In case you missed it, Kriste and I are heading to Wisconsin tomorrow! We’re going to be in Milwaukee and Sun Prairie, on Friday and Saturday respectively, to teach workshops, demos and just hang out with blog readers, milk paint lovers and friends-we’ve-yet-to-meet. You can find all of the details of our trip HERE.
Between the long weekend and our trip, though, we’ve been trying to squeeze in some productivity. I have a big photo shoot in my house coming up, which is a good excuse to get some finishing touches done. Those are the things that linger on my to-do list and end up getting bumped when more exiting or pressing projects come around.
This week, we’ve been finishing up the upholstered chairs in my living and dining rooms and making pillows. Most of them are still in process, but we did get the living room pillows, for the bergere chairs, finished today…
They’re made in a linen with a blue, white, green and brown “faux” crewel work floral pattern and we used the checked fabric on the chairs for piping. I still need to hand-sew the bottom seam and add the double welting to the chair under the window, but this pair is almost done!
Speaking of double-welting, one reader asked me why I use gimp trim on most of my upholstered furniture. For those who don’t know, this is gimp trim.
It’s pre-made, inexpensive and I think it looks good on most pieces.
This is double-welting…
It is custom-made, so it matches or compliments the upholstery perfectly.
Both hide the staples and raw edges and frame out the fabric. Since gimp trim is already made, it only has to be glued on, making it the cheaper and faster option. Welting has to be made from scratch. It takes lots of fabric and lots of time…about 3 hours or so for one chair.
I love the look of double-welting, but it’s just not practical for every piece, especially those I sell. I would have to charge a lot more for the extra time and fabric. So, I reserve the welting for really special pieces, like the living room bergeres.
Before I sign off for the night, I wanted to share one more thing. Do you remember seeing this bench in my Lucketts pictures?
I was so in love with the cutout legs and the soft, worn paint color. The top is made of one single plank and joinery of the legs is beautifully done. I wish I had a place for it! I didn’t, so I brought it to sell. The woman who bought it needed it to be a certain size, so she asked if we would customize it for her. Jeff and I discussed some options with her. We wanted to get it to the right size without having obvious, freshly cut ends. I assured her that I would make it look good, however we decided to finish it.
After thinking through some different ideas, I decided to just cut off the excess and go from there. There was, of course, fresh wood ends that looked out of place. I mixed a custom MMS Milk Paint color using Schloss, Layla’s Mint and Lucketts Green that was a very close match, but a little lighter. I dry brushed it on the ends and allowed it to dry. I then sanded the edges and finished it with some Antiquing Wax.
I was pretty impressed with myself! I actually called Kriste over to show her how well it turned out.
And this brings me to something rather embarrassing. When the woman purchased this, we tied a tag with her name and number to the bench. I told her, “Please e-mail me if you don’t hear from me. That means I’ve lost the tag.” In true Marian-fashion, I have lost the tag. I had it in my purse, so it wouldn’t blow off in the back of the truck. I set it on my dining room table, being so careful to not misplace it. I then put it somewhere safe and promptly forgot where I put it. So, if this is your bench, please send me an e-mail! ([email protected])