vintage linens

Recently, I’ve been buying up some vintage European linens.  From France…

DSC_8801 (640x426)

DSC_8803 (424x640)

…Germany…

DSC_8804 (424x640)

DSC_8806 (424x640)

DSC_8808 (640x424)

…and I just got a shipment in from Hungary…

DSC_8810 (424x640)

I’m buying most of them for upholstery/slipcovering projects for pieces to sell at the Lucketts fair, some to sell as-is and a few to keep (like the monogram French sheet.)

DSC_8813 (424x640)

DSC_8814

I just love old textiles, especially linen and hemp.

I should be receiving another shipment this week and I will offer some for sale on my online shop, which doesn’t have anything in it at the moment.  Some of you may have noticed the “shop” tab at the top of my blog.  I have plans for that.  Since I’m not selling at Lucketts anymore, I am going to offer some things for sale online.  Small furniture pieces, antique finds, some handmade items, German glass glitter, as well as my t-shirts and autographed copies of my book.  I just need to get through the May fair before I can get that coordinated.  So, you’ll see items up for sale sometime in June.

MMS_Divider

I did awesome on my workout schedule and eating last week, but I’m in bed with a severe cold today.  So much of me wants to keep up my momentum, but I’m in no shape for kick boxing.  I’ll rest up and pick it back up again in a day or two.

Oh! And the winner of the$150 Pine Cone Hill giveaway is Stacey Morgan.  Enjoy!

Comments

1. Wow! That’s quite a beautiful bunch of linens! How lucky to find the MM monogram!

2. Oh gosh Marian! I love all your vintage linens and hope that you’re feeling a little better. I just started selling a few things online last month, and luckily I’ve sold a few items so far. I’m still trying to get a handle on the shipping costs!

3. LOVE THEM! Can’t wait to see what you have at the Lucketts fair this year! I have been stocking up on empire dressers! But I am with you…I cant plan on anything until after the Lucketts fair, so excited to have two booth spaces this year!!!

4. These linens are so beautiful! I love the grain sack style ones…gorgeous. :)

5. Andrea says:

I adore antiqued monogrammed linens!! Good for you on your exercise and eating plan! I just started Advocare today and am excited to get on track
    Too!

6. Oh I love these! I always say I’m more about color than neutrals, but these lovely natural wheat colors and whites make me second-guess myself. :) Get better soon!

7. Feel better soon! LOVE your vintage linens…especially the whites! Hugs, Kimberly

8. Patti G says:

I hope you feel better quickly!
    The weather hasn’t been much help at all.

I look forward to seeing items
    appear in your shop!
    Monogrammed linens would be
    blissful!

hugs,
    patti

9. Feel better soon Marian…so sorry you have a bad cold.

Those linens are devine! I look forward to seeing your shop in June!

10. Sounds and looks amazing! I have actually been searching for Hungarian grainsacks, but sooo pricey! My grandparents came over from Hungary in the early 1900s as children, so it would be so great to have something from their home country. Will be watching for your shop to become available!

11. Eliza says:

Oh, these linens are just gorgeous. I’ve bought a few for projects too, but I just haven’t been able to bring myself to take scissors to them. They’ve lasted so long in their original form that it seems a crime to cut them up for a decorating trend, but then again they look so nice as upholstery. Guilt and indecision are why mine remain draped over the furniture rather than on the furniture:)

12. Jane B says:

Sorry to hear you are under the weather. Good rest and sleep are the best medicine!

I love the vintage linen and have bought some recently at an antique country fair in Louisiana, totally smitten with it. Can’t wait to see what you do with yours and will check your store too,,

Hope you get to feeling better real soon.
    Jane B

13. Mmmm . . . love these! Its so fun to see them in big gorgeous stacks of linen beauty!!!

14. Monika says:

I am from Hungary. It makes me so proud to hear that Hungarian linen is so nice. I was just in Hungary with my girs but will look for it next time.

Katy,Texasl

15. Debbie b says:

love love the linens cannot wait until we can purchase them and all the awesome things you show us.

keep up the great work and awesome website!

16. Denise says:

Marion, when is the Luckett’s fair? I’m coming up that way from Georgia and hope, hope, hope the timing will coincide. Thank you…LOVE the linens!!

17. alison says:

Very pretty linens, good finds! I hope you feel better soon :) Keep up the good work on P90X, I know it’s tough but you are tough so you can do it! I’m like your little cheerleader over here….I’m trying ot keep myself accountalbe and motivated too!

18. Candy Thayer says:

Love the linens…and I so want to be Stacey Morgan!

19. Karen says:

Congrats to Stacey! The linens are lovely. Hope you feel better soon!

20. I hope you are feeling better very soon! These linens are so lovely, they make me think of all of those who have come before us. Lovingly ironing and folding them, tending to their nests. Congrats to Stacey too :)

xo, Tanya
    twelveOeight

21. I am a new fan to your site. Love all of your ideas and demos . I’m a artist that paints in pastels and love your clean look in decorating .i have been sewing up some linen pillows and painting some with different objects in acrylics .love old linens and furniture !

22. Nancy says:

I, too, love the old linens and have just acquired several grain sacks. Please share how you wash yours (temperature of water, detergent, softener, etc.) prior to working them into a decorating project. Thank you so much. Hope you feel better soon. I thank you for continued inspiration!

23. I love vintage linens too – especially the ones from Europe!

24. LOVE those white linens!!! That would make a GORGEOUS Euro sham, bed skirt and pillow slip covers along with just framing them!!
    Hope your better soon but I know how ran down you probably got while redoing that kitchen—it happened to me!! Take time to re-coop before that workout or you will have a relapse and have twice as hard time getting back on your feet.
    Blessings and hugs,

25. debbie says:

They are all absolutely beautiful. I have always loved linen ever since I was old enough to know anything about fabrics. I don’t really know about hemp – I will have to read up on it.

So excited you are going to sell some pieces – can’t wait.
    Take care

26. Take care of yourself Marian. Hope you are feeling better soon.

27. Marlene Meyer says:

Well, feel better – Sometime the body is saying rest!! Beautiful linens and the MM would work for me!!!!

28. I Love the French sheets !!! I use those on my bed!! They sure are nice!!

29. Dave and I had such great times traveling and I’d buy textiles, linens, vintage peasant clothing, knitting and spinning tools from Hungary, Romania, Ukraine, Serbia and other eastern European countries. So much fun, so many great memories and now, wonderful reminders. Your post brought some of that home, again, for me; thank you.

30. Beautiful! Please let me know if/when you decide to sell the “MM” linens.

31. Lorretta from NH says:

Beautiful linens. Looking forward to your store. Feel better Marian.

32. Gorgeous, gorgeous linens Marian…I cannot wait for the bloggers trip to France…hopefully I can find some linens as beautiful as yours!!…

33. nancy says:

Beautiful linens! I am especially jealous that you were able to find monograms they fit.

34. nancy says:

I meant to say, “monograms that fit.”

35. Nancy says:

Wishing you a quick recovery and prosperity in your new online store. Can’t wait to see the items you will be selling!

36. Very nice linen’s. I find it fun to get such a large delivery of something I love and enjoy Bet you hare having fun with it.

37. unmitigated me says:

There is an ad on my local CL for a collection of wool upholstery weight fabric in midcentury designs at $15 or less per yard, and I am ssoooooo tempted.

38. *swoon* adore them!

39. Sandi @ pastelpaintercooks.blogspot.com says:

My DIL had a wonderful seamstress cover chairs and sofas with drop cloth material ,an idea we got from you , fantastic look,I’m doing it next with two antique wing back chairs.
    Feel better.

40. Rest! Get well and go back to the workout! Snuggle up to all those beautiful linens! Luxurious! Beautiful monogrammed linens are the one thing I bought in Italy the day I got lost at the flea market.. I was afraid but I held onto my pillowcases!

Feel better Marian and thanks for sharing your beautiful things with us.

Linda at The French Hens Nest

41. Just found you and enjoying this post about vintage linens. They are absolutely beautiful.

42. Talitha says:

Hope you are feeling better! Meant to comment on your blogs earlier, but maybe now you can use the encouragement even more! Just wanted to thank you for your honesty and willingness to share about struggles and hope as well. It makes it that much easier to identify. Thank you for being real! I just know you bless so many of us. Your new kitchen looks wonderful and I can’t believe the speed with which you accomplish things! Makes me wonder how much faster you’re even going to be at the end of your intense exercise program! :-) Hang in there, you can do this!

43. Pamela says:

I am in love with the monogramed sheets and you are so lucky to own them! Am so glad to see you are expanding your business!

44. Marian, I’m looking forward to the Lucketts Fair in May! Do you ever make slipcovers or reupholster as a part of your business? If not, is there a service you recommend?

45. OMG…I’ve been busy lately, but thought I’d kept up on all your blog entries…However, I totally missed that you weren’t selling at Luckett’s anymore…do you still have your paint there…you were so excited about the space and cabinetry you had for display and from the pix, it looked perfect!