Shades of Blue

A few years ago, I read a design article that said you shouldn’t mix more than two shades of blue.

I’m such a rebel.

Comments

1. Kathryn says:

Ha, ha – yes, when I think of you, I think “rebel!” I say, can there ever be too much blue?

• Would you ever consider making the curtains you have as a custom order? Does your design service do this? I would just want to see a swatch in the light of the rooms before ordering.

2. Do you hear that knocking sound? That’s the Two Blue Rule police at your door. ;) I personally think
    you can add as many shades as you like. Same with patterns. As long as they are of the same color pallet they can be very interesting. Candice Olsen of HGTV is one of my fave. put together fabric guru’s.
    She always amazed me with the colors and patterns she made work in her designs.
    So! You go girl. There are too many shades of blue to let one go to waste.

Jake’s a Girl

3. LOVE it! I am too then, hence my blog name!

4. JessicaD says:

One of the most amazing rooms I’ve seen pictures of was in the Martha Stewart Living color edition. It was a green room and had a zillion shades of green in it. To die for gorg!

5. Donna says:

This post made me laugh, yeah you are a Rebel, and thank you!!!

6. sonny says:

your blues look just right together. I tried doing 2 blues and they looked awful..
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family

7. I disagree and you totally proved it….love all your blues! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

8. I’m lovin’ all that blue, I’m a rebel like you! Oh gosh, now I’m rhyming …

9. Erin @ The Impatient Gardener says:

I couldn’t disagree more! Your room proves it! Sarah Rachardson (my fave) did the living room in her cottage in at least 8 or 10 different blues and it inspired me to do the same (I’m still working in it.) I think that’s the beauty of blue, and to a lesser extent, green. All hues look great together. Try that with red. Ha!

10. angela says:

just got your book last night, love it.

11. Eileen says:

Hi, You mentioned on facebook that you will be in Raleigh at a book signing. Where and when?????

12. Rules are made to be broken. That’s my number one rule, lol! Isn’t it good to be a rebel? If we obeyed all the rules, the world would be a boring place. (Well, you know, within reason, not against the law!)

I have a little write-up about your milk paint today on my blog. I’d be honoured if you paid me a visit!

13. GLORIA TUTEN says:

YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Beautiful blues from MMS! What a ridiculous article that was.

15. Lovely
    My theory re mixing shades of same color, use 5 or more so my eye sees the common factor and not the “clash”

16. Denise T says:

I m a rebel like u . I agree with Gloria – u go girl

17. Anne Boykin says:

Dear MMS, You’re off the chain! Your pillows look so beautiful with your lovely drapes! You go girl is right! Hugs, Anne Boykin

18. Dianne says:

I love everything you do and especially the blues because I have a lot of blue myself in our home. I loved the picture of the cabinet with the silver pieces. Thanks for showing beautiful ways to display old silver. I’m going to take mine out and see what I can do. You have been a great inspiration to me to do some fun projects like milk paint an old chest of drawers, a drop leaf table and some very old curved windows. Thanks for the video too, it really helped.

Happy Thanksgiving, Wish I could come to Petaluma when you come out to California in December.

19. I think what makes it work so well is the amount of white/cream that you use to counter balance all of the blue. It does the perfect job of separating and balancing all while making it look cohesive. BEAUTIFUL!

20. Jennifer Hale says:

Hi, may I ask where you buy your burlap/ linen fabric with the blue stripes? I was in the area this week and stopped by Lucketts, everything was beautiful. Congratulations on your book.

21. Guess I’m a rebel, too; whoever said that must not really understand about loving the color blue!

22. Love all your blues. I’m such a blue girl too! Happy Thanksgiving today! x

23. Stephanie says:

Lovely…Where do you find the fabric, especially the gain sack fabric. I’ve seen in other posts you have recovered chairs etc. You have been such an inspiration. I look forward to reading your daily posts not only for the crafting ideas but also your faith that shines through your posts. Thank you.

24. It all looks beautiful!

25. Jan L says:

I am a huge fan of blue and I think your mixing of blue shades is very pleasing. I am enjoying reading (while drooling over) your book. I am so glad I found it at the bookstore in the “big city” last time I went. It will be a favorite for a long time!

26. Aren’t rules like that made to be broken? And, next year the new rule will likely have something to do with mixing several shades of blue.