my new bed

You know me.  Almost all of the furniture and accessories I buy for my home, I buy used.  (The only exception I make is for a sofa and mattresses.) It’s almost always cheaper and the quality is almost always better.  I also just like buying used.  The pieces have more “soul” and character.  If I have money burning a hole in my pocket, I go to the antique mall.  I don’t think I’ve set foot to shop in a real mall for over a year.  Any time I do go to a real mall (usually for a youth trip), I make a point to wander into Restoration Hardware.  A lot of their furniture and accessories are a bit masculine for my taste, but I love the classic quality of their designs.  In my mind, they are tops when it comes to beautiful neutrals.  I never bought anything from them, but I always walked out with a armful of catalogs for inspiration.

For years, I have had my eye on this bed…

source

…at over $1600, it was always too pricey and buying a bed was never a high priority.  So, I have spent at least 3-4 years scouring Craig’s List, antique stores, flea markets, fairs, thrift stores and E-bay to try to find a cheap, vintage-looking, French, queen-sized bed.  No luck.  I’d find a beautiful French bed with a curved foot board for $100, but it was a full-sized frame.  I’d find a queen bed for $100, but it wasn’t French.  I’d find a French-style queen headboard, but it didn’t have the frame or foot board.  I’d find a vintage, French, queen-sized bed, but it was the wrong style or was way out of my budget.  You get the idea.

I finally came to the conclusion that if I wanted what I wanted, I was going to have to be patient and wait for it.  So, that’s what I did.

The time has now come to replace our slouchy 10 year old mattress with a comfy higher quality mattress…and with it, I’m getting my bed.  The bed that always caught my eye.  Eeeeeeeee!  It is now on final clearance with an additional 10% off the clearance price.  It was still a splurge for me, but I’m selling other things to offset the cost.  The mattress and box spring were delivered yesterday and are hanging out on the floor until the bed frame arrives in a few weeks.

I will say, though, I don’t think I’ll be doing a lot of shopping for new furniture.  There’s no hunting, hauling, refinishing and repainting involved.  Where’s the fun in that?!  One reason I love this bed, though, is that it’s solid wood, so I can paint it, and I can reupholster it anytime I want a change.  That’s my kind of new piece of furniture!  We’ll see how long it stays as Restoration Hardware intended…

Does anyone want to make a wager?

See you tonight for Furniture Feature Friday.  Get ready to share your favorite furniture finds and makeovers of 2012.  It goes live a 10:00 pm EST.

PS – This is not a paid or sponsored post.

Comments

1. That bed is fabulous. I have a feeling it will get Mustard Seeded very soon! Can’t wait to see it as is in your space and when you decide to change it up. x

2. That bed is gorgeous. I am só jealous. My Aunt hás a beautiful 1930′s bedroom set that I have coveted for a while now. She was trying to sell it and I wanted to buy it, but unfornately had no place for it since it was a double and couldn’t see my husband and I going to a smaller bed. Well like you I will be patient, but that bed is so beautiful. Good things come to those who wait, patience is always a virtue.

• I have two double beds. With the addition of a little hardware, they are now equipped with queen-size mattresses and box springs. Patience? IMO, she who waits gets too old to care.
      I had a king size bed once, and it was too big a stretch to reach my handsome husband…..so queen-size for me….LOL.

3. Congratulations on your beautiful new bed, Marian!!!!
    I think it is totally FINE to buy something you have wanted for so long!!!!
    You deserve it!!!!
    I am sure you are going to LOVE it as it is for a while!!! The design is timeless!
    You will probably starting changing other things around the bedroom, though!
    That’s what we do, LOL!
    Have fun!

4. Beautiful bed ,,,,my sweetie and I are sleeping on two twins pushed together and one is two inches(mine) lower than the other,,,,but the sweetie has promised to build me a headboard I saw that was way expensive….and then we will get a mattress set….so I guess patience is definitely a virtue

5. lol….I give it less than a year before it’s changed in some way. I’ve been shocked at what you’re selling when I remember reading about how long you’d been looking for it, wanting it, etc.

LOVE the bed though. I managed to find the EXACT bed I wanted from Thomasville (also over $1500) on CL…I could hardly believe it! It’s now in our bedroom after (at the time) 12 years of ONLY a metal frame.

6. Don’t hate me, but I see stuff like like this a ton in Seattle Craigslist! And I agree ~ it’s beautiful!!! I finally had to set limits on searches, because you can almost always find something around here. It’s going to be a year of great sleep for you! :-)

7. KATHY says:

Love the bed but KNOW you will make it your own! Can’t wait to see what you do.

8. I can relate so much to this post! Haven’t found my dream bed yet though… this gives me hope, though, and encouragement to keep waiting!

9. Beautiful bed Marian … so happy that you have found the perfect bed and been able to finally get it. You will have a lot of fun redecorating your bedroom around it. Anxious to see what you do.
    Blessings in 2013.
    Audrey Z.
    Timeless Treasures

10. I can so relate! I’ve had a hand on everything in my home, as well, with the exception of my sofa. I much prefer thrift stores to retail. And I too get weak in the knees when I’m browsing Restoration Hardware. Your bed is so pretty. I’m glad you decided to buy it instead of compromising. You’ve worked hard and accomplished so much. You deserve it!

11. Sarah says:

You know, it is ok to throw something new in with the old. Most of what I have is used, put together attractively, and carefully chosen, I might add. But, sometimes you need that item that just helps to make it all look better and fills the bill. If it just happens to be new and you have planned carefully why not? It is all about balance. No apologies. You will sleep great!

12. Enjoy your new bed, I think it is nice to get something new from time to time.

13. Sharon says:

Love the bed! I’m treating myself to my first ever beautiful headboard (Pottery Barn) and bed also. Still haven’t settled on mattress set. What did you discover in your search and what did you decide on? It’s pretty confusing out there!

• Miss Mustard Seed says:

The reviews were best for memory foam beds, so we went with a Tempur Pedic.

14. Nancy says:

You spend a third of you life in your bed. Well maybe you don’t because you couldn’t do everything you do with eight hours of sleep a night! Seriously though, it looks great and I know we will see a lot of changes in your bedroom soon. Congrats!

15. Carolyn Miller says:

Love the bed! And being on sale is a great incentive. I have a good friend who found the cutest headboard by the road for trash and she painted it so adorable. It has all the curves and is solid wood. I am also looking for the “perfect” headboard on m shoestring budget and know I will find it soon. Half the fun is the search!

Love your site; it is my daily inspiration (along with Jesus!)

16. It is so great how things work out! To get it on sale–love the bed! I have to say though, you have eyed THAT particular bed for years, so enjoy it as is for a good amount of time. I think at least a year or two! You have so many projects lined up to do, right?? So enjoy that beauty for what it is now! Sleep tight!

17. Janice Chiaffredo says:

You have had a whirlwind year and you deserve a good nights rest! You will love it!

18. That’s exciting! I saw this bed on Pinterest and thought it was gorgeous! I can’t wait to see it all fluffed up with blankets and pillows, and in your bedroom!

Cindy

19. I have yet to buy a NEW piece of furniture for my house and we’ve lived there almost two years now. We did buy a new mattress, but like you said – I don’t think I could buy a used one. Creepy kind of, right? Our couch is a hand-me-down as is the dining table and chairs, the sofa table that is being used as extra counter space in the kitchen and the bed set we just bought was bought used (about 30 years old) from my in-laws. It’s solid wood and in great shape! New stuff nowadays just doesn’t seem quality unless it’s over priced, to me anyway. So yay for a good sale! Now, if I did buy something new, I don’t think I could bring myself to paint it/renovate it. If I’m going to spend that much I better darn well like it just the way it is!!!

20. I’m so glad you made the splurge! When I was in college, I slept on mattresses with questionable pasts, hills and valleys. That’s one of the great things about getting older! I’m betting you won’t change the bed for a while, unless some little hands get on that beautiful fabric!

21. ruth de castro says:

marian! i love resotration hardware :) we got a salvaged wood entertainment center from them and also our dinning table and chairs. They are local for us (in marin) and their customer service is impecable. I had to get my dining table and the entertainment replaced since it was chipped in an area and also a piece was floating on the table. They replaced it with no problem. If you get on their mailing list, they also have friends and family twice a year sales-

Congrats on the new bed ;) i think thats an awesome investment, since you spend at least 1/2 of your life sleeping. I wish i could get a new one, but we spent so much on our ethan allen set two years ago that Im just going to work with the dark zebra wood.

22. the bed is beautiful, but I can’t wait to see how you make it fit into your room and all the extra interesting things you will do and add to the room to make it feel at home in it’s new place.

23. SWEET DREAMS :)

24. I love my bed! Hope you love yours as much. It is really gorgeous, happy sleeping!

25. I was just in World Market, and they have a really similar headboard. “Courtney”. Headboard only. It happens to be on sale right now, and can be seen on their website.

26. Hello Miss M, The bed is certainly worth waiting for, happy that you finally purchased it, sure that you are anxious to see it in your bedroom. Wishing you many good nites of sleep.
    We certainly appreciat all the traffic we get from you, would love for you to join us.
    Always,
    Jeannie
    of The French Hen’s Nest

27. Happy New Year!
    I am renovating my 1980′s house into a french farm house. This is a huge project and I usually design and make my sofas,tables etc. and find vintage too.
    When I buy new though I have bought many new pieces from Restoration Hardware… Bed,sofa, outdoor furniture and lots of pillows,linens and accessories. I love the quality of their line. A couple from Anthropology have snuck in!!!!
    You will love your new purchase!
    Sleep tight!