Organizing the Workshop

FacebookTwitterGoogle+Share

I confess that I have a tough time keeping my work areas clean.  I know the other creative types out there understand.  I am a bit of a neat-freak, but when I’m working on a lot of things, I don’t take the time to clean up the workshop.  Scraps of wood get tossed on the floor, tools are piled up on the workbench and things are in a perpetual state of disorganization.  I just close the door.

MSI_5560

So, my mom and I worked on tidying up the place.

MSI_5607

We picked up some more hooks and tool holders from our local True Value to use on the pegboard surfaces in the workshop.

MSI_5563

MSI_5564

MSI_5681

We even hung the hammers and drills…

MSI_5682

MSI_5683

We used long hooks on the table saw out feed table to keep extension cords handy.

MSI_5679

If you’re planning on organizing a workspace yourself, here are a few tips…

• It may be a no-brainer, but group like things together.  This not only makes things easier to find, but it can prevent you from buying things you already have.  You can look at our collection of at least 15 tape measures and know that I am speaking from experience.
  • As your organizing, take time to purge.  Get rid of things that are broken, you don’t use or don’t need.  This will give you more space and make the things you do use easier to find.
  • Allow room for future growth.  We didn’t fill all of the hooks and cover every inch of pegboard, so we have room for new tools when we buy them.  If everything is packed in tight, where do you put something new?

Who knows how long our workshop will stay neat, but I always feel more relaxed, inspired and motivated in a clean and organized space.

For more tips and inspiration on quick-fix projects, stop by your local True Value for advice or visit them on Facebook and Pinterest.

I was one of the bloggers selected by True Value to work on the DIY Squad. I have been compensated for my time commitment to the program as well as my writing about my experience. I have also been compensated for the materials needed for my DIY project. However, my opinions are entirely my own and I have not been paid to publish positive comments.

Comments

1. I can completely relate! Every room in my house is organized but my work space is pretty much always a disaster. Like you, I am always working on several things at a time and I don’t take the time to put things away before starting a new project. Very frustrating, I need to purge again.

2. I have the same problem! If there are multiple projects underway, there are remnants of them all over my garage (my “shop”). We just purged and reorganized the whole space a couple weeks ago, rearranging tools and work spaces into zones and purging older tools that we have upgraded or no longer need. It’s amazing how much easier it is to think when your canvas is clean.

3. Tammy says:

I need to do this in a closet. Hubby is always misplacing his tools. I need to organize his and mine in a nice spot, a small walk in closet since we do not have a workshop or garage. I’ve been wanting to put up pegboard. Great ideas on how to hang the items! Thanks!!!

4. Teresa says:

One of the first projects my husband worked on after his retirement was designing and installing a closet system that we ordered through a on-line company. We have a huge walk-in closet in our master bedroom that wasn’t being used to its potential. We cleaned the entire closet out, painted and started with a blank slate before installing the new closet system.

Now we have a totally functional and beautiful space that is so much more organized with built-in shelving and wardrobe storage. One of the best upgrades we have ever done and the greatest thing was we saved thousands by doing it ourselves versus hiring a closet system company.

5. Patti says:

I live in an adorable 325 sq’ Cottage, and my workshop is unheated… Ao at one point when the winter just kept going on and on and I couldn’t stand not painting furniture any longer I just started bringing things inside… the co-mingling of very neat living space with very messy studio space habits has created a kind of ‘you have to laugh or you’ll cry’ situation… I am here to report you can have 30 extra frames, several seatless chairs, a small desk and lots of other things along with a painting table and all your tools IN THE MIDST of your two room living space and still move around… I thought it might teach me to be neater when being creative… but not so much… Luckily it doesn’t look like I’ve become a hoarder…. at least not yet…. but that possibility does exist… no room for peg board organizing either!!!

6. julie says:

sighhhhhh…I know you say you say you are in need of more work space, but man oh man, I look at that basement and just drool — messy or otherwise!! it’s all perspective, isn’t it?

7. Connie Corbitt says:

I want to be adopted by your mom!!!

8. Stephanie says:

I am thrilled and relieved to hear another person (better yet another woman) describe my habits almost exactly! It almost looks as though you’ve snuck into my house for the photographic evidence. This was a great find for a “organize the workshop” Google. I will remember to check back here!

9. Pretty cool the idea of organizing the tools on the wall. It is much easier to visualize and find what we’re looking for.

10. The organization and everything when it comes to the work environment. nothing better than your tools are near their hands on tour time of your daily tasks.

11. Very good!! Thank you!!

12. Congratulations, great content