Painting Baseboards

I am loving my new tile floors.  Sigh.

We did hire professionals to lay the tile properly, but we still had to do some of the finishing work ourselves.  I was glad to install new baseboards, so they would match the ones in the 1940′s part of the house.  They are simple pine boards.  Modern baseboards were installed in the kitchen, so they didn’t match.  This was a good opportunity to give some continuity to the trim work.  My husband cut and installed 6″ pine boards…

…and of course, the painting was left to me.  Now, some people  like to paint trim before it’s installed, but I almost always paint it after it’s installed.  I like to caulk and fill the holes and then paint.  There’s no wrong way to do it, that’s just my preference.  So, Frog Tape is my friend when I’m  painting trim.

It worked great on my tile, but I’ve also used it on wood and carpet as well.  Frog Tape does a great job at protecting the surface, but releases cleanly, so it won’t leave a sticky residue.

The result is a sharp paint line and beautiful baseboards.  Yay for Frog Tape!

This is a sponsored post brought to you by Frog Tape. The opinions are completely my own based on my experience.  I have used and loved Frog Tape for almost three years and am happy to spread the word about this great product.

Blog Squad Logo

Comments

1. I love, love frog tape…seriously the best stuff out there. I painted stripes in my laundry room recently without a single bleed-through. Painting baseboards and trim work are the worst for me! My husband and I replaced and/or painting every piece of molding in our old house and I swore I was never going to do it again. Not near as fun as furniture :)

I’ve been meaning to ask…I love chalkboard paint (who doesn’t?) and have a black and white vintage-inspired kitchen that I want to paint a chalkboard wall for notes and the kids to scribble on, but do you find that you’re always cleaning chalkboard dust off of the floor? I painted my pantry door in my old house this way and it was always messy.

• Mary Magno says:

I use a wet towel to erase the script, the chalk shoud wipe up nice and leave the board clean and black. Nothing left on the floor.

2. Your kitchen looks great! I love how the tile transformed the room! I like the chalkboard wall with spelling words jotted down too;)

3. Love your new tile and your entire kitchen is gorgeous!
    Leslie

4. Angela says:

I also used frog tape recently to paint baseboards. I was wowed!

5. I just used Frog tape for the first time when I did my Mom’s chalk paint fireplace makeover. It is the best stuff!

6. I’m not really a fan of tile but your tile has really changed my mind, it’s really lovely. The baseboards look great.

7. Frog tape kicks tushie! Love the new baseboards and the crisp white against the chalkboard wall. BTW – I think I asked on the other post, but which chalkboard paint did you end up using? I’ve finally sold my husband on the idea for part of our kitchen…now it’s finding the paint!

8. Vicki K says:

Recently I painted my fireplace mantel and used Frog Tape to tape off where the mantel meets the wall. I was a little nervous because due to our schedule I waited a week between the two coats of paint….with no problem! The Frog Tape came up easily with no damage to the walls!

9. I finally found something Frog Tape won’t stick to. My exercise ball. No, I wasn’t trying to paint stripes on it, just trying to tape over the plug so I don’t have to pump air in it every few days. But the Frog Tape works so much better on my painting projects than the blue tape did. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Love the stuff.

10. Kim Rimmer says:

Your kitchen is beautiful…I love everything about it:) Just curious about your baseboard paint…did you use oil base as well on the trim or do you opt for something different than what you used on your cupboards? Thanks!

11. I love that you used pine boards. They are so simple be give a give a lot of impact…I pinned this article for my future home! Thanks!

12. Your kitchen looks delicious…and yeap I am on board Frog….green tape too…..Yesterday getting paint and looking for some tape. The guy helping me said here is some of the blue…I spotted the Frog tape, He said Mamm(when did I become a Mamm,) this tape is cheaper…I said yes, but this green tape works the best, for clean crisp lines..a tighter fit, and comes off like a dream…He said he had never used…I sounded like I was a rep…..I bought my tape and pots of paint…and He picked up a roll and said he was getting off his shift…and had a bathroom he was going to finish. Said he hoped it worked as well as I said…
    Ok so maybe I did sound like a commercial….LOL

13. Your kitchen looks amazing. Love the tall baseboards. Go frog tape!

14. Looks beautiful! :)

15. love that you matched the baseboards to the rest of the house…….it’s in the details!

16. cool – love that chalkboard wall!

17. Christie says:

I have also used it myself and like it!

18. I just bought some frog tape. Ribbet. Ribbet.

19. Deanna says:

Getting ready to paint a bunch of trim in our house too-will remember to try Frog tape this time! Any chance you’d blog (or maybe have blogged?) your best pointers for caulking nail holes? Mine never turn out right and yours always do! What’s the trick??

20. Love frog tape. Have used it on a couple of projects and it works like magic.

21. Mary Beth says:

I never heard of Frog Tape until I saw it in this blog and a couple of others. I LOVE IT! It’s my GO TO TAPE.

22. Karen says:

Love your kitchen. I was wondering why you did not paint the baseboard before you installed it.

23. Susie says:

Have to agree on the Frog tape, I love everything painted on a regular
    Basis xx & have a willing to paint husband, we only use Frog paint

& how can anyone not love baseboards?

24. Stacey says:

Im thinking about painting my ugly kitchen back splash tile……….. Can I just use the bonding agent and paint away with my favorite MMS color?

25. Love seeing the spelling words on the wall! I love your new floor and baseboards. SO classic!

26. Dianne says:

Your kitchen looks wonderful! My husband and I just completed a remodel in our house and also installed new baseboards. I did paint the walls and the baseboards before installing but I still need to fill holes and caulk, then I will paint one more coat. I have been putting off the caulking. I am such a perfectionist and I hate working with it. Any caulking tips for me?