the wonders of hemp oil

I made a video tutorial on using Hemp Oil a few months ago (you can find that HERE.)  Yes, Hemp Oil is a great top coat for Milk Paint or other porous paints (flat latex, Chalk Paint, flat acrylic), but it’s also amazing at reviving and hydrating old wood and even metal.

I traded for this shirt counter when I was moving into my lobby space at Lucketts.  It was the perfect place to store and display my Milk Paint.  When I decided to leave my retail space there, I knew I was taking this piece home.  It is a special piece and, since I already owned it, I decided to keep it.

When I got it home, though, I realized how dry the wood was.  Well, I happen to have the perfect thing for that –  Hemp Oil!  Here’s what the counter looked like before…

Hemp Oil is very simple to use.  Just pour some onto a clean cotton cloth and rub it onto the piece.  You don’t have to worry about brush strokes or anything like that.  Just wipe it on and, since it’s all natural, it doesn’t have any strong smell.

I even rubbed it on the dull, rusted hardware…

…after about 15 minutes and a wicked hand cramp, here is the result…

I’ll let the Hemp Oil dry and will probably apply another coat, since this wood was very thirsty. Hemp Oil takes about 30 days to fully cure.  You can still use the piece during that time, but it might feel a little oily to the touch.  It not only brought the wood back to life, but it will protect it as well.  If the wood starts looking tired in a couple of years, I can just wipe on another coat.

I should say that this works best on a piece with a worn finish or without a finish.  It’s not going to hydrate a piece with a rock-hard coat of poly on it.

I am loving this piece in my office.  It offers so much storage and isn’t as imposing as those huge armoires I was using.  I only have about a third of the drawers full.

The office is really coming along.  I got rid of at least 50% of the stuff I was storing for “some day.”  A sweet girl who reads my blog came to pick up everything I was getting rid of today.  She got a good deal, but was saving me a trip to the thrift store.  Also, so many people helped me as I started my business and I love the idea of passing that along to others.  (Mental note: wear makeup when a blog reader comes to the house to pick something up.  She may ask to take a picture of you and you won’t want to sound shallow when you ask to go put on mascara, so you’ll agree to take a picture fresh-faced and in sweats and hope that picture doesn’t go viral.)

Anyway, I have the big pieces in place, but I still need to find a work table.  Here are a couple of previews…

Hemp Oil is available at a Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint Retailer near you.  We’re adding new ones all the time including retailers in the UK, Belgium, Alaska and Bermuda!

I think I need to teach a workshop in Belgium.   I’m just dreaming, here…

Comments

1. I first used the hemp oil at the class Jennilyn taught on your paint. It’s amazing!! I really hate waxing so I’m a big fan of the oil;)

2. Congratulations on getting rid of the stuff you needed to! Okay I am going to ask you a question… really I am looking at doing some brain storming and looking to anyone who I think will have some good ideas. I am trying to incorporate a craft area into a living space. any suggestions? I will be happy to provide you with more details… :)

Once again congratulations on all of the hard work and the progress in your room!! (love hemp oil and am glad to know i can order it from you!!)

• Miss Mustard Seed says:

If I was going to do that, I would look for an armoire, wardrobe or cabinet I could use to store everything and would then have a table and chair I could use as a work surface. The table can be multi-purpose, so it doesn’t always have to be a work table. You could also look for a secretary style desk and use a closet for extra storage.

• beverlee says:

I do that. I have a child’s armoire that I use and am still working with putting shelves in it, but it works for me. And I am one of those ladies who used to keep everything…’just in case’ I no longer do that. Now, I have things I really use, things I rely on instead of the ‘in case’…I have had to pare down, but it works. I am a decorative painter, and don’t keep my paint there, but other things. I have a set of drawers that I put things in that I am going to be doing, and when I am done, the drawer should be empty, and if it isn’t it gets re arranged. I use my kitchen table, but we eat on tv trays, so that isn’t an issue. I also use big pieces of posterboard on my table. And, when I am done, I store it behind the armoire. It doesn’t look too hot, but it’s functional, and when it’s too bad, I will replace it. The cost is minimal, is sturdy enough to hold up to hot glue, paint, etc.
      It also forces me to be tidy, which I love. I don’t care if people come in my home and see an unfinished painting, but I care if there is a big mess.. Good luck, it is doable!

3. Judith says:

Ooh, and Sweden! Come teach a workshop in Sweden!

4. Krystal says:

Is all hemp oil the same? Is the type you put on furniture the same as what you find in the health section?

5. I love your hemp oil. I’ve used it on a few pieces and it has worked great! Love how it revived your piece :)

6. I love the hemp oil so much! I’m always amazed how beautiful wood looks after using it. That cabinet is going to be great for storing things in your office…it’s gorgeous. I saw on Traer’s blog that she stopped by and picked up the craft supplies. She is so incredibly talented and super sweet! We were neighbors at the Luckett’s fair last May and was so glad to have met her and we’ve kept in touch since.

7. Carina says:

Yes, Sweden sounds much better than Belgium! :))

8. I’ve got a great brother and sister-in-law in Switzerland if you ever head there!

9. I received my paints and hemp oil today. So excited and can’t wait to start selling and introducing eastern Ohio and western Pa to the products. Thank you for such a fine line. Carolyn

10. SuZeQ says:

Miss Mustard Seed – you are a doll. I received the Merry Christmas Banner that I won on yur blog. Lucketts Store (Emily) contacted me a week or so ago and today it arrived. It is much much nicer in person than it is in the pictures. Thank you for being part of this. I know my daugher will treasure it forever.

11. I have to ask Do you miss the creative side of finding a piece and making it pretty for someone home…OK no more fun with those two little boys…is more precious and they do grow fast….when you think my baby boy is the one that gave me my precious grandchildren and it does seem like just yesterday

• Miss Mustard Seed says:

I am still going to do furniture to sell. I’m just taking some time to work on my house and some other things. Soon I’ll start the marathon to get ready for the Lucketts fair!

12. I had no idea that hemp oil even existed, Thanks for sharing!

13. Brenda says:

I,m thinking Burmuda would be a great place for a workshop, perhaps on the beach, under a palm tree! I’ve not tried Hemp oil yet but it sounds promising. Would this work on old baskets? I read somewhere that you should soak them in water to keep them from drying out. Is this true? Thanks! By the way if you need someone to carry your brushes in Bermuda….?

• I wouldn’t try hemp oil on antique baskets. It would change the color and the value. But twenty year old baskets might be worth a try. Just dip them in water about once a year. No soaking, that could alter their shape. They could also be vacuumed. Ann

14. I’ve been dying to try hemp oil on something. The after picture looks great!

15. I have a question about the hemp oil. My workspace where I paint furniture is in my laundry/ mud room. Would dust or lint become permanently stuck since it takes so long to cure?
    Love reading your blog and I’m glad you can devote more time to it now that you have lightened your workload.

16. No, having used the hemp oil, it’s not sticky at all, so using it the laundry room should be OK.

17. Dreaming is a good thing. Look where it’s gotten you! I love the hemp oil and have used it on several pieces including my 100 year old factory cart/coffee table.

18. Gorgeous. I’m kinda where you were several years ago. I just recently got to a point where I am discovering who I am and the whole home decor and diy is a huge part of that. I know my style, but I’m having a hard time finding a color scheme and fabric that fits me. Anyway, I love that piece and the hemp oil is amazing.

19. Carolyn says:

How do you get that old smell out of old pieces?

• Yes, I’m wondering about that as well. Some old wood furniture does not smell good. Thank you !

20. Thanks for the tip. You are so cute!

21. Ok Marian, I think you started a discussion about what the coolest European country is! ;-) I like your dream btw, I actually share it!!!

22. Marian, this is great information for everyone about using hemp oil, I love it, so easy to use and beautiful !

23. Caroline says:

I received my paints and Hemp Oil today – super fast international delivery!!! I can’t wait to get started, and to introduce others to your fabulous paints. Perhaps you need to add New Zealand to your list of places to visit/teach at? We’d LOVE to have you here.

24. Would it work on kitchen cabinets?? Love the vintage shoe cart. I so want one and I keep looking!!!

• Miss Mustard Seed says:

Yes, as long as the finish is worn away enough that the oil can soak into the wood. It’s natural oil, so it certainly won’t hurt them!

25. Dianne says:

I just wanted to let you know that I am loving your book. Very inspiring. I had trouble ordering from your publisher, so went through Amazon and it worked great. I want to order several more for girls in the family.

26. helen says:

hi Marian, do you think Hemp Oil would help this situation? we were flooded by hurricane Sandy, we saved some real wood furniture and there is no sign of mold anywhere, but its 3 months later and the wood furniture we did save was squished into the kitchen, while the walls were ripped out and the floors ripped up, and replaced. Dust is an understatement, they are barely visible under the layer of dirt and dust. i have been looking for something to clean the wood…do you think i could wipe the wood down and rub hemp oil in? would i get them back to decent appearance? thanks in advance
    Helen

• helen says:

thanks so much, for the email suggesting hemp oil and vinegar. I’ll definitely try that
      (i may even remember to take a before and after pic)

27. Marian, I love the piece you brought home from Lucketts! Thanks for the tip on the hemp oil. The paneling in my family room is pretty thirsty. I may just bathe it in some hemp oil. Glad it doesn’t have a smell. I’ve used oil on a trunk in my guest room in the past and the smell took forever to go away. Happy Weekend!

28. Stephanie Farrell says:

Firstly, I am loving this blog (which I came to through Pinterest)!
    I am about to start an Interior Design course which is a total change in direction from my career to date and I’m so inspired by what I’ve seen here to try some furniture updates (especially after reading your post on the Houston visit) Two quick questions though, you mention above you have stockists in the UK, is this just for Hemp Oil or also Milk Paint and are there any stockists in Ireland (either Northern Ireland or the Republic)? Thanks!

29. Memory is a poor servant so…was it here I read about using 3 parts vinegar to 1 part oil to feed wood? If so, which do you prefer…the vinegar/oil mix or hemp oil? Why?

30. Lorna says:

Great info about the hemp oil. Quick question. Could you use it to revive old pine pieces that have been waxed? One piece was waxed over 10 years ago and the other about 1 year.

Love the transformation of your house. Absolutely gorgeous!

31. I recently painted a raw pine console table my husband built in flow blue. I took about 3-4 coats to get it to the level of opacity I was looking for. I absolutely love the color!

I also used 2 coats of hemp oil. However, I’m not really satisfied with the hemp oil finish – I think, over raw wood, it doesn’t act the same way as it would over a previously finished piece. It still feels “raw”.

So… my question is – could I poly over the hemp oil to give it a finished feel? Do I need to wait the 30 days for it to cure first? It has been about a week.

Thanks!

32. Hi, just bought some hemp oil to rub into a stripped summer kitchen. I can’t figure out how to open the container! Am I missing something? I took the cap off and there is a metal stopper that won’t come out.
    Thanks
    Lidia

33. Theresa says:

Can I use hemp oil on outdoor furniture? The wood is rather rough and sun-bleached.

34. Theresa says:

A follow up question to my first one…If I use hemp oil on outdoor furniture, should I then wait 30 days for it to fully cure before putting on a top coat of Tung oil or outdoor poly?

35. Katie says:

Is hemp oil similar to tung oil in that it is very thick? If so, do you thin it with mineral spirits when you are doing large pieces? I just finished a piece with tung oil (not thinned) and had some problems with streaking.