The Mustard Seed Pages is live and ready to go!! So, what is it?
A few months ago, I mentioned getting a quilt for free from Layla at The Chapel Market. This prompted a conversation in the comments of that post from readers who wanted quilts and then from others who had quilts they wanted to sell. That got my wheels turning. My blog readers are a collection of kindred spirits. We have similar tastes. We love working on our homes. We appreciate antiques and handmade items. We comb Craig’s List and Etsy and eBay for ironstone and French provincial furniture to paint and cool accessories that we can use to make our home ours.
The Mustard Seed Pages is for people like us. It’s a FREE online classified where you can list items to sell, trade or give away. You can list things that will be picked up locally or items that can be shipped. That is between you and the buyer. Since we don’t want MSP to get clogged up with discount mattresses and Nascar memorabilia, we are limiting the categories to things that will appeal to readers of this blog (and me, too!)
Here are the categories…
Antiques, DIY Supplies, Furniture, Handmade, Home Decor, and Textiles.
There are some subcategories as well and I’m sure it will grow all the time as we notice a lot of listings under a similar heading. (If you have any category suggestions, please share!) In order to prevent junk, all listings will be approved before they are posted, so we have control over the quality of the listings.
The Mustard Seed Pages is a “use at your own risk” resource, so I would highly suggest using PayPal for transactions that aren’t completed in person, since they offer conflict resolution and protection for buyers and sellers.
So, you can start listing pretty things right away and hunting for treasures!
A few tips for success:
- Post pictures of what you want to sell. A description alone rarely piques a buyer’s interest.
- Give a good description of your item including measurements, defects, markings, and any other interesting facts you know like age, origin, etc.
- Keep your price realistic. I know many of you are selling things for a living and you need to make a profit, so I understand that. I know that many of my readers are bargain hunters, though, so a nice price will fetch a lot of attention, I’m sure!
- I’m going to promote the MSP and highlight great items I spot to help you with selling your items, but I would encourage you to share them on Facebook, Pinterest, etc. as well.
- Send any listings for ironstone to me before you list it. I’m just kidding. :)
Some answers to FAQ’s…
- If I list on Etsy or eBay, can I list here, too? Sure thing! As long as it’s stuff that’s in line with what MMS readers would like, go for it!
- How does shipping work if I want to buy an item that’s not in my area? That’s between the buyer and the seller. I’ve seen people listing shipping costs in the post, but that might be something that is calculated once the buyer and seller connect. Just send an e-mail to the seller through the ad to work it out.
- How will I know if something is sold already? I would request that people remove their post once the item has been sold in order to prevent hopes from being dashed! So, sellers, please remove the post once the item is sold.
- I’m trying to upload photos and it’s telling me the files are too large. Try resizing the photos to make them smaller and see if they will upload then. If your software isn’t working, try this… http://jpeg-optimizer.com/.
This is an idea that I threw at my “tech guy” and he figured it all out for me and my lawyer wrote up some Terms & Conditions and here we are. It’s a reality. I’m sure there will be a lot of tweaks to be made and lessons to be learned along the way, so just hang in there with us as we figure it all out. Hopefully, it will be a fun marketplace we will all enjoy!
Click HERE to get started!
Also, today I started listing things in my new online shop, which seems to be working a lot better than the old one! All but one item has sold, but I’m about to list t-shirts (including the brand new MMSMP shirts), German glass glitter, I ordered more books, and I still have some great antiques to list. More should be in there tomorrow, so don’t get discouraged if it looks like everyone else has beat you to it!