Last Week’s Finds

When I get home from shopping, I like to open all of the bags and boxes and spread everything out on the dining room table.  I think it has to do with feeling a sense of accomplishment.  This is what I did today.  It’s harder to feel that when it’s out of sight.  I think it also makes my hauls look more impressive.  I do live in an area where ironstone is a pretty regular find, but it’s not like I walk into a shop and it’s all piled neatly waiting for me.  This spread was collected from four different stores over hours of scouring booths and shelves.  I also don’t get it all at bargain basement prices.  Sometimes I do find a plate for $.50 or a pitcher for $5.00, but most of the time I buy ironstone because I love it and want a lot of it in my space, so I don’t mind if I only make a few dollars on it.  I also wouldn’t be broken hearted if I’m left with some ironstone at the end of a sale.  Well, or I know I can always sell it online.  So, in my mind, ironstone is always a good thing to buy!  Unless it’s pricey, I pick it up.

I will admit, though, I’ve become a bit of an ironstone hound.  I can scan a booth filled with knick-knacks and “collectibles” and spot a lone piece of ironstone in no time flat.  Although, I did miss a pretty, well-price platter on Friday, but my mom caught it.  She made sure I was aware of that fact!  Anyway, here’s a look at what I found…

MSI_5152

MSI_5154

MSI_5156

I know this coffee pot is broken and rough, but I loved the shape and it’s an old piece of ironstone.  To me, the chips and broken spout make it look like something that was dug out of a archaeological site.  Like – “This broken 1890 coffee pot was unearthed on the grounds of a Circa 1810 estate during a renovation.”  My imagination cooks up a story and makes the piece even more endearing.  Anyone else get that?

MSI_5157

And this big pitcher is a beauty!  I think I might swap it out and sell another one…

MSI_5158

MSI_5159

This pitcher is French ironstone and has a really interesting shape and strainer on the spout…

MSI_5160

When I first saw these, I thought ew and walked on, but the lure of ironstone was too great.  I turned back and gave them more thought.

MSI_5153

They are not common finds and were such pretty pieces of ironstone that I picked them up.  Honestly, the idea of spit sitting in them makes my stomach churn.  I think I’m cooler with a chamber pot, which is a little strange, but true.  (I stop at the bed pans.  That’s a line I will not cross.)  Anyway, given their intended purpose, here’s the first thing I did with the spittoons…

MSI_5168

Those things are squeaky clean after several soakings and some scrubbing with a retired toothbrush.

I did find some other things as well…

MSI_5161

MSI_5162

The stash for Lucketts is growing…

Comments

1. That is quite a haul! I love the pitchers and teapots. The spittoons, hmmmm, not so much. Lol

2. Teresa says:

I actually kind of like the spittoons. There are a couple on eBay I keep looking at because of their interesting shape. I’m so jealous of your haul! I live in Alabama and only find a lone piece of ironstone here and there. Needless to say, I’ve become an eBay junkie! Lol.

• Linda says:

Teresa, be sure to check out junk stores, thrift stores, and Goodwills. Most of the ironstone I have was purchased at these places. I have found milk pitchers, plates, platters, mugs, sugar bowls, etc. Go often. Linda

3. Wow that was strange. I jujst wrote an extremely long
    comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn’t
    show up. Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again.
    Anyways, just wanted to say excellent blog!

4. Eileen says:

You have a real radar for ironstone. I never find those amounts. Good for you.

5. Shelley says:

I LOVE the pitchers, scale and step stool…LOVE, Love, love…up here in Maine I don’t have as much luck finding ironstone. So when I do I get giddy! You have such a great eye, wish you were here so we could go shopping together!

P.S. Your blog is the first thing I do once my coffee if poured.

6. Lisa~A Cottage To Me says:

Ironstone is a pretty random find here in MI too. I found an ironstone bowl in the dark basement of a shop yesterday and of course it came home with me. The mark on the bottom is barely legible I can only make out Warranted along the top of a Lion with a crown and a Unicorn with an oval between them with a crown on top and at the bottom of the oval appear to be four 8′s. I looked online for what it might be and came up with nothing! Maybe you know and could clue me in! Love your collection!

7. Carolyn says:

Yay! Can’t wait to see your booth!

8. Lucketts is too far away but, have you ever considered at booth at The Brimfield Antiques Show in Massachusetts? New Englanders would love to see you there!

9. I’m in love with that pitcher. If I had found it it would never leave my hands. Ironstone is getting scarce around my parts and pricey when you do find it. You are the Ironstone whisperer!

10. You found some great things. The pitcher is my favorite piece!

11. so happy for you! we would never find all that stuff here in a day!
    Fabulous!

12. Rondell says:

Those pitchers are gorgeous, love the one with the strainer in the spout. I really don’t know about the spittoons I think they would have to grow on me a little before I bought them.
    Great haul Marion!

13. Sheila says:

What a great haul girl !!! You’ve got a good eye.

Sheila

14. those bed pans make for an interesting planter..think Hens and chickens of various colors..looks awesome against that white

15. Sharon says:

I live in Missouri. I am trying to figure out if I really have found ironstone since any piece I pick up is never marked. My mother collected depression glassware and other kinds of glassware and I have been giving it away to charity auctions and thrift stores to get rid of it all. Wish she would have collected some ironstone with her glassware and antiques. Enjoy reading your blog and loved your book. Thanks for all your inspiration.

• Jackie B says:

Sharon,
      You could always sell your Mothers collection on Miss Mustard Seeds Pages! I am sure there are many MMS readers that collect depression glass. Just a thought. :)
      Jackie

16. Suzy Wilkinson says:

Where do you shop? It would be a dream just to shop with you !! I love your taste and what you find. :)

17. Debbie says:

Hi Marian, If it makes you feel any better, many of the old “spittoons” were actually urinals instead! So if you’re ok with the chamber pots, this should help you out a bit!
    Love your glorious stash!!
    Debbie

18. Marie W. says:

Marvelous to see the wonderful things you find. I hardly ever see old ironstone in my area.
    Adore your blog……thank you! Marie

19. joaenell says:

what is your definition of ironstone? I looked it up and got the impression there are several brands and not always white. I love your collections and am intrigued.

• Ironstone comes in many colors. I have a couple blue (blue Liberty) and a couple rose colored and one beautiful brown plate. I think Marian has said she prefers whie. As do I.

• Miss Mustard Seed says:

Yes, ironstone is a kind of china and there are many brands, makers, patterns, etc. Most that I find is English and American, but it was made in France, Japan and other places. It does come painted, in transfer patterns, gilded details or just plain white. As Ginger said above, I just prefer the white. :)

20. Hi Marian,
    I would put a beautiful orchid in that coffee pot . I just did the same thing with a little breakfast pitcher that had a broken spout. Such an elegant plant in a humble little container. Love love your treasures !!!
    Wish I could come shop unfortunately I live in ca.

21. Have you seen my homemade lamps? That ironstone teapot with the broken knob off the lid is perfect for a beautiful lamp. Just use a ceramic drill at the center of the lid where the knob was then on the back side for a cord. It’s really simple if you drill under a bit of water. I need that round lone lid by it to complete my wall lid collection too!

22. I love the pitchers too, Marian!
    …And I think the coffee pot is pretty despite being broken.

23. Patti says:

It’s funny where we each draw the line. I have a good sized collection and I don’t mind crazing or something that isn’t marked but I just can’t get with the stained pieces you find endearing! Love the pitcher though – Good job on your finds :)

24. What a wonderful pile of treasures. I am swooning over the pitcher. I collect white pitchers in all shapes and sizes. Hugs!

25. JaneEllen says:

Oh no you’ll switch and keep that incredible pitcher? I love it. I also love the first pitcher you showed, love, love it. I too love pitchers, always have. When we lived in KY I had quite a collection of pitchers, not ironstone but chickens, things like that. Wish I’d known about ironstone when we lived in KY, might have been able to get some great pieces then.
    Would you be interested in selling that first pitcher and shipping it to me? How much would it be? I am very serious. Let me know ok?
    You sure have an eye for great pieces, especially ironstone. Can understand why you love it.

26. Alicia says:

I really need to get to your neck of the woods to do some serious ironstone shopping! I really have to search for it here in the Northwest. Is that octagonal shaped teapot made by James Edwards? What amazing pieces you have found!

27. Natalie says:

I am a bit confused as well on what exactly IRONSTONE is exactly. When you read the markings…does it say IRONSTONE? I recently purchased a “transfer ware” dish. It has what looks like a brown transfer pattern on it. Are those ironstone as well or are they always plain in color?

28. Becky says:

Marian, just love your ironstone. I have a small collection of ironstone that was my moms, mostly pitchers because that was her favorite. I don’t see much of it in my area. The salvation army store is right beside the grocery store where a shop in my small town so started stopping in there from time to time to see what they might have. I bought a stack of dinner plates for just a few dollars and another week picked up a single pretty dinner plate for just 18 cents. It’s proudly displayed in my kitchen! Thanks for all your insight and info on ironstone. I’ve learned a lot.

29. Sandy says:

So much fun to go along on your journey of discovering collectibles! I have an old pitcher from my Grandmother like the one you bought with the little strainer at the spout…she always called it a ‘chocolate’ pot for serving hot chocolate. Thanks again for sharing your fun life!

30. I’m glad to find others that love ironstone as much as I do.

31. We should start hashtagging #luckettsstash. I’ve got a pile going too! :)

32. I think all the ironstone is on the east side of Pennsylvania. I’ve been scouring Pittsburgh for it and haven’t found a stitch! Great stash by the way. I adore your romantic taste! Do you hunt mainly in antique stores? Flea markets? I’m new to hunting for things on my own. Growing up I would reluctantly tag along with my Mom -who would turn on a dime in the car at the sight of a yard sale. She was a dish hound. I wished I was more into when she was on the hunt. She has gorgeous sets from yard sales and such. Maybe now I would have a nice collection if I had paid more attention. Argh! So, any tips on buying for someone starting their collection on a tight budget?

33. Miss Mustard Seed says:

I search everywhere! I have been hitting antique stores lately, but I’ll shop anywhere….yard sales, thrift stores, auctions, flea markets, etc.