Say hello to “Boxwood”

It’s now time to introduce the 12th and final color in my line of milk paint.  Say hello to “Boxwood.”

Here’s what the piece looked like before…

My inspiration for the color was a boxwood bush (obviously.)

I love the rich, green color of the leaves…

…and it looks striking on a piece of furniture.  It’s a bold color, but very classic as well.

…and, I’m sure you noticed, the paint isn’t chipped or distressed at all.  I used the bonding agent on this piece for a super smooth finish.  I’ll post a video on how/when to use the bonding agent tomorrow.

Until then, here’s a sneak peek of the 1840′s hutch I couldn’t resist…

Comments

1. Angela says:

Nice to see something that isn’t distressed for a change! Love the green.

2. Kristen says:

I like that piece un-distressed as well!

3. Terryk says:

Can’t wait to see the video on the bonding agent. I have the paint but I am not sure I want the chippy look or the smooth finish like the dresser you featured. Maybe this will help me decide.

On another note, I got an email from Amazon that I will receive your new book early-October 16.

4. Colleen Q says:

Beautiful…..I ordered some paint from Lucketts and can’t wait to try it.

5. Oh how lovely! Bold but still so beautiful.
    Debbie :)

6. This is my favorite color of all the colors. Love love love the green! Can’t wait to try it out on an old dresser in the basement!

7. still haven’t decided which 4 colors to pick – for the Giveaway that I won – but i just thought of a PERFECT place to use Tricycle Red WITH bonding agent – I want to paint the inside of the closet in my dining room where we keep our dishes (because THIS old house doesn’t have any cabinets in the kitchen). I think it will look amazing!

8. I love clean, undistressed pieces! I’m wondering where you like to shop for your hardware? Any good online sources?

9. Trish Ford says:

I like it un-distressed too. I think my next piece – I not going to distressed it. Maybe that will be the new trend. Love the deep richness of the green.

10. nancy parsons says:

i think i like the green best of all! i’m going to have to use this color in my home. :)

11. I love this piece. I like it not being distressed too. It is a nice change. The color is fantastic!

Cynthia

12. This color is my absolute favorite in your line. I love any shade of green, but this one is especially beautiful. I am also happy to see something that is not distressed—especially since I love painted furniture but am not good at distressing!

13. Yeahhhhh, {or Yaaaa with a long a – does anyone know the correct way to spell this word??}. I love love LOVE this color. It’s may favorite and will go perfectly in my foyer. I’ve been waiting to see a color that I can use there and now I’ve found it. Now if I could just find a reasonable vintage dresser with good lines, that would be lovely. You’ve done it again, Marian.

• Terrie from Atlanta, Ga says:

Jeannie, I used to coach high school cheerleaders, and they would always write / spell the word “Yay!” on signs and banners. I found this spelling to be cute and youthful, just like them. ;) It certainly is phonetic, don’t you think?

14. angela says:

Why did you paint the top and not stain it and when you use the bonding agent can you lightly distress it? i love green so boxwood is my favorite.

15. Oh MY FAVORITE COLOR! This is gorgeous! I loved that you added the agent to show us the difference! And the old brass handles-swoon!

16. Rachel says:

I love it not distressed. Beautiful piece.

17. I love this color! Beautiful!

18. Denise T says:

I thought I already sent you a message . I must forgot to submit. Love this color. This is going to be on my list . Green is my favorite color.

19. Kimberly says:

Love it!!!!! Do you have a brown color yet?

20. this one is my favorite!!!! how can i order your paint? i live in Hawaii…

21. That is really a wonderful rich green! I’d love to know how you went about mixing the colors to get just the shade you wanted. Totally cool the way this milk paint has turned out!

22. yvonne says:

Love the color! I have a question….did you paint the wonderful cow painting………..I want it!

23. This is the color I’ve been looking for! Now all I need is a furniture piece to redo to use as a buffet in my dining room. Looking forward to the bonding agent video.

24. Kimberly says:

I *love* this colour! I had my living room done in these colours, with Pottery Barn’s embroidered ‘birdie’ pillows that they had last (and a few this year too!) spring. Ikea had soft woven throw blankets in this shade of green too, so I added those. I had my walls painted in my dining room this colour, and had distressed cream buffet/mirror and chairs, to keep it all light. It’s a beautiful colour, and I found the green always to be refreshing and calming, much like the blues I’ve had in the past (and have now!) in my home. I had no idea you could use your milk paint with a bonding agent and get a less antique-y look – I am going to have to try this now, because I just love it. I agree with another reader – you’ve done it again :)

25. Looks beautiful and it brings out the green the the bully’s eyes!

26. Oooooooo! This is a stunning color, as soon as I saw it, I knew, this is the one I’ve been looking for…I have a dresser at the end of my bed and for the past few years I went back n forth on what i should do…two tone? I like it, maybe, distressed cream? love it, but have that in mind for another piece in the same room and i have a lot of cream in there already, white? too harsh, yellow? eh, purple? I want color but I don’t know, sage? didn’t do anything for me, taupe? not oomfed by it…but i LOVE your color Boxwood, yep, that’s the color :D

………….<3 Co

27. Monica Relyea says:

Hello Boxwood!! Welcome ;)

28. Linda S. in NE says:

It amazes me how many of your comments have just been waiting for this “boxwood” color to come into their lives! It is a beautiful addition to your line. I, like many others noticed right away that the piece was so creamy/smooth looking. Very refreshing look.

29. Very pretty. I’ve been using Capulet Olive MyColor Paint inspired by Pantone to make home made chalk paint and it looks very similar to this color. It has been one of my favorite colors so far on furniture. Love how yours looks!

30. Terrie from Atlanta, Ga says:

I’ve always thought of myself as a “blue” girl, but Boxwood Green blows my socks off, Marian! It is absolutely beautiful, alone and with other colors (even your blue curtains and accessories). Love that the girlfriends are thinking walls and beyond . . . not just furniture for this perfect color. You Did It!

31. I could think of many words for this result but ‘ Stunning’ says it all. I hope you will post this delightful Boxwood to me in the UK. Please let me know. LOVE IT !!!

32. Gorgeous colour. Favourite! Sarah

33. Gorgeous green color, and I love the smooth finish. The dresser is a wonderful transformation, like always. And that hutch… oh lord. I can’t wait to see all of its awesomeness.

34. Just makes my heart go pitter pat!

35. Bonnie says:

Stunning! Beautiful piece and the color looks great on it!

36. Tami Spearman says:

Oh my!….all the colors are wonderful but this green is the BEST!!!

37. Ohh!! Love it!! Can’t wait to get a sample of it next month at Luckett’s!!!

38. Cathy says:

Marian, I’m wanting to display tureen lids on my dining room wall too. What do you use to hang yours? Thanks so much!!!

39. I love “Boxwood”! I think it’s my favorite so far! I painted my living room “Retro Avocado” which is a pretty rich green, so I’m already partial to green. I can’t wait to see what you do with the cabinet!

40. Theresa says:

I think this is my new favorite color and I have an unfinished table that this would look great on. Can’t wait for the tutorial and your book… any changes you’ll be coming to Florida for any book signings?

41. Cheryl Rybarczyk says:

I’ve been meaning to ask you this too (saw another comment asking the same) How do you hang your plates/tureen lids? I don’t see any plate hanger hardware in the pictures…
    Thanks!

42. I had a fabulous credenza almost that exact same shade made by Thomasville in the late 60s/early 70s. Such an easy to live with color! Great pick.

43. I think this is my favorite MMS color so far!

44. I am loving your site. Im in love now with Boxwood also. I can’t believe I havent seen this before. I am sooo going to redo some old chairs in my garage to go into my Booth555. I know they will be a hit.

Trackbacks

1. […] the colour of the wood and thought a chippy milk paint finish would do wonders on him (was thinking boxwood green!) But then I got to working on him and realized that parts of him were veneer and my whole idea of […]