I don’t always get things right the first time when it comes to furniture makeovers. I finished this piece, but it never sat right with me. I didn’t like the hardware and the finish wasn’t my favorite. I let it sit in my foyer for a few months until I decided to tackle it again.
The first thing that had to change was the hardware. It’s not bad, but just not right for this piece. I decided I wanted to go with knobs instead of pulls, so I needed to fill one of the holes.
If I pressed a bunch of wood filler into one of these holes, as I’ve done many times in the past, it would squirt out the back of the hole, as it has done many times in the past. This time, I put my noodle and some Frog Tape to work and covered the back of the hole. A little piece of Frog Tape on the back side of each hole I wanted to fill did the trick. My youngest son actually “helped” me with this project, placing the tape pieces. Aw.
You can see the tape covering the back of the hole I was filling.
I squirted in some wood filler and smoothed it with my finger. I have found that it helps to overfill the hole, so it can then be sanded flush once the wood filler has dried.
I sanded the filled holes flush with a fine grit sanding sponge, removed the tape and then repainted the piece.
Oh, how I wish I had a picture of the finished piece to show, but I finished it the night before leaving for Raleigh and we dropped it off along the way. It was just one of those days. The kids are back in school tomorrow, though, and I’m ready to get back into the swing of things!
This is a sponsored post brought to you by Frog Tape. The opinions are completely my own based on my experience.