Chalkboard Trophies

I often have trouble leaving things alone.  I like to tinker, tweak and put my stamp on things.  The latest case in point – these ceramic trophies I found on clearance at Target.

I spotted them a while ago and liked the shape, but they seemed off in white ceramic.  I guess others agreed with me, because they ended up with three clearance stickers piled one on top of the other.  I knew I could make them work, so I bought all of them.  I initially thought of silver leafing them, but I decided it would be fun (and a little less labor intensive) to spray them with chalkboard paint.

I’m often asked which brand of chalkboard paint I like and I actually like two brands.  I use the Krylon spray version and the Rustoleum that comes in a quart.  I’ve liked the result of both.

This project was going to be better sprayed, so I used the Krylon.  After two light coats, here’s the result…

I think they’re pretty fun and the classic trophy shape keeps them from being too quirky.

Let’s hope my version sells better than the Target version!

If you’re in the area, I’m going to be at CariLin Creations at Urban Vintage
(2001 Lincoln Way East, Chambersburg, PA) from 6:00 – 8:00 pm for a book signing.  CariLin is also a Milk Paint retailer, so I’ll be available to answer questions or point you towards the products that will be best for your next project.

Miss Mustard Seed Book Signing

Lastly, thank you to all who have served.

Happy Veteran’s Day!

Comments

1. What a great idea! That would be perfect container for planting paperwhites!

2. Rachel says:

I recently tried the Krylon spray chalkboard as well, but now I can’t get the chalk to write on it! Any tips?

3. Wow, Marian! I picked up one of those on clearance at Target, too. Now you’ve got me thinking….. :)

4. so fun!

5. Melissa McIntyre says:

I almost bought one of these last night at Target! I didn’t much like it either and thought I might paint it copper or bronze or something, but I had already found some candles I liked and my husband didn’t care for it so we left it on the shelf. :-) Yours is very cute, maybe I could persuade the husband with your picture LOL!

6. wow, I knew I should have bought them!

7. I agree with Rachel about the Krylon. I was wondering if I didn’t prime the surface properly or use enough coats? I tried it on some cheap balsam wood door hangers (which actually gave me the idea on the outside packaging), but the wood absorbed it like a sponge. I used about 3 coats and the chalk doesn’t erase from it. It’s just a blue mess now!

• Miss Mustard Seed says:

Yes, priming does help. Have you seasoned the chalk board by rubbing chalk along the entire surface and then erasing it? That’s an important step as well.

8. Another awesome makeover from Marian! Too cute :)

9. angela says:

love it, they will sell. i would buy 1 or 2 or 3.

10. what a great idea!

11. I saw those in Target and thought they were cute. However the clearance price wasn’t clearance enough for my budget right now. Can I just tell you they are fabulous and rich looking in chalkboard. I love them. I wish I had bought them now… Darn it!

12. Love the Trophy!

13. Shelly Windeknecht says:

So cute! You have such great ideas! Your book was great BTW! I read it cover to cover Friday night and purchased my own French provencial dining set yesterday to redo similar to yours. I’ve been in one of those funks that you mention in your book. After 6 years of renovating all of the structural stuff I just didn’t think I had it in me to tackle decorating too…but you’ve inspired me to press on. I hear alot of the ‘is this house ever going to be finished’ too. I’ll have to whip out your book and proudly tell them no…it’s my ‘love language.’. :). Best wishes on the book sales. I do plan to purchase a couple more as gifts this Christmas. Thanks for sharing your gifts with all of us! You’re truly talented!

14. I bouht your book, actually I bought 2, and I love it. I have just enough talent to be dangerous but I have trouble thinking outside the box. I can get a new hairstye, but cannot arrange my living room any way but the way it has been for 30 years….boring! I should be retiring but because of economy I can’t and now I put everything off for the time I can. You gave me a kick in the butt and i am getting excited about projects in my home again ….Thanks for the shove!
    Jeanne

15. Such a neat idea! I can’t wait to check out your book. Megan

16. Cynthia says:

OK, so I just have to ask….how much were they? I am re-working one of our rooms and this would fit perfectly!!!!

17. Nancy Lynn says:

I also bought a couple on clearance. Love this idea with the chalk paint.

18. Denise T says:

Yeah , it is ideal for paperwhites. It turns out to be GREAT , yet functional .

19. Oh. My. Goodness–I found those exact same containers (4.98, maybe?) and did the EXACT same thing!

20. Our wheels are always turning…cute re-usable trophy!

21. Great idea to do with something so economical. Thank you!

22. Hi, Marian!
    Great idea!!! So far I have not used spray chalkboard paint.
    I will try once I run out of the can I bought.
    Hugs,
    Claudine

23. JaneEllen says:

And Miss Mustard Seed does it again. Great save. I’d go to Target in Grand Junction, CO to see if they might have some of those trophies but I don’t have the green stuff to buy any anyway.
    So many times I’ve gone to Target looking for things I read about you bloggers finding there to find out they never had that item or don’t know what I’m talking about. Guess the buyers for the mid-west and east coast Targets must make better choices.
    I’ve yet to use the chalkboard paint but thought about making my own, came across a home-made recipe.
    So much to do with those trophies, love that your shared your idea. Happy Week Marian

24. I can’t leave things along either….this is one I haven’t thought of yet! Thanks for sharing your creativeness! :) ~Tammy

25. Karen says:

You are inspiring! I would not have thought to paint a ceramic item, but now that I see this, maybe I have some items that would work on….

26. My sister picked up some trophys from Target for me – I don’t have them yet since she lives in kansas and i live in Ohio! Not sure what I’m going to do with them – I think I only had her get one each of a couple sizes. Like what you have done with them!

27. Oh! I got those too! I bought several. Right now the cream is working in my room but I’m excited about the option of chalk board paint if I decide I need a change :-) YAY!! I didn’t realize that chalk board paint comes in a spary paint version – great tip!! Thank you for again inspiring me!! :-)

28. Janet Lawson says:

Love your version of the trophy..
    Have a BLAST at your book signing..
    I put it out there that I would like to receive your book as a Christmas present..

29. Sue Hoke says:

AWESOME IDEA AND SO SIMPLE!!!!THANKS FOR SHARING.

30. So cute and what a great way to have the look without the real thing.

31. That is just too cute for words. I love that you can write anything on it you want such as “Best Eater at Dinner” or “1st Place on Homework!” etc etc. I think I need to make a trip to Target to check their clearance aisle. LOL

32. I love the photo of Opa. He would be touched. Mom

• I thought that was your grandfather. They don’t wear those overseas caps anymore. What is the insignia below the US? Signal Corps? My dad was one of the last officers commissioned in the Horse Cavalry. If you can paint ceramic cups with chalkboard paint, what can you do with the millions of coffee mugs that are flooding the US?

• GloPalMass says:

I was reading through the comments to see if anyone asked who was in the picture… Thanks MMS’s Mom! <3

33. Hi Marian,
    I remember seeing the line that the trophies and thought that they were neat then. At $4.98, they’re really neat, especially with the paint. I’ve always wanted to win a trophy! Target’s smart to get rid of the things that aren’t selling. Sometimes though, when a designer does a line for Target, things look
    Ike mini versions of their original selves. Gues that’s one way to cut costs. Oh well, I have no time to shop Target like the good old’ days!
    Cheers!,
    Barbara

34. Kristen says:

Cute idea ! I saw them at Target and I usually love cream but I remember standing there thinking they needed something. Funny I never thought of paint. I’m a faithful MMS reader I should be ashamed :).

35. Oh my, that’s one of the cutest projects I’ve seen in a long time! Great inspiration for “thinking outside the box”.

36. Michelle H. says:

I like your redo because you can change the “winner” of the trophy anytime you want, like a kids bday or a family event….cool!

37. Hilarious! I just bought the same trophy for a baby nursery that I am decorating. There was only 1 left at my Target store. I guess the people of Murfreesboro, TN liked the white? But, I am with you, and plan on adding a coat of chalkboard spray paint. Did you also happen to notice the wooden cutting boards in the shape of America? I picked up one of those for the nursery as well. I couldn’t resist it for 75% off! It will also get a little chalkboard paint! Life to the full, Melissa

38. Michelle says:

Too funny, I just bought one a week or two ago and it’s been sitting in my garage until I figure out how to “fix it”… now I know just what I want to do. I was actually considering using your glitter glass, which would be pretty indeed, but I really like the idea of being able to change up the award! Example: Best Big Bro when the 5 year old is helpful with baby or whatever. (my kids are still young enough that they go for that type of reward, whew!) Random bit of info: our trophies from Target here in Utah are shaped a little different, the handles are sort of squared off instead of being elegant like yours. The base is a bit different too, but still nice. Maybe I’ll send you a pic when I’ve finished spraying mine down! Do you ever sand these types of things before priming and painting, or am I over-thinking this?

39. Miss Mustard Seed says:

Yes, I might keep a couple of these trophies for my boys. They’re really run. We had some that were shaped differently as well…each size had a different shape. I didn’t sand or prime, but just sprayed with two coats of spray paint.

• Michelle says:

Aw, dang! I am so sad that there weren’t more…I grabbed the last one on the shelf. I do adore the other sizes, especially the large and small with the more graceful arms. I called every target within a 30 mile radius of my home and they are all gone:( Thanks for the reply and tip. Oh, and I adore your book. I drank it in slowly. I wanted to gobble it all up in one big bite, but alas, the kids wouldn’t allow!

40. Danette says:

Seen them here recently with the greyhound…
    -and all three sizes here…
    I think Target is just clearancing them to make room for Nate’s decor stuff and the Christmas decor.

41. Hi, Marian

I was at the Fancy Flea in Lakeland, FL a couple of weeks ago and one of the vendors from Tampa/St. Petersburg’s, Fl had a huge display of your milk paints. She told me you are coming down to her store in February. Are you really coming down this way in February and are you holding an event at this store? I would love to come, if I can. Unfortunately, I couldn’t speak much to the owner much because she was busy with customers. Hoping you can give me some information.

Vanessa

42. did you buy this recently?

• Miss Mustard Seed says:

Yes, I just bought them last week and I’ve seen them at a few Targets in my area.

43. Mary Ruth says:

This is such a COOL idea! LOVE IT!

44. Simply desire to say your article is as astounding.

The clarity to your post is simply excellent and that i can assume you are a professional in
    this subject. Fine with your permission allow me to take hold of your feed to stay updated with forthcoming post.

Thanks 1,000,000 and please carry on the enjoyable