alarm clock jackpot & other finds

Today, our realtor had a “broker’s open house” at our home, so I had to find something to do away from home.  I’ve been having a lot of tightness and, not quite pain, but discomfort in my shoulders and neck.  My trapezius muscles to be more specific.  That’s where I hold my stress and it gets tight when I’m, well, stressed.  The weeks heading up to Lucketts were busy and stressful, culminating with my tent collapsing from torrential rain the Friday before Lucketts.  For some reason, the event this year really took it out of me and that manifested itself in a hoarse voice and tired body.

I set aside the week after Lucketts to relax…hang out in bed, watch Netflix and movies and only work when I wanted to.  You may have guessed that I’m not very good at loafing around.  I did extend my “break” into the following week, because my neck and shoulders just won’t relax!  I keep trying to have conversations with my shoulders, telling them it’s okay, Lucketts is over and there is nothing to be stressed about, but they won’t listen.

So, when I needed to be out of the house for a few hours, I knew exactly what I would do – get a massage.  The massage therapist spotted my tight traps immediately.  It really was pretty funny looking…they were bulging like I’ve been weight lifting and training only those muscles!  She worked her magic and, though it was painful at times, it really helped and I plan to go back again on Friday for a follow-up.

While I was out, I hit the grocery store as well, but before that, I went to one of my favorite antique stores.  I wasn’t shopping for anything specific, but thought it would be fun to look for things for myself or pieces to sell in the online shop (when I get it up and running again.)

As I was rounding a corner into a booth, I spotted a shelf full of alarm clocks!  Obviously, they had bought a box lot of them at an auction and they were priced really well.  I bought all but one!

Miss Mustard Seed-7315

Miss Mustard Seed-7316

Miss Mustard Seed-7322

Miss Mustard Seed-7317

Miss Mustard Seed-7318

I picked up ten in all and will be selling most of them in the online shop.

I also bought this sweet and very old blue & white handless cup…

Miss Mustard Seed-7331

Miss Mustard Seed-7334

I loved the shape of this one and don’t mind at all that it’s cracked.

Miss Mustard Seed-7335

I picked up some ironstone including this small square footed dish, seven thick dinner plates…

Miss Mustard Seed-7336

Miss Mustard Seed-7337

…and a lidless sugar jar.

Miss Mustard Seed-7342

I couldn’t resist this amazing set of 12 knives.  I swear I could feed an army with all of my flatware and dishes, but I can’t help myself!  The entire set of 12 was only $20, which is a real bargain.

Miss Mustard Seed-7338

…and the handles are beautiful.  I’m not sure if they are Bakelite or bone…probably Bakelite.

Miss Mustard Seed-7340

And lastly, I bought this sweet wooden stool for $20.  I’d like to use it for an MMS Milk Paint project.

Miss Mustard Seed-7343

Speaking of MMS Milk Paint, after dragging my feet on it for months and totally missing a self-imposed February deadline, we’re finally on the homeward stretch of creating our first look book.  I have a few more photo shoots to do, but we’re getting there.

Here’s a peek of one I did for Tricycle the other day…

Miss Mustard Seed-7301

It just hit me afresh that I get to “play magazine” and shop for antiques as a part of my business.  That’s just awesome.

Comments

1. Robin says:

Marian, we have been following similar paths the last couple of months…we put our houses on the market within the same week. My husband has been transferred to TN and we fell in love with a Cape Cod on 6 acres in Lynchburg. We had to hurry up and get our home on the market, we had a Brokers Open house three weeks later and had an offer two days later. So, I’m hoping you will have a similar outcome in the next few days! Best of Luck…can’t wait to see your new home…hope can locate the farm with barn you are looking for! On a side note…you need to check out the new novel by Mary Kay Andrews, Ladies Night Out, I swear the main character’s blog is based on yours! (The similarities end there!) Fingers crossed for you!

• Miss Mustard Seed says:

Someone else told me that about that book! Funny! I hope we get an offer in a few days. That would be amazing. We’re not in any rush, but now that we’ve decided we want to move, I’m ready to go! :)

• LindaC says:

Hi Robin! Welcome to Tennessee. We live in Murfreesboro. When you get moved in and settled and want to hit some thrift stores, antique stores, antique malls just send me an email. I would love to show you around middle TN. cummings37128@comcast.net
      Linda

• Robin says:

Thank you! That is very sweet of you and sounds fun! I probably won’t be settled ’til August…but I’d love to have a “middle Tennessee” guide! I’ll give you a shout when things settle down a bit! :)

• Kandee says:

Hey Robin, we have a farm just over in Bedford County, Tn. I have a dear friend who lives there in Lynchburg, too. We both love to search for antiques and “bargains”. Let me know when you get to town and we will go to Miss Mary Bobo’s for lunch! Linda from Murfreesboro we want you to come, too! Marion, we would love to have you, too!

• Robin says:

Kandee, Miss Mary Bobo’s is on the top of my list of things to do! That would be great…maybe in August sometime? I’ll try and coordinate with Linda…here’s my contact info rl.taylor@comcast.net

2. Great finds! Would you share which antique shops you recfommend in the Gettysburg/York area? I’m new to this area and don’t know which ones to visit first…..such a problem….lol.

• Miss Mustard Seed says:

Today I went to Black Rose, an antique mall in Hanover. I also like D&L treasures in New Oxford. That’s a great junk shop and I get a lot of fixer-upper furniture there.

• Michelle says:

Love the Black Rose and I shop there when I’m in the area but I never find deals like the ones you found today. Great finds you lucky girl.

Good luck after the brokers open house. If we were in the market for a new house I definitely would submit an offer.

Can’t wait to get a copy of the French Style Magazine. Congratulations on being featured.

• Thanks for sharing!! Im always looking for more places to find some unique finds. You find some of the best!!

3. You always find the best things. Every piece is beautiful .I LOVE your feature in French Style Magazine, congratulations! the pictures are amazing. I hope you’re feeling better real soon, muscle pain is not fun.

4. Good luck after your broker’s open house. I’m sure that there is a buyer in your area that will fall in love with your home. I also would like your recommendations for antique shops or second hand places in the Gettysburg general area. I’m looking for some kind of work bench or table that I could convert into a kitchen pennisula (like an island) with seating.. Plus, I’m looking for a dresser of dinning buffet that I could paint with your milk paint and repurpose it in my dinning room. The blue dresser that you sold at Luckett’s was perfect – sigh.

5. Tammy Gilleland says:

Marian, it sound like a fun shopping trip and great finds. Hope you feel better soon. I sent you an email with a link to read about Epsom Salt. It may help you out.

Hope to grab one of the French Style Magazine this weekend.

6. Hi Marian
    Sorry but this question is completely off the topic of this post, but if anyone can help me, you can. I just sanded the waxed finish off an oak dresser, but could still feel some wax in spots, I was afraid to use poly on it, so I used your hemp oil. After one coat, while it looks nice, the oak went that Oaky orange colour. Can I stain it (using a hardware store brand, cuz I don’t have time to order anything online)? If so, is water based okay, and can I add a couple of more coats of hemp oil after? Lots of questions I know!!

Thanks much!

7. Hello, I’m interested in the clocks when you sell…they are awesome

8. I’ll be keeping an eye out for those clocks in your shop! I have wanted one for my bathroom for ages, but haven’t had any luck! They are fabulous!

9. I am not one to purchase a magazine, but yesterday whle grocery shopping ,I passed the magazine section crossing the store to the vitamins. STOP! Is French Style here? Yes!, $10? Totally worth it! Into the cart. AAAH….

• LindaC says:

I bought the magazine today! Can’t wait to sit down with a glass of tea and enjoy it.

10. I can relate to holding all your stress in your neck and shoulders. You described it perfectly- the muscles look like you have been lifting weights. I mentally try to relax my neck and shoulders, but they just tense up again if I am working towards a deadline. I found a lavender filled terry cloth pillow that fits around my neck. I stick it in the microwave to warm it up and it always helps to relieve the tension. Having a massage would do the trick, too ! My husband can always tell when I am stressed as I sometimes I wear it all day and only take it off to warm it up again. I hope your house sells soon. Nothing is more stressful then having to always have the house ready for showings.

11. Mary Jane says:

Marian, Do you know the trick to finding out if something is Bakelite or not? I saw it on Antiques Roadshow and it works wonderfully! You boil some water and then dip the Bakelite into the hot water. If it is plastic or something else it will not have too much of a smell. But if it is Bakelite it will have a very strong smell. I can’t really describe it to you. But if you have something that you know for sure is Bakelite you can smell that first. I collect Bakelite bracelets and I have found that some of them have a different smell than others…..but it is always a very strong smell. The plastic ones that I have just smell like old plastic. Some that I thought for sure were Bakelite proved to be plastic and a couple that I thought for sure were not had that very strong smell. Good luck with the trick! I think it is just a fun fact if you are a collector!

12. vikki says:

I just finished with six months prep for my son’s wedding. It all turned out like a dream with no hitches. A total Pinterst wedding! But I can totally relate with the stress in your neck and shoulders. That is totally where I carry it as well. I am heading off for a facial and neck massage tonight after work.

13. How I wish I were with you when you went shopping, Marian! I would have snatched that wooden stool before you even laid your eyes on it.
    I have been looking for a round, wooden stool for my entry area (to pair up with a little roll-top secretary desk that is currently serving as a console table), but couldn’t find anything under $100 where I live. Being a budget decorator as I am, I am still without the round stool for the entryway. :-)

14. mary young says:

I am soooo excited about a barrister bookcase that I just bought because it originally
    belonged to a Civil War General from Vermont. He fought in the Battle of Gettysburg and It has only had two owners before me.
    A barrister bookcase stacks in sections and has glass fronts. One front is all leaded beveled glass. It is in mint condition. Saw one that was painted and it looked like
    a Marion special. Love it. Just had to share!!!!

15. Teresa says:

I don’t usually comment but when I read this I had to giggle. I could have written it. I have had the same stiff neck, hurting arm, etc. problems and got a massage yesterday too. Going again next week. She said my shoulders were like granite. We experienced a flooded house and didn’t realize I wasn’t handling the issue as well as I thought. She said the stress of it I am carrying around on my shoulders, ha. My main distress was the two pieces of 70’s furniture I had already purchased chalk paint for went to the dumpster along with many other things. I managed to save the paint. Hopefully I can find treasures like you to replace them to paint.

16. MaryLisa Noyes says:

I am happy to hear you are taking the time to spend on yourself. We all need refueling and when our body sends us the message we need to listen. I received my first supply of MMS Milk paint in “grain sack” and the clear wax on Friday. I ordered it on line as there isn’t any dealers close to my home here. I was so excited to get started and I am happy to report my project turned out wonderful. Your on line videos for You Tube made the process less intimidating and very helpful. It’s so nice to embark on something that I hadn’t used before and have it turn out the way it was advertised. I have recommended your paint to my niece and she actually used it before me with the same great outcome. Thank you for your support and sharing your step by step instruction and making my creativity a reality.

17. mary young says:

I have to say that Marion’s tutorial on slipcovers is the best thing out there. Especially like it because it is in six parts so you don’t have to wade theough all the information to get what you need. at any given moment. You don’t want to know how many times I visited that tutorial. Try it
    you will like it and I think you will be pleased with the results.

Marion hope you are on the mend and not ailing as they say here in New England. The homemade rice and lavender heating pad is wonderful. Epson salt bath is wonderful too. Take care.

18. Maryann C says:

I can relate to your tight neck and trap muscles! I relied on massages for years when this area tightened up. I finally broke down and tried acupuncture a week ago, which numerous people had recommended. Game changer! It helped beyond belief. It cost the same as a massage would have. It didn’t hurt to have the needles placed in my arm, and I lied there relaxing for 30 minutes. The pain was completely gone and has been for a week. Our house is also on the market, and during this past week, we all flew to upstate NY and back to close on our new house. So despite all the stress this week, no painful neck and shoulder blades. It did not come back, and I’ve had this off and on for decades. I highly recommend it!

19. Alexis Kelley says:

Honey (said in a deep Southern way with the 1st syllable sounding like 3 syllables)!

I know Lucketts was stressful, but there is very little that is more stressful than moving, even when you’re ready to go on to something wonderful. Don’t discount it. So glad you’re taking care of yourself with massages. The way you do do much, I would be surprised if you couldn’t take a business tax deduction for a massage every week!

I’m very excited for you and can’t wait to see the next big MMS journey!

20. Rachelle says:

Brush where do you get the small handle brushes like that?

21. Teresa says:

Marian,
    We are visiting family on the Gulf Coast and went into a great little antiques mall in Mobile, AL yesterday called Antiques @ the Loop. The first booth I saw when we went inside featured your line of MMS Milk Paint and your picture.

Hope you get an offer soon on your house. My husband commented that he bet you would be hoarse after Lucketts because every time we went by your booth you were talking to someone new.

22. You always find the coolest stuff. Out here in Austin there aren’t any really good antique stores to go to until you get closer to East Texas. However this weekend I did find a German pocket stop watch that I thought you might enjoy seeing. It has a hand for minutes, seconds, and 1/15ths of a second.

23. I agree with the others, glad you are taking the time to take care of yourself! We all need to find ways to recharge our batteries every once in a while. A week ago, when I was feeling pretty overwhelmed with caring for both my elderly parents, I took a stroll thru one of my local junk stores and found a wonderful old scale…antique brass, heavy as lead, original white enamel bowl that you placed your fruit or veggies in, and only 15.00!!! Needless to say, I snatched it up, and felt the stress slip away as I sat it on my kitchen counter.

24. Gorgeous photography, so pleased your opportunites are growing, I still don’t know how you manage to juggle everything and a family, your much a ‘superwoman’ :)

Lee

25. Cathy (Schultz) Chapman says:

Great finds! It is such a blessing to ‘shop’ for a living…..I do it, too, just with other people’s money! Now, that’s a gig, right? I carry my stress in my shoulder’s too, and while massages are great, you can’t always get one when needed. I use a product that is fabulous for many uses, one of them, neck stress! It’s called Sunbreeze ( it’s a balm) and it’s from the all natural company of Sunrider Foods. I do not do pharmaceuticals or chemicals! You just rub it on the affected area, and it does it’s healing thing. Washing hands after applying is a must so as not to get into eyes. I gave it to a lady once on a long flight because her sciatic wouldn’t let her sit still and was painful and I thought she was going to go home with me! It’s great for arthritis too. If you would like any more info, let me know. Happy Shopping!

Cathy

26. Aren’t massages wonderful?! So glad you’re feeling better but, must admit, am feeling a bit envious about your house sale. The farm is for sale and there’s been a lot of interest but no views or offers. I know God has a plan, I know “wait is a verb”, I know days of preparation are never wasted. In my head I know but my heart is ready to go; today, it’s been 2 years 7 months since Dave died. If God wants me to go forward, He needs to send a buyer, ’cause I’m packed, mostly.

• marian says:

Oh, we haven’t sold our house, yet. I feel like you do…a little envious of people who have sold their homes. We live in a rural area, though, so I need to have realistic expectations about it and be patient and content with where I am until God is ready to move us along! I hope your home sells in the perfect time as well.

27. Carolyn says:

Marian, Here’s another tip on detecting Bakelite: Rub the item hard with your thumb; then smell where you rubbed. That strong Bakelite smell will be apparent. Not as extreme as putting in boiling water, which I think would be kind of scary to do to something older.

28. Marian, you are blog royalty! Miss Mustard Seed H.R.H. I have a little three month old blog and let my neighbors know. One day at the bus stop with my kids, a car window rolled down and a lady I have seen from afar but never met, yelled out, “I love that french coffee table.” I felt famous. My first thought is Miss Mustard Seed must feel like this every time she leaves the house! haha

29. Passing along what our then 6th grade daughter learned in school one day. Women hold stress in their neck and shoulders. Men in their lower backs. Yep, she said bobbing her head up and down, “Totally you Mom & Dad. Totally.” Yep, so true! Hope it goes away soon. Go get a head, shoulder and neck massage. They are great!

30. Vintage alarm clocks make me swoon!! Lucky!! Why are you moving? I’ll have to read more post to see if I can find the secret!!

31. Overlap the start of your bandage conveniently, making sure that it stays in location after you
    remove it from your hand. The truth of the matter is that there
    is always room for negotiation. Their wearers are vivacious and
    playful, yet they don’t take themselves too seriously.