First Painted Nightstand Reveal

Those who have missed my furniture makeovers lately are going to enjoy this post!  There’s a lot more furniture painting around with corner with the Lucketts Antique Market fast approaching, but one of my freelance articles was to show a specialty paint technique on a pair of nightstands.  Right up my alley!  And it just so happened I wanted to paint the nightstands in my master bedroom.

Here’s the “before” of the nightstand from my husband’s side…

DSC_8142 (424x640)

I bought it for $35 through a connection I made at a yard sale.  It’s not really a night stand, but it’s the perfect size for our bed, which is on the high side, and provides lots of storage.   I actually liked the piece as it was, but it looked a little orange in the room and blended with the floor a bit too much.

DSC_6823 (424x640)

Here’s how it looks now…

DSC_8268 (424x640)

As I often do, I left the top wood, though I stained and waxed it to deepen the color a bit.

DSC_8269 (424x640)

DSC_8271 (640x424)

DSC_8274 (424x640)

DSC_8277 (427x640)

DSC_8278 (480x640)

A detailed tutorial on how I achieved the finish will be available on HGTV.com in a few weeks.

Comments

1. Angie W says:

Can you put this on Pinterest? I love the hand painting you did and want to remember the pattern you used. Love it!

2. That looks awesome against your fabric wall! I have some of that fabric here to use as a flat piping detail on some pillows for a client. And I’m trying to talk a friend into using it for her new living room curtains!

3. This looks absolutely charming. My hubby’s 91 year old grandma has one almost just like this that she uses for a TV stand in a small bedroom converted to her TV room. I have my eye on it because I love the lines and details. Now you made me want it that much more!

4. Oh, I love it! Just in time, I have some nightstands in our Masterbedroom that I plan on painting. Looking forward to the tutorial!

5. Holly says:

Cute Cute Cute!!!

6. on ur nightstand makeover u mentioned that u just left the top natural and stained and waxed it. I am doing a kitchen table and want to leave the top that way but want it darker so do i have to rough it up b4 i put darker stain on it? it has a coat of varnish on it right now. HELP!!!!! thanks

7. Denise T says:

Gorgeous… I love two tone method…

8. Ok, Those are the cutest nightstands that were ever born! What an amazing paint job. I’m going to have to go to HGTV and check out the tutorial – do i just go there, and search for your name?

Cindy

9. Oh, YOU are just so good!!!! Keep inspiring us!

10. Linda S. in NE says:

It is amazing what those hands of yours can do. This piece turned out beautiful and I love the top left in the stained wood. One question, is the darker color of blue an undercoat, or did you blindfold yourself and then just casually walk by/and into the dresser with that color of paint on your brush? It sure looks like it’s ‘possed to be that way. Really nice work.

11. Gorgeous! Looks beautiful with your bedroom decor ~

12. Peggy huff says:

I have my Mother’s three drawer chest…the spitting image of
    your BARGAIN PURCHASE!!! I love it as it is, so I CRINGED
    when you wrote you PAINTING THIS LOVELY PIECE, but it
    has new life…sweet, refreshing and SWEET with your GLORIOUS
    NEW BED & WALL! Love it! But mine is staying ORIGINAL
    unless you come to Birch Bay Washington and offer to paint it!
    Everything you touch is transformed into beauty previously unveiled.
    You are my HERO!

13. Love the redo! I’m all about paint, use, paint again :) I haven’t tried chalk paint yet but I’m thkinking about it on my bedroom dressers too.

14. TRISH says:

Love it. You just really have a certain flair. Very appealing. Love your blog…it’s always full of inspiring ideas. I have some furniture I really want to paint now. Keep up all your hard work!

15. liane says:

Love, love, love it.

16. MaryS says:

With all the mentions of the tutorials on HGTV I’m wondering how we’ll be able to see them or know when/where to look. There’s a whole lot of great stuff I’m anticipating…. anxiously! :)

17. anonymous says:

I hate to be the bad guy here but I think the color of the nightstand matches the lamp too much and it becomes too busy with the wallpaper. Sorry.

• Clementine says:

I have to agree. You’ve done a beautiful painting job as always, but the naked wood looked much better in this space. It contrasted beautifully with the wall. I think some things are better left…dare I say…unpainted.

18. absolutely beautiful! love the layers of paint. i will have to look for this tutorial.

19. Pretty makeover Marian … handsome looking piece of furniture as it was, but more your style painted. You did a great job with the painted trim.
    Blessings,
    Audrey Z @ Timeless Treasures

20. Absolutely gorgeous! Can’t wait to see the tutorial!

21. Mary Borgsmiller says:

Love, love, love it. Although it looked pretty awesome before. I love the colors you combined! Can’t wait to see which ones you used. Thanks again forvsharingbyour talent!

22. Is that Grain Sack over French Enamel? It looks simply stunning!

23. Jeri Ray says:

OMG, that is soooo pretty!! good job :)

24. LOVE this! It is totally beautiful! I am hoping that this will be the year that I finally get around to decorating my master bedroom. It has been the “catch-all” room for too long! Life to the full, Melissa

25. I’m swooning over it.
    Oh my goodness, it is breath taking.

26. Night stand is beautiful but what can you tell me about the lamp? It is just gorgeous!

Thanks for the peek into your master bedroom, looks great.

27. Darrell says:

Very nice!

28. The pattern on the drawers makes the nightstand so much more charming.
    I was thinking of painting our dressers and nightstands once we are moved into our new house and using a hand painted or stenciled motif on the drawers. Now, people will say I copied the idea from you. :-)

29. It looks much better made over. Really fits with the style of your bedroom. Looks great against that beautiful wall paper.

30. Marlene says:

It’s just beautiful–You are blessed with talent!

31. Donna Bezanson says:

Awesome…wish I had your painting ability!! Maybe with the help of your tutorial I can learn! Thanks so much for sharing.

32. Sandi Cochran says:

Stunning as always. You are so talented. I love the lamp, too. Is that something I can purchase or another of your wonderful transformations?

33. Lovely work! It really compliments your bedroom. I have saved this to my Pinterest for future inspiration! Thanks for sharing.

34. Love it! How do we find your info on HGTV.com? Thanks!

35. Look forward to following this too!! Super excited to read more on your counter tops! Thank you for all the motivation you give me!!

36. love this and thank you now I have a idea for an old sewing stand….I have to say as much as I am loving all the things you are doing with in your home…It is fun to see your doing furniture paint jobs…because no one does some of what you do…to inspire us

37. Gorgeous!!!

38. Susan Edington says:

Is your tutorial available yet? I have a dresser and nightstand that I would like to possibly do in this finish!

39. I too have a small dresser that I would love the do up in that style. I’ll check out HGTV.com.

40. Melanie Nelson says:

Hey there! Lovely blog! I’ve enjoyed cruising through it. I am inspired by the finish and technique you used on this nightstand and the rest of the room looks beautiful as well. I was wondering, what is the name of the wallpaper and where can I buy it? Thanks for your time,
    Melanie

41. Ginger Marshall says:

Can you provide a link to the HGTV tutorial, I can’t seem to locate it, or maybe it’s too long ago to pull it up. If you can, Thanks!! -Ginger