As I shared yesterday, after a week of dealing with a lot of details of doing business, I was really ready to do something creative. So, I headed to the basement to work on some pieces that were waiting for me.
The first piece is a great old kitchen cabinet that belongs to Kriste, my online shop manager. She’s going to start working with me on some creative things as well, which is exciting for both of us. Anyway, her sweet husband scored this for her at a yard sale for $10. What a guy, right?
They are going to use it as a TV stand in their new place, but the blue and the decals aren’t working for Kriste. She likes white, so we’re going white with it. I removed the hardware, sanded the piece and then painted it in a base coat of MMS Milk Paint Trophy. I wasn’t concerned about chipping, so I did not add the Bonding Agent. I will be painting Ironstone over the Trophy, but I wanted to put a neutral color over the blue first.
Kriste likes some chippiness, so I left some areas unpainted, so they will show in the final coat.
We have some pretty milk glass knobs selected for this piece. We wanted the changes we made on this cabinet to stay in keeping with what it was, but make it more modern. I think we’re heading in the right direction.
Also waiting in the wings is this gorgeous Empire beauty. I found it on Craig’s List and my dad, aka The Miss Mustard Seed Moving Co., went to pick it up for me. It needs some gluing and repair, but I have a clear vision for this piece and I can’t wait to start working on it.
I also took some time to work on the phonograph I got in a furniture lot this spring. It was in rough shape and pieces like this usually look worse before they look better.
It needed a lot of stripping, sanding, gluing, clamping and cleaning. The bottom 12-18″ was obviously damaged by water, which resulted in the veneer bubbling and pulling away from the piece. It was splintered and flapping in some places, so it had to be removed. I scored it with a utility knife, removing the damaged veneer. The plan is to replace it, but we’re in foreign territory with that project…
The veneer on the doors was intact, so I was able to glue, clamp and sand that.
Once I had the finish stripped and sanded, I applied Mineral Spirits to clean the surface and reveal the warmth of the wood. Wiping wood with Mineral Spirits gives you a preview of what it will look like when an oil is applied, but it dries and doesn’t harm the wood.
When I was happy with how the piece looked wiped with Mineral Spirits, I gave it a coat of Hemp Oil.
Here’s the fretwork before…
I haven’t decided what to do with the speaker fabric, yet.
I removed the doors one at a time for gluing and sanding…
…and then put them back on and applied Hemp Oil. I’m letting the finish soak in the oil and will keep applying coats until it reaches saturation or the luster I’m happy with. The inside of the storage cabinet is still a bit of a mess and I’m still thinking about how to tackle that.
I am so in love with this piece. I’m imagining phonograph “concerts” when there are power outages or for special events.
For now, I just enjoying listening to scratchy records like “It might as well be spring” and “If I were the only boy in the world” in my basement as I work.