from two to one

I don’t always get things right the first time when it comes to furniture makeovers.  I finished this piece, but it never sat right with me.  I didn’t like the hardware and the finish wasn’t my favorite.  I let it sit in my foyer for a few months until I decided to tackle it again.

The first thing that had to change was the hardware.  It’s not bad, but just not right for this piece.  I decided I wanted to go with knobs instead of pulls, so I needed to fill one of the holes.

If I pressed a bunch of wood filler into one of these holes, as I’ve done many times in the past, it would squirt out the back of the hole, as it has done many times in the past.  This time, I put my noodle and some Frog Tape to work and covered the back of the hole.  A little piece of Frog Tape on the back side of each hole I wanted to fill did the trick.  My youngest son actually “helped” me with this project, placing the tape pieces.  Aw.

You can see the tape covering the back of the hole I was filling.

I squirted in some wood filler and smoothed it with my finger.  I have found that it helps to overfill the hole, so it can then be sanded flush once the wood filler has dried.

I sanded the filled holes flush with a fine grit sanding sponge, removed the tape and then repainted the piece.

Oh, how I wish I had a picture of the finished piece to show, but I finished it the night before leaving for Raleigh and we dropped it off along the way. It was just one of those days. The kids are back in school tomorrow, though, and I’m ready to get back into the swing of things!

This is a sponsored post brought to you by Frog Tape. The opinions are completely my own based on my experience.

Comments

1. I just filled holes in a piece that I just finished. Good idea to use the tape on the back. The interesting thing is that I was going to go back today to do some touching up. My piece sold…so I guess I did an o.k. job. So I’ll use the idea with the tape on the one I am finishing tomorrow!

2. Well darn it! I was all excited to see the finished product….lol. Well thank you for the Frog Tape tip. I love Frog Tape. Won some in a blog giveaway a couple of years ago and I’ve used it ever since!

3. I love Frog Tape! It really is the best on the market!Are you planning on showing us the finished product? Please?

xo
    Andie

4. I can’t believe of all the millions of holes I’ve filled in drawers (all squishing out the back) I never thought of putting tape on the back side! Genius!

Blessings,
    Missy

5. Have you thought abot filling the holes with a small diameter dowel? I love your furniture makeovers, and your home inspires mine:>)

6. Monica in Littlestown says:

Did you repaint it the same color? I loved that piece – maybe one day I’ll stumble upon one at a yard sale!

7. It takes a bit of courage to go back and re.do a project. Bravo.

Fondly,

Glenda

ps. I just ordered your new book for a Christmas gift for one of my daughters. She will love it.

8. I don’t love it when the first attempt doesn’t give the results I want. But I do love to redo furniture so if I let it set for a bit I can pretend it’s a new project :)

9. GLORIA TUTEN says:

I FILL MY HOLES WITH A COMBINATION OF WOOD FILLER AND TOOTHPICKS SO THAT WHEN YOU INSTALL NEW HARDWARE THERE IS SOMEHTING THERE TO SCREW INTO.

10. i just received three samples of your paint and am anxious to try it. i have a question. if something is already painted, and i use milk paint on top of it, does it still flake off?

11. maureen says:

Marion
    What color or color combinations did you use?

12. Kathy says:

Am wondering if your milk paint would work on a shiny finish? I don’t think its solid wood, but maybe has like a plastic wood finish. Thanks.

• Kathy,

I am definately not an expert, but I just finished using miss mustard seed’s paint on a very shiny, very cheap wood-ish side table. It was a small black table that felt more plastic than wood:)- but I didn’t want to waste the paint on a nicer peice as I was trying the milk paint for the first time. Low and behold- it came out really great. It did not naturally chip much, but a light sanding in a few places gave it the weathered finish I was hoping for. The first coat was terrible looking and waterery on the shiny finish, but once I learned to let it dry and walk away before applying another coat- it started coming together. Hope this helps!

BTW- I have since used the paint on natural hardwood and I have to admit it is preferable to the shiny surface!

Amy

13. Lena Garner says:

What colors did you use to repaint?

14. Elena says:

I actually really like the way it looks in these pictures. Could you tell me what paint or wash you used? Thanks

• Goedele says:

I would like to know this too. It doesn’t look like milk paint to me.
      Btw your book arrived in Belgium last week. It’s beautiful and I love your writing! I finished it the same evening :-).

15. cathy says:

OMG-you are a such a tease-lol!

16. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the piece.

17. OMGosh… no after pic?! I feel so used! ;)

• But seriously… you need to have whomever bought that piece from you take a pic and post it. I am going to be incomplete until I see it! lol (No, really)

18. nanci says:

Could you tell us what color you ended up painting it? I like that you changed the hardware…it was too early american. Good tip on the tape!

19. omgosh no AFTER pic? the horror! LOL I’m sure it was beautiful. Maybe the customer will be gracious enough to email you a pic of her new beauty!

20. Kris Fisher says:

Really??????? No “after” shot? But, but, but……

21. Kathie says:

Did you put the casters on? Love the curves!

22. Gloria Crowther says:

I LOVE Frog Tape. I have used it for many projects, & it’s strong enough to handle the filler without breaking open to make a mess. I wish we had a photo of this finished, but knowing the caliber of your work, I know it looked GREAT.Keep on keepin’ on. You are a very busy, happy lady!

23. I have done the same thing too! I have a few projects that were painted and after living with it for awhile I needed to change it.Right now I am thinking my dining room hutch needs a redo.I painted it last winter.I guess I will be tacking that one again soon!
    xx
    Anne

24. PattyM says:

Doesn’t the Frog Tape pull the the wood filler out if you remove it? Or do you just leave it as a part of the drawer?
    You can also use a dowel as someone suggested and cut it flush with the drawer front. Or you can use a product made for this very purpose. I’m not sure what they are called other than “plugs. They are made of wood and look like little slices of a dowel. Our hardware store sells them in various sizes in packages of about 10-12. I have never tried them, but am thinking about using them on a dresser that I want to change the hardware on. I believe they are usually used in combination with wood putty.

25. I discovered your blog a few days ago and love getting your writing in my e-mail box every day. Well, almost every day. No pressure! :)
    Your blog is very informative about refinishing furniture and it’s beautifully written AND beautiful. Thank you for sharing!
    I too was looking forward to the “after” on this project.
    I love the old finish and would also like to hear more about that, looks like it was pickled?
    thank you!
    Joan

26. Barb Lewis says:

Another way to do it – stick a piece of dowel into the whole that is very tight. (push in from the front so the smooth end is on the finished side) Then break the dowel off on the inside and sand smooth. Easy peasy.

27. Marijo Bloecker says:

OMGosh! I was looking forward to the after! You must take a picture of everything right when you finish it so we all can see! I received your book in the mail today, I’ve read it cover to cover & am now reading it again! It’s so lovely! Thank you for sharing you’re beautiful home & your wisdom!
    I’m so glad I found your blog!

28. Lilli Hurst says:

No picture?!?!? Eeee gads!! Seriously?

29. I have GOT to get you to drop a piece like that in Chicago! I bet is was beautiful. I am so in love with my two bags of powder paint. Looking for more inspiration!

30. Heidi says:

You’re kidding… no photograph of the finished piece??? Now, this is being cruel with us… ;) How will you make amends for this, I wonder!? Have received three samples of MMS Milk paint just today :D! So looking forward to having a go with it, though I haven’t decided on the piece yet…
    Wishing you and your family a happy “Adventszeit” ;)
    Heidi

31. Lol! That is the best teaser EVER!!! I know that wasn’t your intent, but it is funny and proves yet again that you are human(not machine like we all sometimes think;)) Great tip about the tape and wood filler:)