open road…

Over the past week, we have been finishing up projects in our home.  This week, Jeff used the power washer on the deck, my mom and I cleaned the basement and we had a handyman come out to fix a few things that were beyond our DIY abilities.  It feels amazing to have things done!  There are other projects on our wish list and I will always rearrange furniture and change paint colors, but things that were unfinished are finished.  Things that needed to be fixed are fixed.  I’m not staring at things that need some kind of action everywhere I look.  I can wander into a room and enjoy the glorious doneness of it, which I have been doing.  Soaking in organized spaces and simple details like thresholds and quarter round.

With so much “doneness” around me, I feel so free to work on other things like the milk paint line, the online shop, furniture for Lucketts and other things that are already in the works or may be on the horizon.  It feels like an open road is stretched out in front of me.  It feels like I can stretch out my creative wings.  It feels like I can take some time to dream a bit.

MSI_5628

And dreaming is important when you have your own business.  If you just keep your head down, chewing your way through lists and deadlines, it’s easy to get burnt out.  It starts to feel like your business is running you instead of the other way around.

A few things my team and I have been working on are paint decks for the MMSMP line.  These are going to look so sharp and will be a great tool for our retailers and customers.  (These are just the matched samples, not how the paint deck will look.)

MSI_5626

Can I just say it’s always thrilling for me to see my colors all together?  Well, it is.  And speaking of colors, the president of Homestead House just went to Europe to meet with our retailers over there (I was able to join them via Skype) and kicked around the idea of putting together some colors just for them.  Apparently they like blues, grays and neutrals.  My kind of colors for sure!

We’re also almost done putting together our very first MMSMP look book!  It’s still going to take a while before it’s available, because we need to finish, edit, print and distribute it, but it’s almost there.

Screen Shot 2014-04-12 at 8.05.12 PM-2

In addition to all of that, we’ve been working on a new blog design that will pull together everything I have going on…the online shop, the Mustard Seed Pages, the milk paint line and new things to come.  Right now it all feels a little disjointed and all over the place and I want to make it easier for my readers to find everything they are looking for.

And, I hate to be cryptic, but there are a lot of other exciting things in the works…

…and it’s nice to have an open road in front of me…

Comments

1. Laurie says:

Just…wow!

2. So many wonderful things happening ! I too feel so much better when the to do list is under control and there is time for creativity and a little dreaming.

3. So excited for you and all the wonderful things happening, I feel so blessed to be a teeny tiny part of the Mss Mustard Seed’s world as a retailer – proud as a peacock actually to represent your paint in my little part of Atlantic Canada. Looking forward to all the wonderful things coming up! Thank you for being so amazing. xx Wendy @ frontporchmercantile.com

4. Tardevil says:

Sounds exciting. I need to get some ‘doneness’. Speaking of paint, I think ‘jadeite green’ would be a nice addition. :)

5. Wonderful to have so much to look forward to! All I can say is, for the love of God, print a TON of those lookbooks – because people like you, they really like you – LOL!

Sue

6. You know, I don’t know that this applies to anyone else, but my husband and I have found that just when we’ve gotten a house just the way we want it and we’ve crossed off all the “To Do” projects that we lived with for years, we’ve ended up moving to a new home. Hoping this doesn’t apply to you, unless of course you want to move. :)

And just in case, I’m leaving some projects permanently unfinished in our home now. ;)

7. Your so inspiring girl! Keep up the great work. Pressure washed my porch and thrifter for ironstone. Score!

8. good for you Marian! enjoy this open road… you’ve worked so hard for it. i enjoy reading much of your blog and look forward to whatever new things you are working on over there. thanks for always bringing us along on your adventure…. love how your business is blooming!

9. Chrissy says:

Wait… you have mooore of something coming?

10. Colette J. says:

You’re such an inspiration and I’m so happy for you!

11. tammy says:

I’m just grateful that you are sharing the road.

12. Linda Weeks says:

…what a great time of year to be getting things done, finished, begun, or anything. I envy you finding an opportunity to appreciate it all! Good luck this year! Yay!

13. chris craig says:

thank you for expressing my feelings better than I can… 7 months away from retirement, and I can’t wait for time to call my soul and my time my own..so many things to be done..just a few things to be “fixed” but to so many that will add to the serenity of our home.

14. chanel shoulder bag
    Hi would you mind stating which blog platform you’re using?
    I’m planning to start my own blog soon but I’m having a hard time selecting between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal.
    The reason I ask is because your layout seems different then most blogs and I’m looking for something
    unique. P.S Apologies for being off-topic but I had to
    ask!

15. Hello Marian,

You are really an inspiration! The few blogs that I subscribe to have given me so much inspiration to move forward with my own blog. Hold on though, I work full-time as an immigration paralegal at our local University and it can be a very intense job! So for now I am content with my Etsy shop, hunting for vintage items for my Etsy shop and of course, for me! :) Working on a lot of things in my own home, finding new ideas to incorporate in my “humble abode” from your blog and others. In a few years I will retire and I will join many other bloggers and continue to expand and create!

MJ

16. Whew! You’ve been busy! I am tired just reading this! Love hearing about the business and I agree your style is wonderful and unique. Congrats on your success.

17. Lorretta from NH says:

It all sounds so exciting. I am so happy for you. Enjoy ever little detail every little step of the way. You really have deserved it with all the hard work you put into what you do. Yay for you!!

18. It all ‘looks’ and sounds really exciting, I am in awe of how you can stay so focused and organised and look after a home and family at the same time with so much going on….I truly admire you and it is the sign of a true entrepreneur, as usually they are people that can HUGELY multi task.

I cannot wait to hear and see your future progress your look book etc, it all sounds so exciting. I hope to see some of your paint in NZ soon so I can try it out.

Lee

19. Thanks for writing in suck a personal way! IT fels like I’m listening to a friend talking! Aldo your enthusiasm is verk inspiring……..sth I really ned these days…….

20. Sue Pagels says:

I always marvel at all the wonderful things happening for you and all the beautiful things you accomplish!

21. MARY EGUIA says:

Wouldn’t a magazine with blogger’s be great?

22. Tracy says:

Have loved your other book!!!! Can we pre-order your new book?

23. eeks! excited to see what’s to come for your, your blog, and your business!

24. My husband and i felt absolutely thankful when Albert managed to round up his web research because of the ideas he acquired out of your web site. It’s not at all simplistic to just happen to be freely giving guides that many people might have been selling. And we also understand we have got you to thank for this. Those illustrations you have made, the easy site navigation, the relationships your site make it easier to foster – it’s got everything excellent, and it is leading our son and our family feel that this content is brilliant, and that is wonderfully indispensable. Thanks for the whole thing!