage.

mms-0117

He screwed 1 x 2 supports along the back and some scrap pieces of wood on each side, measuring to make sure the shelves would be level.

mms-0110

He then rested the shelves on the supports and screwed in one more support from the bottom, in the center, to hold the shelves in place.

mms-0115

I then painted the shelves and supports in two coats of Linen, so everything blended together seamlessly.

Oh, that bead board.  I love it in the fresh coat of Linen.

Megan's office makeover | Craig's List wardrobe reveal | miss mustard seed

We decided to leave the finish unfinished and we didn’t even distress it.  It just looked perfect and fitting for the piece in its matte, raw state.

Megan's office makeover | Craig's List wardrobe reveal | miss mustard seed

We did get a little bit of cracking and chipping that, again, looks perfect for the piece.  I think sometimes we fight pieces too much, when they know exactly what they want to be.  We just need to work with them.

Megan's office makeover | Craig's List wardrobe reveal | miss mustard seed

Obviously, these are all fun accessories and some of them will be used in Megan’s space, but this will be filled with books, bins, papers, office supplies and whatever Megan needs to store.

Megan's office makeover | Craig's List wardrobe reveal | miss mustard seed Megan's office makeover | Craig's List wardrobe reveal | miss mustard seed Megan's office makeover | Craig's List wardrobe reveal | miss mustard seed Megan's office makeover | Craig's List wardrobe reveal | miss mustard seed

I just love how this piece turned out and can’t wait to see it in the space.

As a reminder, here is how it started…

mms-9860

And now…

Megan's office makeover | Craig's List wardrobe reveal | miss mustard seed

Just in case it sounds like I was eating bonbons while everyone else was painting, sewing and putting in shelves, I was working on the slipcovered chair.  We’ll talk about that in the next installment.

And I think we’ll be ready to install everything in Megan’s room next week!

If you need to catch up on this series, you can find all of the links here…

part 1 | the before

part 2 | the “franken-chair”

part 3| the plan

part 4 | wall colors & design elements

part 5 | the slipcovered desk chair reveal

part 6 | the Craig’s List wardrobe

Comments

1. Love this Marion. What a gorgeous custom colour and so beautifully styled too.

2. Oh I chuckled to myself with the bon bons comment… so something my sisters and I would say! This turned out just right- and I echo Kristine in that I love the styling. Looking forward to the big reveal, thanks for these little bits and pieces along the way.

3. The final color is perfect.

Does milk paint fade when exposed to direct sunlight?

4. LOVE this! it reminds me of the pale blue and white one you did that we had at SC… i loved that one!!!! i am so loving green lately. i have always liked it but suddenly i want it in my house so much more.

5. Haha Marian……you deserve a few bon bons and so do your helpers !

LOVE the color and the styling and excited for the final reveal. xox

6. I LOVE THIS! So simple and charming and lovely! Love the colors, and the styling, and everything! It would be the bright spot of any office!
    love and blessings~
    Lynda @ Gates of Crystal

7. There’s nothing that gets my heart pounding like a good room makeover. I love this.

8. Wow, wow, wow! Gorgeous! Everything is coming along so beautifully – can’t wait to see the final reveal. :)

9. Lauren says:

I love how its coming together, and so excited to see it all done, BUT I’m not sure I’m ready for it to be over!

10. Isabella says:

Really pretty. I love this direction your blog is taking–going outside the box to do designs outside your home. Your recipients will be happy, and it’s really fun for us readers!

11. I. Love. This.

12. This space looks amazing! I love the colour of the wardrobe. I have been following this series and I think you (Marian) and Kriste are two amazing ladies!

13. MaryJane says:

Love how this wardrobe turned out. I’m always so amazed by your work. I have a question about how your dad installed the 1 x 2 supports. I have a small wardrobe that I’ve been wanting to add shelves to, but I’m afraid that the screws will poke through on the outside. How does he known the depth of the screws that he can use? I can’t really tell how thick the side pieces of my wardrobe are. I don’t have a handyman around, so it’s up to me, I sure don’t want to wreck the piece. Thank you!

• marian says:

Sure thing! You can usually see the thickness of one side somewhere on the piece, whether it’s the top, bottom or one of the sides. Snoop around and see if you can see an edge. Most wood boards are about 3/4″ thick, but it depends on your piece. They could be thicker or thinner. We attached a 3/4″ thick board to the bead board backing, which was also about 3/4″, so we used 1 1/4″ screws, so they would provide good support without poking through.

I hope that helps a little!

14. Marlene Stephenson says:

Looks great,you guys have done an excellent job. Waiting for the rest!!! lol

15. Wow!! Beautiful I love it and it’s literally perfect for the space and a spitting image of it from your inspiration sketch. I can see how you all have fallen for it (secretly I have)

Lauren Baxter | Lovely Decor
    xx

16. drool drool drool!!! i love the custom mix. maybe a recipie book next???? so inspiring! – karen

17. Sharon Basurto says:

I love it all. Where did you get the green Buffalo Check Fabric?

18. SueSchneid22 says:

It looks perfect. :)

19. I’ve always been a little skeptical of Craigslist, but this looks like a great find. It’s true that someones junk is another person’s treasure! Looks great!

20. sharon says:

this and that CHAIR…..are perfectamundo!!!!!!! ?

21. Kathryn says:

Hilarious! I just used that “not sitting around eating bonbons” phrase last night and my kids were like…um…what are bonbons?! (And they are not kidlets either. Ha!). Anyway…nice make over on the Beast! Can’t wait to see the final reveal.

22. Nicole says:

I just love this piece and its styling! I’m still obsessed with your “Roy’s Upholstering” sign since that’s my grandfather’s name and his old career! Is it for sale?

23. a lot a storage in a beautiful piece, looks great

24. What proportions did u mix to get the green. Love and need the color.lol. Love the office, should be a wonderful for lots of work to get done.

• marian says:

I didn’t keep track, unfortunately! I was just adding some of one color, then the other until it looked right.

25. I have been watching with interest this office makeover and I can say that I love everything so far! Looking forward to seeing it all pulled together!

26. MaryLisa Noyes says:

Megan is going to have such an awesome office space! The cupboard is transformed and is over the top!

27. Looks wonderful AND functional! That green is so easy on the eyes, too.

28. LOVE that custom color!!!! Can you share formula????

• marian says:

Oh, it really was a little bit of this and a little bit of that until it looked right! I’ll have to try to replicate it. :)

29. This is so beautiful! I love using your MMS Milk Paint on my projects at home. I am new to the blogging world and hope you will take time to visit me at http://thespilledmilkmom.blogspot.com/ and let me know what you think! I will soon be featuring a console table I painted using Ironstone milk paint!

30. Diane says:

It turned out beautifully! Looking forward to seeing it in the finished room.

31. Hyedi says:

Will we be seeing a tutorial on the white slipcovered chair?