The Mustard Seed Pages is live!

The Mustard Seed Pages

The Mustard Seed Pages is live and ready to go!!  So, what is it?

A few months ago, I mentioned getting a quilt for free from Layla at The Chapel Market.  This prompted a conversation in the comments of that post from readers who wanted quilts and then from others who had quilts they wanted to sell.  That got my wheels turning.  My blog readers are a collection of kindred spirits.  We have similar tastes.  We love working on our homes.  We appreciate antiques and handmade items.  We comb Craig’s List and Etsy and eBay for ironstone and French provincial furniture to paint and cool accessories that we can use to make our home ours.

The Mustard Seed Pages is for people like us.  It’s a FREE online classified where you can list items to sell, trade or give away.  You can list things that will be picked up locally or items that can be shipped.  That is between you and the buyer.  Since we don’t want MSP to get clogged up with discount mattresses and Nascar memorabilia, we are limiting the categories to things that will appeal to readers of this blog (and me, too!)

Here are the categories…

Antiques, DIY Supplies, Furniture, Handmade, Home Decor, and Textiles.

There are some subcategories as well and I’m sure it will grow all the time as we notice a lot of listings under a similar heading.  (If you have any category suggestions, please share!)  In order to prevent junk, all listings will be approved before they are posted, so we have control over the quality of the listings.

The Mustard Seed Pages is a “use at your own risk” resource, so I would highly suggest using PayPal for transactions that aren’t completed in person, since they offer conflict resolution and protection for buyers and sellers.

So, you can start listing pretty things right away and hunting for treasures!

A few tips for success:

• Post pictures of what you want to sell.  A description alone rarely piques a buyer’s interest.
  • Give a good description of your item including measurements, defects, markings, and any other interesting facts you know like age, origin, etc.
  • Keep your price realistic.  I know many of you are selling things for a living and you need to make a profit, so I understand that.  I know that many of my readers are bargain hunters, though, so a nice price will fetch a lot of attention, I’m sure!
  • I’m going to promote the MSP and highlight great items I spot to help you with selling your items, but I would encourage you to share them on Facebook, Pinterest, etc. as well.
  • Send any listings for ironstone to me before you list it.  I’m just kidding.  :)

MSI_3628

Some answers to FAQ’s…

• If I list on Etsy or eBay, can I list here, too?  Sure thing!  As long as it’s stuff that’s in line with what MMS readers would like, go for it!
  • How does shipping work if I want to buy an item that’s not in my area?  That’s between the buyer and the seller.  I’ve seen people listing shipping costs in the post, but that might be something that is calculated once the buyer and seller connect.  Just send an e-mail to the seller through the ad to work it out.
  • How will I know if something is sold already?  I would request that people remove their post once the item has been sold in order to prevent hopes from being dashed!  So, sellers, please remove the post once the item is sold.
  • I’m trying to upload photos and it’s telling me the files are too large.  Try resizing the photos to make them smaller and see if they will upload then.  If your software isn’t working, try this…  http://jpeg-optimizer.com/.

This is an idea that I threw at my “tech guy” and he figured it all out for me and my lawyer wrote up some Terms & Conditions and here we are.  It’s a reality.  I’m sure there will be a lot of tweaks to be made and lessons to be learned along the way, so just hang in there with us as we figure it all out.  Hopefully, it will be a fun marketplace we will all enjoy!

Click HERE to get started!

MMS_Divider

Also, today I started listing things in my new online shop, which seems to be working a lot better than the old one!  All but one item has sold, but I’m about to list t-shirts (including the brand new MMSMP shirts), German glass glitter, I ordered more books, and I still have some great antiques to list.  More should be in there tomorrow, so don’t get discouraged if it looks like everyone else has beat you to it!

Comments

1. Great idea! I personally have a few great chandeliers from a local estate that I would love to sell! I’m north of Atlanta, in the burbs! Maybe you will add lighting soon?

• Cathy, It’s not my site by any means but with the comment about just trying to avoid Nascar overload…lol…I’m thinking Marian would def allow lighting. Wouldn’t chandeliers fall under the Home Decor category? I know I’d love to see them! :)

• Marlene says:

I would love to see the chandeliers too – Looking for one! Can you send me a pic?

2. Patti says:

I have a never been used set of blue willow dishware with all the serving pieces etc… that I have had stored away since my mom passed. We have down sized and I will never use this so is this something I could list? Love the entire concept!

3. Hi Marian, this is awesome. I’m a quilter. I love to make quilts, and make many custom quilts for others or finish incomplete quilt. I’ve followed your blog for over a year I believe, and also love to paint some craigslist furniture items for my house. Blue is also my favorite color and have variations of light blue walls in my house as well. I enjoy seeing your style. I don’t have a lot of ready made quilts. Just some of my own and maybe a few I could list, but I could make almost (preferable not those with curved piecing) any quilt someone might want, size, design and color. I’m just not sure if posting something like that would be appropriate, because for that I wouldn’t have an item. I have hundreds and hundreds of pictures of quilts I’ve made and finished or fixed some for others. I love to make quilts, and they are all hand quilted. I make them for my self as a hobby, but as a side I do it some for others as well. I love working with quilts, especially seeing old antique quilt tops finished so they can be enjoyed the way they were meant to be. Just wanted to see what you would suggest in how I can participate in this, or only if I have an actual item ready to sell right now. Thank you.

• It would be more like offering my services, to make you the quilt you’ve been dreaming of and have a picture of, or finish the quilt top your grandmother never finished, or one you picked up at a garage sale and would want to have someone finish it who would hand quilt it the way it was meant to be finished and used.

• Marlene says:

Do you have any quilts for sale now? I am looking for that special one!

4. HOW Cool is this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Marian, what a great resource this will be!

5. Congratulations! Although I’m still chuckling over the ironstone comment…cute!

6. MMM what a fantastic idea. I’ve been going through my home and boxing stuff to sell, i’m downsizing and after years of estate sales, yard sales, ect. I’ve accumulated lots of vintage and antique items. thanks for providing a way to sell them.

7. What a great idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Thanks Marian, I have already sold one of my listings, and a lady contacted me about painting a custom floorcloth for her. This is fabulous. Liz

9. Thank you, Marian!
    -Ginene

10. Kimberly says:

This is a great idea, Marian, and I am so happy to see it up and running already! I’m sure you’re going to get a lot of listings, I’ve checked the site and there’s already quite a few posted. I’ve got to get my stuff in order, and hope to post some things soon. This is a great resource for your readers. Thank you for offering this to us!

11. This is such a great idea! Thanks, Marian!!

12. Catherine R says:

As soon as I clicked on Miss Mustard Seed Pages, I got all these “Jelly Splash” game icons all over my page. Did anyone else have this happen? Have never had an issue like this on MMS site before. it’s so distracting….

• Miss Mustard Seed says:

Oh no. yeah, I hate ads like that, so please let me know if ever you see something like that and I’ll try to block it. Was it in a certain space? Or in front of the screen?

• Catherine R says:

It seems to be gone (-:
        It was ad add for a game (showed up on the top of the page on on the right side of page) and and then an address popped up repeatedly in front of the screen that gave the option to continue or cancel.
        Not sure what you did but it’s not there anymore so thank you! Now I can enjoy the FUN new site! It’s awesome!

13. MaryJean says:

Hi, think this is a great idea! I sell some vintage items on Etsy and would love to post a few items from time to time on yours, but I noticed that you ask for a website and the only site I have is my Etsy shop to show the item. As I read further you would not want anyone promoting a site and I not sure if that would include having a link to my item on Etsy. I don’t want to break any rules and I clearly understand why you would have limitations, so I guess I’m asking if it is alright to use the link to my Etsy shop or do i need to have separate webpage for this. I guess I’m a little confused!

• Miss Mustard Seed says:

Yes, you can list your Etsy shop as your website. You won’t be breaking any rules. :)

14. How clever! I love it!
    Thanks.

15. Just an idea, but if we could search by state too…I think that would be awesome. ;)

16. Christine says:

I am thrilled to have this venue. I’ve been thinking of selling some of my depression era quilts, but didn’t want the trouble of Craig’s List or eBay. I would rather put them someplace I know someone will appreciate them — and their value.

Now… If my cell phone camera will cooperate, I’m there!
    (Upper Marlboro, MD!)

17. Love this addition to your blog. How about a section for vintage linens; not just table linens.

18. Kaysha Fritch says:

This is lovely news! Is there anyway that one can search for items just in their state/city?

19. I’ve been using the MSP for two days and for me it’s a success. I’ve sold several pieces and sent them on their way to new homes and even found some gems I’d like to grab up. Categories I think would be helpful are bed linens, housewares or kitchen wares, and a place for ceramics/dishes that aren’t Ironstone. Thanks for your help with this!

20. I do not know my access code for an item I listed – an ironstone chamberpot. I have since sold the item from my etsy shop, but I cannot access my item on your page to remove it. I asked for the code, and it was supposed to be sent to me, but I have not received it. Thanks for your help.

21. Janet says:

Marion – I am wondering if you could post some of this FAQ type information for listing items on the classifieds on The Mustard Seed pages? Thank you!