Stop the World & Ironstone Mugs

It’s one of those times in my life when I wish I could just stop the world for about a week, so I can catch up on things that have been put on the back burner for days, weeks, months and even years.   I am on a tear to get things done. I have been organizing my way through the house and am making some real progress, so that’s been encouraging.  I’ve also been getting caught up on e-mail, insurance stuff, paperwork, cleaning my kitchen floor and other not-at-all fun things like that.  It’s slow, but steady, but I’m really ready to have my computer back (the drive died and is being replaced) and get to working on furniture painting and upholstery and creating things.

Before that can happen, we do need to be able to…you know…find stuff…and walk in the workshop without having to high-step around and watch out for dear life.  My mom and I made a huge dent in the basement mess tonight while all of the boys were at Awana.  We put an absurd amount of trash on the curb to (hopefully) be collected in the morning and another huge pile to take to the thrift store.  At one point, I went out to the curb to add another chair to the pile and a cute family was out there, thrilled at the curbside freebies.  It made me so happy that the things that have been cluttering up my basement were going to someone who felt like it was Christmas.

More to come on “the great purge” later.  I’m still waiting for my new lenses and the workflow without my computer is a real pain in the rear, so I’ve been a little lazy about taking and posting pictures the past few days.

I did take some pictures of some beautiful ironstone mugs I picked up before I went on vacation.  I’ve seen a stray mug here and there, but never bought them.  When I saw this set of six, I couldn’t resist.

Heirloom (800x534)

I love the scalloped detail on them.  If you notice, they don’t have handles.  Apparently that was common with old ironstone mugs.

Heirloom-2 (534x800)

I’m not sure how I’ll use them, yet, but I can think of dozens of uses off the top of my head.

Heirloom-9 (534x800)

Heirloom-11 (800x535)

Heirloom-12 (534x800)

…and they are ironstone, which is my very favorite thing to collect.  If loving ironstone is wrong, I don’t want to be right.

What would you do with them?

MMS_DividerWant to learn more about ironstone?  Check out Ironstone 101.

Comments

1. Julie says:

You could plant a topiaries in them, like boxwood, rosemary etc.

2. Oh yes, I do love ironstone. Those mugs are awesome!! I would use them as dessert bowls, cocoa au lait with cream, yum. Di@Cottage-wishes

3. Cindy K says:

They are so sweet., what a great find. I’m seeing small collections of color – various blue marbles in one, metal buttons in another, pastry beads in a third,…..

4. Tkelly says:

If they are old I would not use them for planters as over time they may stain. I too would go dessert too. Chocolate pudding, stove top cooked is so easy and so delicious. Our grandson loves it with some heavy cream on top. Bread puddings would also be good in them.

5. You could use them for a salad bar for the various little toppings such as: bacon bits, cheese, croutons, boiled egg.

or

in your work shop for bobbins, thread spools, needles, etc…

6. tonya says:

“If loving ironstone is wrong, then I don’t want to be right” – cracks me up! Sounds like an old song. Hey, they made a song about a thrift shop recently, you never know!

7. Sarah Lahrman says:

Use in the bathroom for cotton balls, Q-tips, toothbrushes, make-up brushes. In the office to hold pencils, tacks, paper clips. Use them for a mini herb garden and place them in a tray…..

Love them too…now I want them!

8. Stop the world, I wanna get off….totally reminded me of this Christian song I used to sing with my kids back when they were young http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYzmcCwRU7M

9. Terri Lawrence says:

They are wonderful! I would use them for afternoon tea.

10. Must be something in the “fall” air — I am on an organizing tear as well! Each day yields some progress (and a decline in my stress level), but I am also ready to get back to some creative projects. Thanks for sharing your journey.

11. I found your blog just last week through your tutorial on making slipcovers (which was great, by the way–and having sewn a lot, everything made sense to me).

We’ve been renovating and reorganizing our house, and one of the things that gives me great joy is putting stuff out on the street and seeing it disappear. We’re not often fortunate enough to see the things being taken, but on a couple of occasions we’ve seen families very excited, hardly able to believe their good luck in finding what they want for free. We have a lot of stuff that we could sell, but giving it to those who can use it makes us a lot happier.

You have a great blog and have done marvels with your house. I don’t know how you do all you while caring for your boys.

BTW, love the mugs.

12. Sue Pagels says:

I would set mini pumpkins on top either down my harvest table or my windowsills! :)

13. Karen G says:

I would place the mugs with a favorite fall napkin in tray with various grains, beans, corn with dainty tea lights atop. Who doesn’t love a little candle light in the fall? But eventually any mug must be used for soup!

I recently started following your blog…the first blog for me. You have such a calm invitation in your writing and photos. Thank you for sharing.

Karen

14. MaryS says:

ALL great ideas. I say PUDDING !!

15. so pretty! I scored a set of white ironstone handled teacups (no saucers) from Goodwill!

16. Czaczag says:

Soup, puddings, custards, fruit crisps, chili

17. I would use them for sauces with a favorite recipe

18. Claire says:

These are exceptional!!! I am just dying to find some of these for tea. Thanks to you, my mother and I have developed a full blown ironstone obsession! Let the hunt begin!