chandeliers, boxwood, fluff & stuff

This post is a little blog buffet of a bit of this and that of my day.  Enjoy the randomness…

As I’ve mentioned the past few days, I have a lot of big projects coming up for freelance tutorials.  Some of those projects are tied to others.  (Remember the “decorating is like dominoes” thing?)  For example, two of the tutorials I’m making are on installing a plank ceiling and crown molding, so I’m going to remove the ceiling fan, move the junction box and hang the new chandelier as a part of that project.  So, today, I worked on getting the chandelier ready and while I was working on one chandelier, I might as well work on the other one, right?

This small chandelier above my vanity had sleeves that were too short and they were shiny plastic.  Two things that weren’t working for me.  I bought new candle sleeves that were the right size, but they were still shiny plastic.  So, I pulled out an old trick I used way back when my blog was just a little baby blog…  I used a glue gun to make “drips” on the candle sleeves…

…and then painted them with white satin spray paint.  The sleeves on the larger chandelier were black, so I spray painted all of those as well.

I threaded them onto a thin piece of wood, spray painted them and let them dry.

….much better.

Of course, I was holding the chandelier up in my room to get a visual.  (Or maybe I just can’t wait to see it hanging and holding it up was as good as I was going to get today.)

I also added some vintage crystals I bought off of e-Bay.  It was missing about 30 of them and I found some that were the perfect size and shape for a nice price.  I was short one wire connector, so I used some florist wire.  I doubt anyone will ever notice.

I also had to use a little packing tape and super glue to get a decorative arm back on.  A girl’s gotta do what a girl’s gotta do.  It really looks great, though.  Now I need to find white shades and make cord covers for both.

I also worked on my boxwood topiary and wreath tutorials….

This little one was just for me…

…the wreath was for the tutorial and I love how it turned out.  I decided to keep it a little bushy, so it’s not as nicely groomed as my store-bought ones.  It has a little attitude.

As a funny side note, I had the TV on while I was working on the topiaries and wreath.  It is a simple, repetitive project, so it was nice to have some entertainment.  My TV has some kind of sensor to make sure someone is watching it.  If it doesn’t sense any movement, it will shut off the picture.  I was sitting off to the side, so the sensor couldn’t see me.  This meant every 30 minutes or so, I had to get up and wave at my TV to let it know I was still there.  Really?!  I’m sure there’s some setting to change it, but I figured it was good exercise.

For those of you who have lived a long time with hardwood floors and wool rugs, this will not be a surprise to you.  I, however, am learning the true meaning of “dust bunny.”  Everything I thought was a dust bunny up to this point was just a little bit of fuzz.  I really could make a pet bunny with everything that’s floating around on my floor…

Yes.  That’s a picture of a dust bunny.  And I watermarked it.

Yeah, it’s a little annoying to have to vacuum daily, but I’m okay with it.  Some women walk around on 7″ high heels all day and think that the agony they are putting their feet through is worth it.  I am not one of those women.  I am a woman, though, who will have wool rugs that shed on dark hardwood floors and will chase tumbleweed-sized fluff around all day, because I think it’s worth it.

At some point the rugs have got to stop shedding, right?  There is not an indefinite amount of fibers woven into them and, as far as I know, wool does not reproduce…

See that pink chair and the fabric, trim and cording sitting on top?

Yeah.  I see it, too.  It’s staring at me as I type.

I wish the materials would just jump on the chair, right where I want it all to go.  Maybe if I leave the two sitting together like that long enough, some sort of magic will take place.  But then I won’t get to make my video tutorial series on upholstery that I’ve been promising to make.  So, if you’re waiting for that, just know that I have the chair waiting for me, the stuff sitting neatly on it, staring at me, and I’m just waiting for the day when I’m ready to do it.

Lastly, I moved my favorite antique alarm clock to my bedside table.  I don’t need a digital alarm clock anymore, because I just use my iPhone now, so now I can have a purely decorative alarm clock in its place.

There you have it.  Chandeliers, boxwood, fluff and stuff.

How was your day?

Comments

1. Laura says:

Love the boxwoods and can not wait for the chair redo!! I have one I just purchased and am very anxious to do something with :-)

2. Pat Bryans says:

I am new to blog and was just reading about the installing the plank ceiling tutorial……..will that appear on your website blog? I am enjoying your website…..great ideas and info.
    Thanks, Pat

3. Hi Marian,

My day was awesome … because it started with an interview with you!!! I was thrilled to have the chance to hear your tips for single women who want to decorate on a budget. There were a lot of gems in your nuggets of info. Can’t wait to write it up. I’m wondering if any of those 13 boxes UPS delivered contained some of the items you worked on today. The chandelier is yummy and done so creatively. You’re a genius.

4. Making candle drips with a glue gun is brilliant! Am I the last one to know about this trick?? I am anxious to hear/see you boxwood tutorial. Love boxwoods.

5. Denise T says:

Marian, the chandelier is so beautiful . The fabric is , too.. What a perfect timing for your freelance tutorials. Can’t wait to see the makeover. Thank you for the plethora of amazing posts and your time. Just wanting to make sure all the bloggers know that they are greatly appreciated.

6. What a lot of lovely things to look at! I am psyched about the tutorial on removing the ceiling fan because I am sick of the ceiling fan in my dining room and would love to replace it with a chandelier.

I believe that you and I have the same chandelier. Looks like it from the photos. I just had it rewired with a chain and plug because I want to be able to move it around. I need to put the crystals back on. I like it without the covers, however.

What a clever way to lengthen your the sleeves! I was totally impressed with the way you used super glue to make drips down the sides. Mine are the shiny plastic, so maybe I will make them look nicer someday down the road. (I am a slow fixer-upper.)

Looking forward to seeing the boxwood wreath tutorial, although I will have to order some boxwood since it doesn’t grow in Wyoming. (I do have a favorite florist who orders such things for me, when I need them.) I am interested in making the smaller wreaths.

All in all, a wonderful post!

Thank you!

7. How clever! I love the hot glue on the sleeves–it looks awesome! Oh my–I will be making a wreath! That wreath is BEAUTIFUL!! I may have to put up with the tedious job of doing that because it is too amazing! A little of this, a little of that, still a super blog post!

8. Loving the randomness of this post. Love your chandelier and that is such a good tip to add “dripping wax”. Love how your boxwood came out and can’t wait to see your chair. x

9. That’s funny, while you are putting up a vintage brass chandy, I am taking one down and selling it. Enjoy yours, I did mine, but it’s time to move on to other light fixtures…more French, and LARGER!

10. Yes, those wool rugs do stop shedding . . . I have had mine for 20 years and it has finally stopped. I know you probably didn’t want to hear that it will take almost 20 years for it to stop! :o) Now if I can just get our 3 dogs to stop shedding, hmm.

Love the boxwood wreath with attitude, right up my alley that wreath-tude is!!

Have a great week.

11. How do you make a dust bunny look pretty? Now that takes talent!!!

12. Gemika says:

So… Looks like you did upholster the chair?! I can’t wait for the tutorial as I have a great shaped incredibly ugly torn covered old armchair I wanna do up PRONTO! ;)

13. Frankie Laney says:

I hope I haven’t missed your tute on boxwood. Also, I must be the only person who has not heard about the hot glue candle drips! What a fab tip. Thanks and I love your site and blog.
    Frankie

14. Just wanted to let you know how much I love your blog and look forward to your posts! The wreath is gorgeous! Anxiously awaiting the tutorial so I can make my own.

Trying my hand at making a slipcover using your video tutorials. You are such an inspiration and a wealth of knowledge.

15. Marian, you are funny! Talking about your chairs caused a mental image of water and gizmo(gremlins, haha!), maybe your thinking about it WILL make it happen? Cannot wait for your tutorials, I have been putting off the boxwood projects here, and know you will inspire me to do it!

16. I am so looking forward to the boxwood tutorials! And it’s nice to know I’m not the only one who buys materials and then just stares at them willing my project to finish itself! Ha!

17. OMG, I’m still waiting almost 2 years later for my wool rug to stop shedding! I think it does reproduce, as we can rub our feet on it and bring up piles of fur! When my boys roll around with dark sweatpants, yikes!! Love the topiary, looking forwar to how too, and the candle drip thing is brilliant!

18. Hi Marian! I love your wreaths and topiaries. *sigh* I am moving more and more towards “natural”, but less of greenery that has to be maintained! I need to get a move on with finding more.
    Your chair gives me the perfect opportunity to ask: I saw a great chair similar to yours today for about $25. I think I can handle 80% of the upholstery, but the seat back and cushion make me nervous. Is it difficult? Should I hire it out? It’s got a really rounded, cushion seat back that is attached to the frame.
    great deal, but I don’t want to have it sitting forever either! ;)

Love your idea with your phone/ vintage alarm clock. I’m so doing that!!!

19. Lorretta from NH says:

You are just too funny. Enjoy that flooring and I know what you mean about the heals. My daughter loves her heals. She got married last summer and I actually tried hers on and I gotta tell ya I’d rather be taking care of floors to then get a nose bleed from the height.

20. I have hardwood floors throughout my house, and I battle dust bunnies too. I bought a small, powerful cordless vacuum and I pull it out almost daily. It’s easy (because it is cordless) and pretty quick to make a run through the house. It’s good for the hardwood and the area rugs.

Love your boxwood wreath!

21. Love the boxwood wreath and glad you left it a little loose (bushy). Looks more natural that way. Great job on the beautiful chandelier. You seem to get a lot done and it always looks great.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Audrey Z.
    Timeless Treasures

22. That is a great idea and you are so smart! Glue gun candle drips . . . huh. Love that you watermarked the photo of the dust bunny too. You are so funny. BTW, I was online looking for my nearest Milk Paint distributor today. It is a little bit of a drive but I can’t resist any longer. I’ve got to get over there to try it out. Thanks for sharing, Patti :)

23. Candle wax drips?
    Perfect.
    Boxwood wreaths?
    Yes, I leave my boxwood hedge unclipped for months just to make these. After they go yellow, spray with green paint and they look good as new.
    Upholstery tutorial?
    Yes, we’re waiting!

24. MaryS says:

I have all hardwood floors – not as pretty as your tho – and little doggie that “isn’t supposed to shed”… so I know all about dust bunnies. In this house we have dust monsters. But that’s ok..
    I just get out the dust mop which my doggie takes exception with and barks at it the whole time I’m using it to get rid of her dust bunnies. Isn’t life funny??

25. I like how not everything has to be perfect. That’s stuff is right up my alley!

26. LOL! LOve the fluff!!! I have NO RUGS in my house… just hardwood floors… and TWO dogs. A mini Collie, and a German Shepherd. I have tumbleweeds of fur… ANd yep, they will never stop shedding!
    I guess that’s my trade off for the high heels, LOL!
    I love the fake wax drops in the chandeliers, great idea!
    And I will be waiting for the Boxwood wreath tutorial, adorable!!!
    I am not sure if I am ready for the chair… you can wait a little longer lol!
    Hugs
    Claudine

27. I love that you keep it real…taping your chandelier, you just gotta love that!
    ~Pendra

28. Marian I too have used hot glue as drips on my chandelier sleeves.I did this years ago and was so happy to see that you did this too!So cool when creative minds think a alike.It just came to me one day when I was redoing some of my lights.But I had not thought of painting on top of the wax hmmmmm I may have to try that!
    So funny I can see you getting up and waving at your television.Where your children with you?If they were they were probably wondering why you kept waving at the television LOL!
    Oh yes dust bunnies.Honestly I never really knew what those were until I had wood floors.I really don’t get many of those now.Our kitchen and guest bath are the only two with wood right now.But when our whole house we had lots of those.But a swiffer sweeper and vacuum are great friends when you have wood floors :-) .BTW I love using tea to clean my wood floors.It gives them an amazing shine!
    xx
    Anne

29. Karen says:

My hardwood floors collect dust bunnies the size of Texas…on a daily basis. Wool rugs, 1 cat that sheds, and an older oil heating system that throws dust out of the vents are the culprits. The Swiffer mop sheets are a lifesaver as are these funny “dusting slippers” I got from Homegoods that my kids love to wear. They don’t even know that they’re dusting!!
    I’ll send you a photo of them of them. They are really pretty funny.

30. I would be ungrateful if I didn’t let you know….that because of you ….I finally did it. I just rented a space to open my own little “Creative” shop. A place for women to gather and create together! It will open in March
    Thanks you….I hope you know that the inspiration you share is a blessing in my life….and i thanked our Heavenly Father for your gift.
    Happy Day

Teresa

31. Monica says:

You are so creative and for mother’s day I will be asking for your book.

32. I love your posts–how do you do the things you do and manage to blog about them, too? I hate to blog and it takes forever to get my digital camera to take any photos that I would actually put on my web-site.If you don’t have an assistant or a genie in a bottle then you are truly Wonder Woman with an adorable pixie hair cut. I discovered your website by accident a few weeks before your Milk Paint demonstration in Cary, NC last year. So I was thrilled when I knew I would be able to meet you in person. You did not disappoint–as a matter of fact–you were real, genuine and down to earth (just like everyone says ). I just wanted to say that you are a real inspiration and I look forward to your continued successes. So, if its you, or a genie in bottle, who cares, just keep the blogs coming. You are a gift to us all!
    ~Alice

33. LOL..thank you! Yes, I still do it all myself. I have one person who manages my Milk Paint retailers, but otherwise I’m a one woman show. :)

34. Terrie from Atlanta, GAterr says:

Love the look of pretty chandy’s throughout the house, but the one place I just can’t bring myself to make the change is in my bedroom. Living in the deep South, there is nothing sweeter than a bit of a breeze stirring the air and keeping me from getting overheated throughout the night . . . am I the only one who still loves this old tradition? Plus, overhead lighting isn’t my really my thing ~ I just love the sparkles and romance a chandelier brings to a space.
    On another note: try your connections with either Oreck or Ace Hardware’s carpet cleaning machines for the new rug. My dad suggested it when I had part of my house recarpeted, and it was GENIUS! Either the extra-strong suction or steamy / soapy mixture loosened up all of the unglued wafts of wool. Decrease in bunnies and sneezing!
    Love the “pot pourri” post ~ xo

35. I absolutely love your blog and can’t wait for all the boxwood and the chair tutorial! Thanks for sharing!

36. Elisabeth says:

This might be a dumb question but is you boxwood greenery real? If so, how long does it last and look good?

• Yes, it’s real boxwood that’s been preserved. I’m not sure how long it will last, but I’ve had two wreaths for over a year and they still look as great as the day I got them!

37. I can’t wait for these tutorials, I just bought the planks for my bedroom ceiling. As for shedding rugs, I’ve had my wool rug for 5 years and still shedding!

38. That w brilliant idea on the wax drops in the chandelier bulb bases! I too have hardwood floors and lots of dust bunnies but ,mine are a lot of dog hair and we also live on gravel roads, so cleaning daily does take time. I have thought of felting the dog hair! LOL!
    The boxwood is beautiful, I love it! I saw your log on Thistle Cove Farm and now I am a new subscriber!
    Your blog is beautiful and looks like full of great tips! Thanks for sharing!
    Smiles, Cyndi

39. Sherill says:

Do you happen to know when the tutorial for the boxwood topiaries will be posted? Will you give all of us Miss Mustard Seeders a heads up?

40. Anna Maxson says:

Help! Did I miss the Boxwood wreath tutorial? I’ve been looking for it in the days since you posted this but haven’t been able to find it. Is it going to be on HGTV.com? I found an old shutter at a junk store which is crying out for a little boxwood wreath to be hung with it. I know you’ve been busy with your kitchen so don’t let me rush you! Just thought maybe I missed it somewhere.

Also, what do you use for the inside of the drawers of the dressers you refinish? Do you always paint them or do you ever line them with paper? I have a beautiful antique that I found for our daughter but the drawers are musty. I’ve cleaned them as best as I can but I’m concerned about the musty smell transferring to her clothes. I’d rather not paint the drawers (I don’t think I’ll paint the piece, it’s in really good shape and a beautiful wood) but I’m stumped with these drawers. Any thoughts?

41. Would love to know the name of the material for the chair u upholstered . Looked all day yesterday for material to cover my new drum shade for chandelier & couldn’t find one that really “wowed ” me. Thanks. Love keeping up with all your fun remodels & decor! Thanks for inspiring us.

42. MMS
    Do you have your tutorial for the boxwood wreaths online?