Tricycle Highboy Dresser Makeover

I don’t think there is any doubt that I am a blue & white lover through and through.  That being said, I have a soft spot for red.  Red is such a bold color that it’s hard to not give it a little attention.  And, when there is a perfect red, like MMSMP Tricycle, how can I not use it?

This piece is a pretty ho-hum dresser.  Sure, it has a little turn to the leg, but otherwise it has straight and simple lines.  In order to make it stand out, I gave it a bold paint color.

Tricycle Red Milk Paint Dresser - www.missmustardseed.com

I was also being practical.  This piece was stained in that dreaded red stain that bleeds through and causes furniture painters everywhere frustration.  So, knowing frustration was imminent if I tried to paint it a lighter color, I decided to work with it and paint it red.  It’s okay if red stain bleeds through red paint, right?

MSI_5228

Cari cleaned, sanded, prepped and painted two coats of paint on the piece and then I did the distressing and finishing.  I just lightly hit the edges with a sanding sponge and finished it with two coats of Hemp Oil.

MSI_5698

We left the paint a little shear, so you can barely see the grain of the wood, which looks really cool, and the finish is super smooth.

Tricycle Red Milk Paint Dresser - www.missmustardseed.com

The knobs are from Hobby Lobby.

Tricycle Red Milk Paint Dresser - www.missmustardseed.com

MMS Milk Paint Dresser Makeover - www.missmustardseed.com

I upholstered two chairs yesterday and am going to take a break form that to do some painting.  My mom’s coming over tonight to help me as well.  We’re making the final push to Lucketts…

Comments

1. Marsha Kern says:

I love it!!!

2. I love that color red Marian! I just found a retailer near me that sells your milk paint, I can’t wait to try it!

3. cristina says:

Loooooove it!! I want it for my boys room!!! :)

4. you seem to know just the right color, as if you are the furniture whisperer!

5. Cheryl says:

Love it!!! Did you add bonding agent to the paint?

6. Elaine Neidig says:

Very nice! I’ll be at Lucketts and can’t wait to see everything. So excited!

7. LOVE IT!!

8. maria says:

Wow! It went from plain and dowdy to a pop of pretty!! Great job!

9. This comment refers back to your son’s diagnosis of diabetes type 1. Jonathan Wright, MD, just published essential information about diabetes type 1 in the May edition of his newsletter, Nutrition and Healing. The condition can be prevented and in some cases has been reversed, and he explains how. It is unlikely that you would have heard anything about what he says.

The dresser is very pretty–I like the red. It’s a faded color, but not in any way pink. Very nice.

10. Tammy says:

I’m so excited I’m going to the Lucketts Spring Markeg as well!!! First time!! Love the red:)

11. Hmmm…I’m just about to paint a piece that is so dark and SO reddish that I am considering using a “high hide” primer on it before I paint it with Milk Paint…. can’t quite make up my mind!
    It’s not quite the right piece for Tricycle….
    decisions, decisions….
    -b.

12. Angie says:

Pretty!
    I’ve been wondering…will there be someone selling your paint at Lucketts?

13. Fiona, Lilyfield Life says:

MMS Tricycle is such a luscious colour Marian – such a great choice for your paints and perfect for over bleedthrough. I love this dresser and the shape of it.
    good luck for all your preparations
    Fiona x

14. Yup! The color definitely gave that dresser a new life.
    Funny, I just painted legs on a little footstool I have in Tricycle. The grain sack upholstery has a red stripe on it, so I thought legs should match. :-)

15. Eileen says:

I just can not get over the beautiful finish that hemp oil gave this piece. The pic with just the paint is nice, but when you added the oil…Shaazam!!

16. Susan Sullivan says:

the very first furniture makeover I did was a similar dresser with tricycle red – it was raw pine and it was so beautiful with black pulls and I used both wax and hemp oil – my daughter loves it!

17. irishMimi says:

I always love your blue & white posts. And I too love red w/ blue & white (especially when decorating for our patriotic holidays).
    However, in almost ANY scene, I love blue & white even more with GREEN!!!
    And it sure looks swell with yellow as well.
    I even think I like it with pink!
    Certainly seems if I love the hue, it WILL look great with white & blue!!

keep your lovely posts coming

18. I love it! The red is so beautiful!! I am so inspired, my bedroom dressers would look great in this red..just what I was looking for!! You are so wonderfully talented – everything you touch turns to gold!

19. Talitha says:

Thought for a moment I was looking at an Ikea Hemnes dresser… except for the legs and the fantastic knobs, it looks exactly like it!

20. I love the “red washed” look! Great way to punch up a simple piece.