a balance, a baby quilt & a pair of chairs

Yes, I’m showing off more of my finds for the Lucketts Spring Market you’re going to get a lot of that over the next few weeks.  It’s approaching fast!  I still have some freelance things to wrap up, but I am almost done with those.  This weekend, I’m heading to Salt Lake City to teach a milk paint workshop at the SNAP conference.  Traveling is always tiring, but it will be a nice break from all of the work at home.  Once I get back…it’s all about Lucketts…painting furniture, more shopping, upholstering, pricing and planning.  Normally it’s a stressful time for me, but this year I’m more prepared than ever and I am really excited to delve into all of the projects head on.  Painting furniture is like therapy for me.  So, I should feel like a new woman once Lucketts is here!

Anyway, here’s one of my favorite finds from last week’s shopping trip…

MSI_5901

…this amazing balance scale!  I was smitten with it right when it caught my eye.

MSI_5902

MSI_5904

MSI_5905

MSI_5906

MSI_5907

I was also in love with this blue and white baby quilt.  The quilting is so intricate and the little animals are adorable.

MSI_5900 MSI_5899

And my dad picked up this pair of chairs from Craig’s List for me…  I liked them in the listing picture, but I loved them in person.  The carving is really beautiful.

MSI_5896

MSI_5897

MSI_5898

The upholstery wasn’t bad at all, but it’s not me and the cushions are really hard and need to be redone.  Cari was stripping off the nail head trim for me today, poor girl.  That is not an easy job at all!  I am going to leave the wood frames as is and just give them a rub with some Hemp Oil.  I’ll reupholster the chairs in blue stripped grain sack with maybe a little surprise on the back…similar to these chairs I did for my home…

missmustardseed-18 (534x800)

I know it’s going to take a lot of self-control to not hang onto that pair when they are done!

I’m off to price more ironstone…

Comments

1. Would love to see you use something besides the same striped grain sacks for those beautiful chairs. Maybe a medium scale check?

2. pamela harrison says:

Would you sell the blue and white child’s quilt before Lucketts?

3. That scale is amazing. I am surprised you have been finding such amazing things, I have not been able to really buy since January. January through March are always the worst times for auction prices, but this could be a record year.
    I can’t wait ti see the pics of your booth all set up!!

4. Hello Marian,
    That is one awesome old scale…sure it will go fast! Good find on the chairs too…I never find anything like that on our local craigslist. Enjoy all the painting next week.

Blessings,
    Linda

5. Hope to run into you at SNAP! I won a ticket and couldn’t pass on the opportunity.

6. Jeanine C says:

I have these two chairs! The wood carving is the same, and I love it too. My fabric is the same colors but a different pattern. I have been wanting to cover it for years! Pulling the nail heads is the big reason why.

The leg on one chair has a hairline crack. Any thoughts on how one might fix that? It doesn’t seem big enough to squeeze wood glue in there, but the last time someone sat it in my heart was racing as I saw the leg tweak under the pressure! We don’t let anyone sit in it anymore.

Please do share your process for giving these a new look!

Thanks!

7. would love to have those chairs. anyway to put on hold or buy early? do you have a price yet? guess i have to ass. that makes a difference. love seeing your finds.

8. Teresa says:

Marian,
    I noticed every time you post items that you intent to bring to Luckett’s several readers will show interest and ask if you would consider selling it early. I understand many live too far or are not able to attend. However, because I don’t know if this is something you do or not I never really have a good feel for the true inventory you are bringing. Would you please clear this up so those of us who intent to be there know what to expect. It would be disappointing to come and the majority of the items you have posted for Luckett’s have already been sold beforehand.

• Miss Mustard Seed says:

Good question! I rarely sell things before Lucketts. I know it’s a bummer for those who live out of town, but I do need to keep the inventory for people who are coming to the fair and paying to get in. I will do pre-sales for those attending the fair, though.

• pam harrison says:

Thanks for your post about pre-sales. I live in NC and would attend Lucketts if I lived closer. I am bringing in more white and blue in my house and have never seen such a nice baby quilt. It is perfect for my taste, but I am sure some lucky person will snatch up this quilt first thing :)

Pam

9. Olive says:

I have this exact chair, same material and carving on the legs, arms and top. I am so looking forward to seeing the changes you make with the chairs.
    I’ve wanted to re upholster this chair ever since I found your site. I have been very interested in how you choose to change the look of a piece of furniture. I must admit taking all the nails out has stopped me so far, You have inspired me to give it a go.

10. Jo @ Simple Pleasures Vintage says:

That blue and white quilt is very sweet and I imagine it will be hard to part with it.I love old quilts and am always on the hunt for them.

The chairs are great and remind me once again that I want to learn to reupholster! It’s on my list!

Can’t wait to see what you have at Lucketts!

Jo

11. Marlene says:

Beautiful things!

12. Vicki K says:

Ms Marian, the two French chairs are beautiful as is, and true to their own integrity, in my opinion. Can;t you just sell something beautiful w/o it being to your own taste? Please re-think reupholstering them….

I have been to your online store many times, and everything is always gone- you have turned me on to ironstone, and now I want a pitcher. Very frustrating! Can you put some Lucketts things on your sale site for all of us?? I live in Texas, and not likely to make it to Virginia! HA.

I enjoy your creativity.

13. The chairs would definitely be hard to part with, they are adorable!

14. Sheila Sabin says:

Totally unrelated to the post, i googled ironstone today; I found out that there is a White Ironstone China Society and that their annual convention is next month in Exton, Pa. I just wanted to let you know in case you wanted to attend because Exton is close to Bethlehem. I think you live close by, right? It is May 1-4 with a sale on the last day.

15. Sheryl says:

Where is Lucketts held. Where do you live and do you ever sell out of MI.

16. I enjoy following your furniture adventures, but I have a question based on my own collection of well-loved pieces. . .how do you get the musty smell out of the old wood pieces, especially dressers? I believe this issue limits the way I use the pieces in “real life”. Thanks for any good hints. . .Lisa

17. Marian, love your style and enjoy your blog very much. I think the weather is finally going to get warm enough to get my milk paint out and work on some projects sitting in my garage. I like, Lisa, who commented about the musty smell in antique wooden pieces, would also like to know if you have a trick for getting that smell out.