Lucketts 2013 Day One Recap

Saturday is always THE DAY of Lucketts.  That’s when the die hard buyers come and the place is always bustling.  I started the morning super early at 5:15 am, so I would have plenty of time to drive down and get the booth set up by the time the gates opened.  The skies looked a little cloudy as we drove south, but I was still optimistic.  Clouds are okay.  Clouds are good.

Just as we drove over the bridge into Virginia, the rain started to fall.

Nooooooo!

There were some clear spots of sky that were taunting me.  I thought of Maryanne in Sense & Sensibility.  “There’s some blue sky.  Let us chase it!”

Well, the blue sky just moved further away and when I arrived at Lucketts, there was a steady drizzle.  Bummer.  My heart sank.  All of my stuff was in a cube under a tarp.  There was so much to do and how were we going to do it in the rain.  I don’t want the waxed pieces or upholstery or my books or textiles or lavender or boxwood getting wet.  Okay, Marian.  This is what today is going to be and a little rain isn’t the worst thing that can happen.  Just go with it.   I had little pep talks with myself like that to prepare for 10 hours in squishy shoes and customers huddled under umbrellas.

As we started to shuffle things around under the tents, figuring out how to keep them dry, the rain let up.  I raced around, frantically trying to get things set up.  My husband kept assuring me that there was plenty of time.  I knew it was going to be tight and I knew I would have to start letting go of some of the ideas I had for staging the space.  There were fifteen minutes left and I thought we might make it.  Everything was at least presentable except the farm table, which had been the dry place to set stuff until I could put it in it’s place.  I was working on the table and last two boxes and my husband said, “Alright, here they come!”

“No, no…not really, right?  I’m not ready!”  I looked up and saw a bunch of people, rushing through the gate.  Ten minutes early.  The line of people was blocking the parking lot, so they had to open the gates.

For a few seconds, I felt the disappointment welling up.  I didn’t get to finish.  I’ve worked so hard and I didn’t get to execute my vision for my 2013 Lucketts booth.  I stood, a bit dumbfounded and at a loss, looking at my farm table, which was a mess.

DSC_9729 (640x424)

In my distress, the people rushing around my space, pulling tags, gathering things up in their arms, was a blur.

DSC_9728 (640x424)

I finally snapped out of it and took notice of what was happening in my space.  No one else cared that it was unfinished.  I don’t think anyone even noticed.  This was such a snapshot of how silly I can be.  Running around fretting about things that don’t matter and I miss the amazing things that are going on right around me.  I realized that I needed to just let it go.  The booth wasn’t finished and that was okay.  It really didn’t matter.

We had to set up the checkout under a makeshift lean-to with a tarp and customers had to hunch over as Faith and my mom wrote up tickets and it really didn’t matter.

DSC_9724 (640x424)

The line was so long that Emily and I abandoned the unpacked boxes and started writing tickets and taking cash in the line and that didn’t matter.

DSC_9738 (436x640)

I was so busy, that I had to give up control of my camera to Shawn, who took some really nice pictures…

DSC_9726 (640x424)

DSC_9804 (424x640)

DSC_9794 (424x640)

DSC_9750 (640x396)

DSC_9723 (640x424)

…and found quite a source of entertainment in catching my photo-bombing husband…

DSC_9771 (640x425)

DSC_9770 (425x640)

DSC_9758 (640x465)

DSC_9757 (640x449)

DSC_9755 (386x640)

…and that didn’t matter, either.

Dude…I was laughing out loud at those pictures last night.  And that’s not even half of them.  He’s always been able to make me laugh.

Anyway, most things didn’t go as planned and weren’t how I imagined them to be, but it was all perfect in it’s own quirky, wonderful, remember-the-year-at-Lucketts-when-we-did-fill-in-the-blank kind of way.

Fortunately, Allison from The Golden Sycamore did share some of her pictures with me…

the-golden-sycamore-lucketts-market-1

the-golden-sycamore-lucketts-market-2

the-golden-sycamore-lucketts-market-3

the-golden-sycamore-lucketts-market-4

the-golden-sycamore-lucketts-market-6

the-golden-sycamore-lucketts-market-7

the-golden-sycamore-lucketts-market-9

And despite the tarps and the rushing around like a crazy lady and the fact that I didn’t finish, it was the best fair day ever.  Most of my furniture was sold within an hour.  Pieces flew out of my booth at an overwhelming pace.  There were so many people to meet with and talk to and sign books for that I didn’t take a sip of water until about 2:00.  We even had some other Lucketts vendors swing buy later in the day to find out what we were selling that caused such a frenzy.  That made me smile.

As with all events, I learned a lot of lessons and have some plans for how to make things even better for next year.

Did you catch that?  Next year.  So, start making those road trip and girl’s day out plans for Lucketts 2014.  I’ll be there.  I may not finish setting up, it may rain, my pretty white tents may be hidden under blue and gray tarps, my shoes may be squishy and I may have a really bad hair day and dirt under my nails, but I’ll be there.  I hope you’ll be, too.  And that’s all that really matters, right?

Comments

1. Susie says:

I really do love your ideas and blog. Although sometimes you are a little full of yourself.

• Jessica @ Dear Emmeline says:

I can say as a reader and someone who has had the opportunity to meet Marian in person on several occasions that she is incredibly humble and down to earth. She has repeatedly given God the credit for her success and continually points out things she perceives to be her own shortcomings. She is as transparent as they come even though she doesn’t have to be.

• I totally agree, I can be just like Miss Mustard Seed, getting all caught up in placing things just the way I think they should be and not making the finish line, later realizing that God has other plans for the finish line! I have to LOL and Hubby, what a HOOT! :-)

• Aw, Susie. Sorry if I came across that way.

Thanks, Jessica. :) Hugs.

• Gaylin says:

Wow! Jealous much!? Marian you never sound that way!
        I am sure she doesn’t have a darling husband or adoring fans!

• Marian, your response is full of grace. I read your blog a lot and I never once have I thought you anthing but gracious, giving, and humble. Thank you for sharing your talent so openly, putting yourself out there and taking critical comments in your stride – if you didn’t do what you do, we’d all be sorry!

• Ohh….do I sense a little jealousy? Please!!! Miss Marian is extremely humble and grateful for all that she has been blessed with. If you just want to go to her blog and steal her ideas, because she is always happy to share how she does things, unlike many other bloggers, then my dear, please go elsewhere and just look at the pretty pictures!!!
      Angie from Pensacola!

2. Honestly, it wouldn’t matter if your items were stacked on top of ant beds, beneath swarms of bees, in the middle of a briar patch and poison ivy. It would still be worth it!
    I am a new reader, and only learned of this glorious event about a week ago. No time to plan a trip from Bama. But mark my words, I will be ready next year.

Unless Luckett’s becomes a travelling market before then…hmmmm that would be awesome. Better than a circus, even!

• Your daily blogs in my inbox are what makes my day! I’m over here in NJ but let me tell you, one of these days, I’m going to Virginia to see this Old Lucketts Store! I agree with all of the “positive” readers on your blog. @ L I agree! Wouldn’t that be a fun idea, a traveling market coming to a town near you! LOL! In the meantime, I’m happy to have found a store in Swedesboro, NJ that carries your milk paint. I can’t wait to get started on this baby dresser. With any luck (keep your fingers crossed for me ladies), I will gladly post a before and after picture.

• Eowyn West says:

Hi Lorraine! I live in NJ too. Southern part, near Marlton & Voorhees. Where is the store in Swedesboro? I would love to purchase some MMS milk paint also. Next year I hope put together a trip the Lucketts Store too! Best of luck on your baby dresser…

3. Bahaha your husband cracks me up! Glad the sale was a success. Just tell them the main ingredient in your secret sauce is mustard ;) and maybe some MSG. That’s how you hook ‘em and have them in a feeding frenzy!

4. Jackie Zogran says:

Marian, I just want to let you know what an inspiration you have been to me. I am a retired youth minister who has raised five beautiful daughters and have a wonderful husband. I have found my creative side in the past year. I have always been a junker/flea’antiquer. I love memories. I also love to give a little (sometimes a lot) of love to items and give them a second life. Thank you so much for sharing your journey, whether it is your business, your family, your life…it all is truly a gift. I hope one day to meet you and to get the opportunity to visit Lucketts. Smile, Jackie

5. Denise Shideler says:

It was perfect, and I am enjoying my trophy, my ironstone pitcher (had flowers plopped in it the minute I got it home), my small silver cup, my evergreen wreath, and my scrabble letters that spell out our last name. You are so hospitable and so sweet. No wonder you are such a success!

6. Judy Hodges says:

The photos show just how hard you worked. Although perhaps nothing was finished or perfect, chances are in their frenzy to acquire a piece done by you, no one noticed.

What a wonderful inspiration you are to anyone who loves family, home and things with history.

Cheers

7. Lucketts was such a blast this year, as always, and your booth was gorgeous in spite of the rain! I didn’t get a chance to meet you, but I bought your Candy Marshmellow Peanuts box. It was the only thing I bought at the whole market. It’s a newborn prop for my mom and my photography business. I love it; I’ve been dreaming about it since you blogged about it! I may save it for the fall to use first with my own newborn! Meantime, it’s being used as a blanket and toddler book basket in my family room. I’ll send you a picture when it has an adorable baby sleeping in it!! :)

8. Bonna says:

Please don’t take that mean comment to heart. I love reading your blog and enjoy how you keep it real! I think it”s wonderful that you “let your light shine”

9. Dear MMS,

This is probably not the time to mention, and would be likened to suggesting having another baby after just giving birth to the first one, BUT I am going to do it anyway. Ask the question, “Why wait?”, when you could easily do another show before Lucketts next year.

You are officially invited to Texas for Antique Weekend, September 21st – October 6th. This includes Round Top, Warrenton, Carmine and Burton shows. I live a few minutes away and know that we would love to have you here. Think about it in a few days when the dust has settled.

Thank you for being so willing to share your ideas. I have greatly benefited in my own antique business from your tutorials and have been painting away ever since. You do inspire me! Thank you!

10. Denise T says:

Seeing that you had a lot more on Saturday. I came Sunday instead. Iaughed out loudly at the pictures of your husband. A sense of humor is always a plus!

11. Kim Broderick says:

Marion, I love reading your blog. I was offended by what the 1st poster Susie said today. You are so honest, talented, humble, and inspiring. I don’t post comments often but I wanted you to know I look forward each evening to reading your blog. I am hoping to make it up to Luckett’s next year! If you ever come to Florida let me know! Kim

12. Marion, thank you for sharing yourself in your blog, your furniture, your ideas! What I love most is that you realize you can’t do it all, but that is still okay! Because we ALL need that reminder when we are working hard. Thanks be to God for helping us each day. Thank you for sharing.

13. I’ve been reading the blog last few days, waiting to see how the weekend would turn out, and jealous of all those able to get to lucketts. Just too cool! Looks like it all worked out, and what a great weekend, despite the rain. Family is so important and you have a wonderful support system!

14. I love your blog, and appreciate all that I have learned from you…But I gotta ask, have you lost weight? You looked great in those pictures! As my adult children would say “You look so diesel!” :)

• Ha! Diesel. I love that. Yes, I have been working out and losing weight. 13.5lbs and about another 20 to go. I’ve been doing P90x and using My Fitness Pal. It’s so nice to know it’s noticeable! :)

15. All I have to say is…you inspire me.

16. Jessica says:

MMS, My husband and I were so glad to meet you on Saturday and get your thoughts on butcher block counter tops. I went away from your booth with new ambition to get out the milk paint I bought a month ago and start painting. I picked up some lavender and grain sacks too . . . the scent is delightful and brings me back to the wonderful day we had hunting for our home renovation. We found an old mantel, a beautiful dresser, a chandelier, a slip covered chair and much more . . . What fun!

Can you send me the names of two girls ( they were dressed alike, red and white skirts) and you stopped by there booth to say hello . . .I think they are from the Harrisburg area. One girl milk paints and the other upholsters furniture . . .

Thanks and God Bless your night!

17. MMS ~ I have been an admirer of yours for quite awhile and enjoy when I can sit down and catch up on your posts. You are such a classy girl! You’re genuine, amazingly talented and inspiring to so many. If I ever travel out your way, I’m headed to straight to Lucketts! Thank you for sharing your talents and keeping it real.

18. Deborah Lemmer says:

MMS,
    I could hardly wait until you wrote a post to tell those of us too far away to attend the big day, just what the day was like! You are so good at writing your blog so that we feel like we are right there with you.
    I had to chuckle with you, and at myself, at how we ‘build’ for an event, and how hard it is to let go of the vision we have for the event when things aren’t going just as planned. I liken your attitude about your booth at Luckett’s to what it is like preparing for a holiday for our families. I stay up wee into the night so that everything will be perfect and over the past years have been trying to ‘right my attitude’ to not let my own good time be spoiled by the experience not matching my expectations. When I’ve been able to do this the joy is so great for all. Hard to let go when you care so much. I appreciate your shining light and shining example as you share what you are learning about yourself as you grow and learn from life experiences.
    It’s also very normal to let one negative comment nag at you, even when you have so many admirers and those who appreciate you so much. Hope you can shrug off the tacky comment at the top and prove her wrong by having a chuckle at it.
    As others have said, you are an inspiration to myself and others and how cool is that!

19. I thoroughly enjoyed reading all of this post and laughed out loud at the pictures of your husband. You HAVE to have a spouse with a good sense of humor if you are going to have that level of crazy from time to time. That is so fun that other vendors came over to see what the mad rush was. So fun your furniture flew out of there! Thanks for giving me a slice of this event. Some day for me I will see it in person.

20. So very happy that you had such a successful weekend. I LOVE that you can see things in yourself. That you can let things go. That you “Roll with it baby!” Do a little dance and get some rest. And btw, cute little photo hog you have there.

21. JaneEllen says:

I so enjoyed seeing pictures of all the craziness. Your hubs is a hoot for sure. That sure helps huh? So glad you have a great support system, maybe that’s one of big reasons you are so successful, you feel secure in love of your family, what more do we need?
    Did you sell that little white buffet, I love that piece, not too big for our little house.
    Like so many other people I too would so love to be able to attend Luckett’s market. Wish you were a traveling show. Grand Junction wouldn’t know what hit it. You’re what G.J. needs. We’re not Denver but somewhere there have to be people that would enjoy a show like yours.
    If I knew how to arrange something like that I’d be doing it. I’m having withdrawal from great old stuff.
    No matter what the weather was like you would have made it ok. That’s one way we have to learn about letting go of our stringent ideas sometimes, things come along like lousy weather to help us learn to think differently and even more importantly, adapt and move on, good for you gal.
    I did notice right away how much thinner you look, must feel good to know all your hard work and adjustments are working. Losing weight is never easy but worth it. Happy days gal. So glad I found your blog.

22. Kimbydee says:

Love the Luckett’s photos every year! I laughed out loud at the hubs photo bombs. Wanted to let you know that your blog is one of the first I ever read years ago and it’s always the one I read no matter what. Thanks for being such an inspiration!

23. Re: Your husband photo-bombing. I must admit I laughed out loud after seeing the pictures, his poses and facial expressions. Classic.

I perceive you as taking pride in what you do, and not boasting. I see you as finding joy in creating your niche and sharing that joy. This is all perception from reading your blog regularly, but it shines through.

Congratulations on the many successes of the weekend.

24. Debbie K. says:

I adore you Marian, and think you’re full of grace. I so enjoy your blog and love the inspiration you offer to so many, myself included. Thanks for all you do and keep doing and being exactly who you are, you touch many in a wonderful, positive way.

25. Projection, susie❤ we all know people like this, good of you to let it roll Marian. And I LOVE your husband too. The photos were great. I already told my friends…ROAD TRIP 2014.

26. Pamela Marshall says:

Marian,
    I know how you feel. I had a Christmas at my home sale a few years back and I felt like I wasn’t ready before people started coming in, but you just have to go with it and try not to let it ruin all of the work you have done. I like your attitude and you are not full of yourself, you are full of great advice and I like how you are so honest about how you feel. Your honesty will help other people who are in the same situation! Blessings!!

27. Marian,
    Glad to see that the rain didn’t spoil it in the end and the you had a successful day. Photos of your hubby are too funny!

28. Hilarious! what a good man. beautiful work!

29. Barbara says:

I do know how you feel in some way. Two junkers shows that I had planned to sell at have been cancelled this year because of rain – downpouring rain. I had worked so hard as had others to not be able to attend. BUT, that does not deter me in anyway because I will be so excited when the next show comes around. I will be there with all my goods and have a good come rain (?) or shine. Would love to attend the Luckett’s show maybe next year. Keep smiling.

30. Congratulations Marian! I feel the same way with my business, a childrens boutique clothing consignment sale. I have a vision and I just want everyone to have a wonderful shopping experience, but I have tried to remember what someone said once about a wedding day as a bride and groom,:be sure to step back and enjoy the moments and watch your loved ones becoming family. It has helped me greatly to see the “baby” I have created and how other people are in fact enjoying my imperfections :-)

I hope to get to Lucketts next year. My inlaws live in your hood (York, PA) and I would love to take them to Lucketts. We would all be in heaven!

Blessings! Kari

31. Sounds like a fast & fun time! Thanks for sharing – love the pics

32. I had to chuckle and shake my head – a LOT – as I read this post because even though I’m not preparing for a big sale day like this, I am preparing for my son’s 3rd birthday party (well 1/2 birthday actually). See I go crazy with the planning and have ideas in my head of what it should look like. Then for his 1st birthday a big ice storm hit on New Year’s Eve (his birthday) so no one could make it. Then for his 2nd birthday illness hit everyone hard before the party. So we chose to do a 1/2 birthday. And now the party is Saturday and I’m stressing about how it will all look. But no one will notice because my son is this absolutely adorably cute little curly head 3 1/2 year old and seriously, don’t smiles matter the most? Not the cute table all decorated just right. Sigh……gotta remember that in the chaos, right?

33. Laughing out loud at the photos of your husband. Too funny and I can see how he helps add some of that balance you speak about. Looks like it was a great day and being so far away I love seeing the photos and hearing about how the weekend went. Because we are so far away, I felt a little closer to your sale by visiting one of your MMSMP dealers here in Ontario on Saturday and picking up my first MMSMP. Looking forward to trying it.

34. Cathy says:

Ohhhh! New reader here, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog about Lucketts, and getting ready for it! I am so glad it was such a success for you! I had never heard of Lucketts until just recently but feel I absolutely have to go next year! Looks like so much fun. Isn’t it great to have a husband with a sense of humor :)! Ha,ha,ha…Loved those pictures. I love that white chair, too! I think you were meant to keep it! Have a blessed day!

35. Yep, that’s my brother. Good stuff.

36. Sometimes the hardest thing to do is to let go of the expectations we put on ourselves. I was glad to see you realize that no one else noticed that your booth was not set up as you had planned. It looks like everyone enjoyed Lucketts this year. I am sure it will be just as amazing next time too.

37. Susie says:

This Susie loves you!

38. Ashley Chipps says:

Marian I love you! You are so inspiring to me. Just to let you know Lucketts 2012 I was pregnant and high risk at the time. Lucketts 2013, breastfeeding and 13 hours away. Lucketts 2014 IS MINE :) and I can not wait!

39. Kathy says:

Noticed your weight loss first thing; thought your hair was adorable; loved the pictures of your husband! You have to love a man with a great sense of humor (and cute too). Oh,and of course, I loved the pictures of all your items. That goes without saying.