Pricing & Pieces to Paint

My dining room table was filled with pieces to price for Lucketts, mostly ironstone, and the living room was pretty cluttered as well, so I decided to get that taken care of.  Before I got to all of the pricing and packing, I had a conference call with my MMSMP retailers in the UK.  The girls came from all over…Scotland, England and Ireland.  It was so exciting to talk to them about my vision for the brand, ideas and tips.  So often it’s just me in my basement or me pecking away at my computer and it doesn’t hit me how much my expectations have been blown out of the water.  In fact, just last week I learned that we have a retailer coming on in Dubai.  Like, THE Dubai.  Not Dubai, Wyoming or something, but THE Dubai.  Crazy and very humbling.

Anyway, after the call, I got to the pricing.  I think I packed up six boxes of ironstone.  In one of the boxes was this pretty tureen…

MSI_5236

…the handles are very unique and I was tempted to keep it, but I put a tag on it.

MSI_5237

I also priced these two mirrors I found on clearance.  They are obviously not antiques, but I think they will look amazing as a part of the booth display hung from an antique door over a dresser.

MSI_5240

MSI_5241

I usually only buy all white ironstone, but I thought these little butter pats were sweet.

MSI_5234

And I wanted to show that this ironstone came from Japan.  A few people have asked me about it, so yes, some ironstone is from Japan.  I would say 99% of the ironstone I find is American or English, though.  Obviously, this ironstone is newer as well, but they were inexpensive, so I picked them up.

MSI_5235

As I was pricing and packing, Cari (aka “The Machine”), started painting these pieces…

MSI_5228

MSI_5229

MSI_5232

That last piece is my favorite.  It has definitely been neglected for a while, but it is a really old dresser and the hand-carved handles are amazing.

It may be a keeper…

Comments

1. oh wow you have fabulous pieces…I need to add some ironstone to my booth…now if I could just find it here at a great price!
    Thanks for sharing your stash!
    Love the Eastlake dresser too…i have a thing for dressers and they are so versatile!
    Cant wait to see what colour this becomes!
    Congratulations on your newest retailer!..Dubai!

2. Heather says:

Where did you find those amazing sunburst mirrors? I love them!

3. So exciting! Love the darling handles on the Ironstone, and that last dresser oh la la! I can’t wait to see the finished piece.

4. emily b says:

LOVE those mirrors! I’ve been looking for one similar for my living room.

5. Thanks for mentioning about Japanese ironstone. I found some at the Goodwill Store the other day (Yes….Goodwill!!) and was wondering how “authentic” it was. I’ve just started collecting a little bit, so appreciate you sharing your knowledge of all thing ironstone with us.

6. Teresa says:

Congratulations on your new retailer! I have a feeling I better be at Luckett’s bright and early or the ironstone inventory will be cleaned out.

7. Patti G says:

I love the butter pat dishes, are those for sale?

8. Wendy says:

After your treasure hunting trips, do you wash the ironstone so that it’s pristine before pricing and tagging for resale? Or do you leave any soot on the pieces to add charm/character? Given the amount that you tend to find, it would seem that you would be washing for days! :)

• Miss Mustard Seed says:

I wash some of it…it just depends. I try to use goo-gone on all of the sticker residue and such and will wash pieces if they look really grungy.

9. Marcee ... ILLINOIS says:

Rare to find most anything (oldies) from Japan. My auntie left me her ironstone. Lasted a long while. I still have coffee and tea pot, along with sugar bowl. Of course I’m not shopping these days. Over and done! Haa. Did for many years. Trying to lighten up the load and downsize.

10. Angie W says:

I have the same question as some others – where did you find those mirrors? LOVE them.

I’m guessing you shouldn’t put ironstone in the dishwasher but wanted to check with you to be sure.

Thanks!

• Miss Mustard Seed says:

I only put newer ironstone in the dishwasher if it says it’s dishwasher safe. My everyday dishes are ironstone from the 1970′s and it goes in for a scrub all the time!

11. Oh, so many pretty items!
    Marian, how much are you asking for the green garland butter pats? Would you consider shipping them instead of selling them at Lucketts? And how many of them do you have?

I love that last dresser, too. I would love to be able to see those carved drawer pulls in person.

12. Sheila says:

Marian, you have such a full, blessed life. Lots of hard work, but you get to play with treasures all day. I couldn’t do what you do in pricing things to sell. If they were as pretty as the finds you showed today, I’d be gobbling them all up and keeping them :-). Thanks for sharing.

Sheila

13. beth cook says:

I know I’m third in line but I would also be interested in buying the white and green butter pats. Thanks

14. Janet in Kansas City says:

Do you ever paint metal furniture? If so, what product do you use? I have this cool old metal 3 tier table on wheels, and I’m not sure how to proceed. My brother sand blasted the rust, where do I go from here?

15. Kelly says:

Saw that exact same sunburst mirror at hobby lobby. They were asking 85 bucks at a discounted priced already. I was upset that it was still too much for me. So I went back the other day hoping that it would still be there with a lower price. Stupid me, it’s gone. Oh well.

• Believe it or not I recently seen similar mirrors at Homegoods and also Big Lots

• Kelly says:

I went to home goods the other day. Nothing. I will try big lots tomorrow. Thanks!

• Miss Mustard Seed says:

I got these on clearance at Hobby Lobby. I am reselling them for $85, if you’re interested…

• Kelly says:

Yes I am interested. But I am not sure if I am able to go the fair this year due to my husbands job (he is in the middle of training in becoming a railroad engineer)
            However, if it’s not a problem if I can go by and pick it up since I do live in Harrisburg. Let me know what works for you. You won’t hurt my feeling if you choose to turn me down. Thanks. :).

16. Check home goods shop and believe or not similar ones at big lots the mirrors

17. Oohh sounds so exciting!! I wish I wasn’t so far away. I’ve been reading up on your Ironstone articles and challenged myself today to see if I could spot some. Very proud of myself .. The first piece I spotted and it was ironstone

18. Those mirrors are awesome! Too bad I’m in CO or I would love to buy one! I see the Hobby Lobby suggestions, I’ll have to check my local store! Ironstone is hard to find here too. Lovely items Marian!

19. I have a piece exactly like that last one…can’t wait to see what you do with it. I haven’t touched mine since it was given to me by my mother’s friend, but am considering painting it.