French Daybed Reveal

I apologize for missing FFF last night!  My site was down, which you might have noticed if you were trying to link up.  So, we’ll suspend our furniture link party until after the holidays.  Just save up those furniture projects for a couple of weeks.

A few months ago, I bought a caned French daybed from a used furniture shop. I think I paid $175 for it and it was in amazing condition with a full down cushion!  The upholstery wasn’t bad at all, but it was a yellowish-gold with a metallic shimmer to it, which isn’t really my thing.  The cane was all intact and the finish was nice, so I knew I wanted to leave those alone.  I did, however, want to reupholster it.

I presented a few fabric options and was planning on going with the plain hemp fabric, but then did a “room reset” and changed my mind.  The buffalo check was now perfect to go with the new leather sofa and new plan for the family room.

family room collage

We moved the daybed to the basement to make way for the Christmas tree, so it was the perfect time to get the upholstery work done.  I wasn’t planning on working on it until after Christmas, but it got bumped to the top of the list when the sofa delivery was delayed a few weeks.  We needed a place to sit until then…especially since we’re hosting Christmas this year.

I’ve never done upholstery or slipcovers in a check pattern, so I had to learn along the way, but I’m really pleased with how the pattern lines up.  It’s not perfect, but it’s pretty darn close.

missmustardseed-163 (534x800)

I used a smaller coordinating check fabric to make the piping.  (Actually, my mom made it during one of our “work nights.”)

missmustardseed-165 (534x800)

missmustardseed-166 (534x800)

I love how the buffalo check plays against the dark wood and the caning and it looks great against the new heathered jute rug.

missmustardseed-167 (534x800)

The daybed looks so pretty when it’s all fluffed, but since the pillows and cushions are all down/feather blends, anyone who sits in it leaves a nice imprint of their rear and it immediately looks slouchy and messy.  So, this is better used as an “occasional” sofa and sometimes as pillow-war ammo and for fort-building.

A few people have asked about the source of the buffalo check and, unfortunately, I think it’s discontinued.  My aunt, who is a talented designer, gave it to me out of her stash.  I am trying to find something similar, though, and haven’t found one that’s quite the right blue.  This one from Calico Corners is very promising, but I haven’t ordered a swatch, yet.   The thing I really like about the fabric from my aunt is that it has a nice texture to it, so it’s not flat, cheap-looking fabric.  I wish I could find more of the exact thing!  I’ll let you know if I find a good substitute.

I’m also sorry to say that I didn’t make a tutorial on this one.  I had to sort of figure out the upholstery as I went along and I messed up in a few places, but it all worked out and the mistakes I made are hidden by the cushion.  And I can live with that.  I’m not a person who gets all twitchy knowing that something isn’t right under the cushion that I’m currently making an imprint in.  I have a few more upholstery and slipcover projects on my list, so I’ll make some photo and video tutorials when I work on those.

MMS_Divider

Lastly, I wanted to show my new hair color and efforts at makeup.  (This picture isn’t touched up, FYI, and doesn’t have any filters, so that is my real eye color.)

missmustardseed-168 (534x800)

I only have my hair colored 2-3 times a year and that seems to be enough to keep it looking nice.  We don’t do an all-over color, so it looks natural as it grows out.  My stylist, Mary, does highlights and low lights to give the color some umph and dimension.  Naturally, my hair is a very ashy blonde and it tends to wash me out, but it makes a good base color for the highlights and low lights.

I wanted to go darker, but I do like the chunky highlights around my face, so Mary did the coolest trick.  She colored my hair, so that when I part it one way it’s darker and the other way, it shows more highlights.  I’ll have to show a side-by-side, so you can see what I mean.  She cut my hair, so it would part well on both sides also.  I’m wearing it parted on the “wrong side” most of the time, since it hides my cowlick and sweeps across my forehead better.

If you’re local and want to have Mary do your hair, you can find her at Serenity Salon & Spa in Gettysburg, PA.  Just tell her you read about her on Marian’s blog and she’ll give you 10% off your first visit.  (I didn’t receive anything to share this, by the way.  She is a great stylist and an entrepreneur I want to support.)

missmustardseed-170 (534x800)

As far as makeup, I’ve been really been trying step up my game.  I had to take makeup classes as a part of my theatre degree, but knowing how to put on fake beards and make it look like I have a fresh black eye doesn’t help me out much when it comes to every day makeup!  I’m dealing with fine lines and blemishes all at one time, so it’s a real challenge!  My skin actually looks better in this picture, even though it’s not touched up, because the photo is slightly overexposed.

I’m still trying different products and I’m figuring out what I like, but I’ll let you know when I find the magic combination.  I am wearing makeup every day and that really does make a difference in how I feel about myself and it’s nice to be ready to pick up a sick kid from school or sign for a package without having to slap something on, so I don’t look like I just rolled out of bed.

I usually get some spending money for Christmas and I think most of it will go towards clothes and makeup.  If anyone has any miracle products to share, please feel free!

Oh, and an update about my fitness journey is coming soon…

Comments

1. Deborah says:

Check out paulaschoice.com. She has great skin care products and foundations. She also has what is called Beautipedia that rates products from many makeup and skin care brands. It is my go to for beauty products. You can also find out what are the best products for your skin type. My skin hasn’t given me any trouble for years.(other than normal signs of aging!)

2. Pamela says:
  3. Margie says:

You are gorgeous! Hair, makeup, and all! Don’t let anyone change your mind about the nose ring. I like it. It’s cute. It’s a part of you individuality! I’m 60, have been using Obagi RXc system for years, a line recommended to me by my nail lady who’s been doing my nails for 23 years and has amazing skin. With too many years in the CA sun, I had a lot a lot of sun damage; Most people can’t guess my age, now. Take care of your skin now, and use a sun block!
    Your sofa is fabulous! I have a suggestion you might think about if the cushions are too floppy after a while. Usually, I think down cushions are actually backed with foam,wrapped with batting, and then the down is packed in on and around.-or you might make a big flat down pillow to place on top of the foam and batting. It would mean opening up your beautiful work, but it might be worth it in the long run. I’ll bet there’s a tutorial on it somewhere!
    I love your blog, check it on a daily basis- you are an inspiration to women of all ages!
    Merry Christmas!

4. Pamela says:

This might be close to your buffalo check fabric.
    Check out product details for more information

5. Jennifer says:

Wow, beautiful! You and your daybed!

6. louise says:

Gosh, you have been given sooo many suggestions that I almost feel redundant in giving you any more. How could you possibly try all of them? However, I am still going to tell you the products I love, because I am like that.

We have the same eye color. I LOVE the Naked 2 palette by Urban Decay. I usually don’t “waste” money on palettes as I rarely like enough of the shades, but all the colors in this one work. They are also very pigmented, the color goes on so smoothly and it lasts. I think I can honestly say I have not used another eyeshadow all year, and I wear makeup mosts days. (t is over $50 but it is worth it. And I am fruga/cheap. I’d buy it again in a heartbeat.

As for mascara, Revlon 3D. I find it comparable to the much hyped and much more costly “They’re Real” I may even like it better.

When it comes to foundation I have tried many over the past few years. I have sensitive and pale skin that is prone to dryness. I always come back to Almay Line Smoothing. I have tried all the powder mineral foundations, very expensive cream and liquid foundations (I always ask for samples in stores) but for me nothing looks as good and feels as light as the Almay. I have found that personally, on me. I don’t like mineral makeup, liquid just looks so much more dewy or luminous. I have to say it is ONLY the Line Smoothing that I like and it is gettering harder to find (I need to buy 500 of them) but it has not been discontinued. Trust me, I checked with Almay!

Blush. You can’t beat good old Covergirl Cheekers .. . or ELF available at Target has great blushes that are so cheap. Not inexpensive, downright CHEAP. Bright colors that could scare you away in the pan, but you only need a couple of light sweeps.

Invest in good makeup brushes and use the right brush for the right task. They make a big, no HUGE difference. Painiting your face is like painting furniture. The right tools are more than half the battle. Japonesque available at Ulta or Sonia Kashuk available at Target are more affordable ones that compare favourably to the much more costly but great brushes like MAC.

As for skincare, well, I’d have to know more about your skin, but it looks lovely, I can say that. Is it a little sensitve, does it get pink easily? A great exfoliant is two table spoons of Greek Yoghurt 2% fat (you need a bit of that good fat) and a large pinch of turmeric (which is anti-inflammatory and brightening) “smoosh” (that’s a techical term) that on your face for ten mins. Don’t let it get on a towel or anything fabric that you like. You will never get the bright yellow out. Do this once a week.

Pimples, spot treat with Queen Helene Mint Julep mask, leave the little dab overnight.

Cleanse with Cetaphil or Neutrogena Extra Gentle, even if you break out unless your skin is SUPER oily it is usually best to cleanse with something very gentle. Treat pimples with serums or creams, not a cleanser.

I have kept cost in mind with these recommendations (for the most part) but I love all of them. I have access to higher end and more $ products at work and I think those I have suggested compare very well,or may even be better. Especially the Greek Yoghurt/turmeric mask, as good as any high end exfoliant I have found.

Are you snoring yet?

7. mary w. says:

Looks like I am in a long line of people to recommend the Maskcara blog!

8. Patti says:

I really enjoy your blog! I am in love with the fabrics you used. Who makes the brown and blue bird fabric? It’s exactly what I’ve been looking for.

9. Anita says:

Wonderful!! It’s amazing.

10. Marian,

You are just glowing! My current fave foundation is Covergirl Outlast 3 in 1. It covers beautifully and feels like nothing on…also Flower Beauty BB Cream is fab but available only at WalMart. Have tried high end low end and everything in between. I would recommend you head for makeupalley.com and be sure you have your favorite beverage and a comfy chair because you will be there awhile :)

Looking forward to the new year and seeing what you come up with!

Sue

11. Marian,
    You look so fantastic! I am so proud of you. Who else would be capable of becoming a hard body over one of the busiest years of their life? I just put on 20 lbs because of stress eating, and here you are showing us all how much better you feel if you chose to be careful with what you eat and making sure to exercise. I am always afraid I’ll put in the time and effort and restraint and then be disappointed with the results. Thanks so much for showing your journey, because it’s proving to my stubborn mind that the effort really does pay off. The pictures are right there in front of me that it works. I feel a key in my heart turning and unlocking my own fitness journey. Thanks for being so open about what it takes to make your dreams come true both in your home and with your body. It gives the rest of us more courage.
    The Other Marian

12. Hi Marion,

I absolutely love the natural brand, Mychelle. I started out using their skin care products (creams etc) because I have super sensitive skin and now I use their make up as well. They have a lovely “cream foundation” in stick form that is the BEST ever. It is so easy to use! I can use it all over or just under my eyes. It feels so light and nice on but really does give a decent amount of coverage. I also use their blush stick (super fabulous too). I order directly from their site because they run sales a lot. For mascara I adore the natural brand, Ecco Bella. They received the best natural rating on the skin deep site. It is natural but it totally works (it looks as nice as my old favorite Great Lash)!!! The best price I have found on this is to order from vitacost. I frequently fall asleep in this make-up and never have any breakouts/problems because I don’t wash it off. You have to love that!

13. I have battled with skin issues forever, but my skin has never been better since I started using this: http://www.clearandsmoothskin.com/shop/ I found these amazing skin care products when I was searching for holistic alternatives to the chemical garbage I had been using. I get compliments on my skin now! I also highly recommend Bare Minerals makeup. Go to a retailer who sells it (Macy’s, Ulta, etc.) and they’ll show you how to use it. Good luck!

Ps-Love your blog! Love your style!

14. Marion,
    I have to say I agree a lot with Louise and I think I might try her Greek Yogurt Exfoliatant; with that being said, I guess I will add to the tremendous pile of advice you’ve already received. I will tell you I’m pretty sure I have a few years on you; I’m 42 and I work in a textile mill not in the public eye but I am compelled to share a few thoughts with you.

The worst thing is I’m afraid that all this advice on appearance is going to rock your confidence in the creative and truly beautiful person you are. It was very brave to ask everybody what they thought. I basically run my “what do ya thinks” by my sister and my two daughters. I’m not strong enough to listen to everyone’s opinion on my looks because everyone has got an opinion and they will probably be very different from the way you want to see yourself.

Congratulation on losing so much weight; what an accomplishment! I didn’t realize you would have had a need to lose that much. Unless you are blessed with perfect genetics, that is a factor that plagues all women. Through the years, my weight will be a little more or it will be little less, never extreme either way but I will caution you as you do get older becoming very thin will definitely show age worse and the wrinkles will show in your face more so don’t let it become compulsive. I don’t believe in scales. Keep a full length mirror and realistic eye and you’ll know when you look right and when you need to work on things.

We share the same hair, skin and eye color. I bet you were a blonde blue-eyed child and teen. My hair has darkened with age and my skin is much lighter as I’m not in the sun the same as a result I tend to look just washed out and even worse in pictures. I use to think I didn’t want to color my hair. I preferred to be natural as I think it’s a better look but I have taken to highlights and such.

I personally stay away from powdered foundation. If I wear powder I can put ten years on my face because it is going to find a crease to lay in especially around my eyes. Even in my twenties there were slight wrinkles around my eyes and powder will get in there. Many times, I use a sports foundation such as Almay or just a perfector. I am thinking to try some of the BB creams. For me they need to be thin but need to last the day.

I typically do not use blushes unless I am wanting more for a special occasion or maybe church. What works for me is a bronzer. I’ll use it just like a blush but I’ll go slightly heavier on my cheekbones and hit a light bit across my nose and forehead just to give a little sun-kissed look.

I like brown toned eye shadow. You might have to play with it to get the tone that actuates your eye. Too dark can look weird. Sometimes I want a little more their also and I’ll put a dash of blue but I make sure I use a light hand with that certain greens can work too but I don’t want it to compete with my eyes just make them pop. I always wear eyeliner! Most the time “black/brown” works best for me. I don’t put much on the bottom of my eyelid; that too can find a way getting places I don’t intend but I have lately taken to using a white eyeliner on the bottom lid. I work nightshift and it can take that pink tired look away. Maybeline still makes a great mascara.

I think lips are important. I like them to look as naturally full and pouty as they can. Red can look weird on me and I don’t like to look “pink.” Mauve’s can be good. On regular days my favorite go to right now is Burt Bees replenishing Lip Balm with Pomegranate. It has just enough color to look fabulous and very natural. My daughter is hooked on it. too. I keep it in my pocket always. It just looks like you’re moisturizing your lips and not trying to be a glamour girl. It does not bleed. If I need more umph I will use a mauve or natural color lipliner under the lip balm.

Moisturize more and scrub less..
    Are you about sick to death of all the girl talk..lol…

Just a little more of my opinion and a the question I have asked all my girls and boys when the subject of facial piercing, industrials, and tattoos have come up. I don’t like ‘em but why do you want it? They always tell me they want to express themselves. I then ask, “What are you try to say?” I haven’t gotten an answer yet….I don’t know..

I think you’re great..Most of all be happy and be yourself!

15. Laura Van Scott says:

Mary Kay mineral/powder foundation is wonderful! I dislike cream foundation because my face gets so dry that it always looks like it’s caked on. (fake) The powder foundation is around $20 but it lasts forever! You look great Marian! I admire you for sticking with your exercise and eating habits. Have a Merry Christmas! Jesus loves you!

16. maggie says:

Oh how I love the daybed! I was a fan of the buffalo plaid from the start and now I’m an even bigger fan. Great job!

I have the same coloring you do and the highlights/lowlights are a really good choice. You look great, too! I won’t even begin to try to advise on makeup since it’s such a personal choice but I will say that the mineral powder types really clogged my pores. Not good for me! I also cannot wear makeup brands that use animal-related ingredients which unfortunately a lot of them do. Good luck on your makeup search!

17. I use Paula’s Select (has to be ordered from WA) for all my cleansing and moisturizing. I LOVE her Hair and Body Shampoo, I don’t have to travel with 2 different kinds of cleaners.. For my makeup that is Mary Kay, foundation and powder, but I think that is going to change soon. I tried to get it all down to a simple, easy way of life for me and still look nice in the process.

18. Terrie C. says:

As a Mary Kay Consultant, I have to offer my recommendations. This company is not what it used to be. They are on the cutting edge in research and development. Some key points about the company-made in the USA, no landfill, Mary Kay Foundation which funds research for cancers affecting women and domestic violence shelters and programs. Debt. free.

Mineral Powder is great, but I would recommend the TimeWise Liquid Foundation in the Luminous formula if your skin tends to be dry or Matte if its combo/oily. The skin care is best and we launched our Repair line last August. Mineral colors are triple pigment. A lot of new items like a skin cleansing brush-it rocks. Lash/Brow serum that is phenomenal (less expensive than Latisse and don’t need a prescription). Best of all, every product is 100% satisfaction guarantee. Go to MaryKay.com, put in you zip code to find a consultant near you. You will be helping a small business owner as well.

Have a Merry Christmas and a joyous New Year. Christ the Saviour is born.

• Alicia says:

I agree with your make-up comments and am going to get in touch with someone I know who is a Mary Kay rep to support a local small business.

Joy to the World! Merry Christmas (for Christ is born).

19. Before too much makeup shopping, the librarian in me must recommend that you check out Paula Begoun’s books “Don’t go to the cosmetics counter without me” (the 9th edition came out in 2012, so pretty current)

I read it years ago and it really helped a lot with what to use for your skin type, what to splurge on and what to get at good ol’ Walgreen’s. Saved money and helped my skin at the same time!

20. OH, I think the French daybead turned out so cute :) :)

You look wonderful, too….you have good color but it’s not overdone :) :) I find that when I take the time to put on some make-up and dress up a little bit, even if it’s just casual, I feel better about myself and I work better….

When I take the time to dress up extra at work, I perform better there, too :) :)

Have a great weekend :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

21. Marian, the sofa looks awesome. I look forward to the coming tutorials.
    Your skin looks beautiful and your hair color is great. I wish I had Mary in east Texas.
    These are my everyday favorite everyday skin care and cosmetics.
    I love my clarisonic, my elemis marine cream night and day. Smashbox is my favorite for eyes and cheeks.
    I just found out about Birchbox. Have you heard of it? For $10 a month you can get a goodie box full of the latest products. I have signed up but haven’t received my first box yet. I thought it was a great way to try stuff I might not otherwise purchase.
    Happy hunting

22. Wandalee says:

Marian,
    I see there are lots of comments on the subjects of your sofa reveal ( love, love love ) and advice on make up.
    I will tell you as a very experienced ( aka OLD ,) buyer of lots of skin care products..that Philosophy makes some of the very best . Their Purity cleanser is awesome and a little goes a long way…Sometimes I can find their items at TJ Maxx…Their 3 in 1 shower gel has won awards for years…

Nothing is as beautiful as a happy girl,, It’s one of the things that draws people to your blog..just my opinion..

23. Brandy says:

You look fab. The cut and color are so cute, and fresh. Your eyes are gorgeous! Keep up the good work, and have fun!

24. Tami B. says:

Marian, I love your blog and how you aren’t afraid to keep it real. Your pics are stunning and so inspiring for a 44 yr old Mom of three like me.

25. Teresa kincaid says:

Love your heather jute rug.may I ask your source?
    Merry Christmas

26. Marian- I would recommend Maskcara http://maskcaracosmetics.3dcartstores.com. She makes easy to use foundation and the HAC PAC is reasonably priced as well. SHe has online tutorials on how to use the makeup. It is fabulous and makes my skin look flawless but not overly made up, which is NOT easy to do, let me tell ya’!
    I think you are bee-u-tiful anyhow you look so this is just a suggestion =)

Have the Merriest of Jesus’ birthdays!

27. I normally an not a make-up person. We have three girls and one in particular LOVES make-up and is so talented. A friend of mine was selling mascara that was supposed to be AMAZING!!! Ok….I ordered from her and the mascara came in. OH MY GOSH!!! It is incredible. So much so that we bought our talented make up daughter a starter pack to sell it ;) I had gotten to where all mascara made my eyes water. This mascara is a two part that I love!!! Give it a try! I listed her link. Give her some love…she is a teacher and is so excited about sharing all of their make-up. It is called Younique.

28. I am of course absolutely massively passionately in love the with gingham daybed. It couldn’t possibly be an cuter… It looks perfect in your house… wow!
    And as far as makeup, there are about 1 billion trillion choices out there… so good luck with that! I have some tried and true stuff, but not sure if it’s any better than what others are recommending. Out of all i’ve tried, I still think maybelline mascara is the best though… Your hair cut is just too adorable. I like it this color and when it’s blonde. Either way, your sparkling blue eyes just pop…

Cindy

29. Love everything….the sofa…the decor…your hair. I also really like the printed fabric on the throw pillow, great colors! Could you possibly send me in the right direction…i would love to purchase a yard or two? Hope you had a Merry Christmas…and have a happy/safe New Year.

30. Marion, I recommend the L’OreaL Visible Lift (cream) blush in Pink Lift/Rose (703). It’s the most natural looking blush I have ever used.

31. The daybed is wonderful but you are looking stunning!! Your weight loss is really evident. Keep up the good, hard work. Taking a close up like that is very brave but you are gorgeous and those eyes!
    I wish I could find some great French pieces around me here near Houston but I must not be looking in the right places. Good job ALL around ! !