Milk Painted Wardrobe Reveal

Here it is…

This is the piece I’ve been walking you through as I paint and finish it.  You can check out the first post about painting it HERE and the second post about distressing and waxing it HERE.  I purchased this wardrobe from an antique furniture store and it was beautiful to begin with, but it felt very dark and heavy.  The wood was also not in the greatest condition, so I didn’t feel too bad about painting it.  This one is an oldie.  It was originally a wardrobe that would easily break down into flat parts, so it could be moved in the days before we had U-Hauls at the ready.  Someone glued/screwed it all together at some point, though.

This is the fireplace surround that was my inspiration for the finish…

Mary and her husband painted it in Tricycle, followed by Typewriter and lastly Shutter Gray.  I love the layering and how the distressing and the antique wax made this surround look authentically aged.  It’s just gorgeous.  (And speaking of gorgeous finishes…check out the corner of the table shown on the far left of the before picture!)

I used the same paint colors on my piece, except I added Grain Sack in the door and side panels.

You can just see hints of red and black in the distressing…

I kept the original hardware, but removed the back plates, which looked a bit too ornate for the piece in my opinion.

I really love how this piece turned out.

I hope walking you through the process of painting and finishing this wardrobe will make you a bit more comfortable with giving Milk Paint a try!

Comments

1. Nikki says:

Thank you!

2. I have a wardrobe I use as my painting storage in my studio and I began repainting it but the color just did not please me so I stopped until I got some inspiration. I do like this one and may have to give it a whirl soon. I will be back to check out all the posts on it. Thanks for the step by step, I know how much work that is.

3. It turned out wonderful! Beautiful work as always….you are a true artist!

4. angela says:

love it.

5. I love the colors coming through the distressing. I tried to find a copy of Woman’sDay magazine, November to read the article about you, but am having a problem locating a copy. Is it on the stands yet?

6. That piece looks beautiful!! I just ordered Luckett’s Green and can’t wait to get it. I’ll be using it on an antique desk.

7. It’s beautiful and simple all at the same time. Amazing. I agree about the hardware too. Wonderful!

8. I like! Have one bought @ garage sale $20.00 bucks. Hate to paint over the beautiful wood but we got to do what we do to save her.

9. Kristen says:

It looks beautiful !

10. I love the colors! It looks gorgeous!!!

11. It turned out beautifully.

12. Looks gorgeous! You may have mentioned this before, but I forget–sorry–when is your paint going to be available, or is it already?

13. Gorgeous! I’ll have to try that layering on different colors. It looks fantastic!

14. Robin says:

I turned out just beautiful. Thank you for sharing your technique. Always look forward to what you are working on next. Thank you for keeping me inspired.

15. It turned out wonderful!

16. Colleen says:

Love how it turned out. Great job!

17. I just love this piece Marian – you’ve truly worked your magic! I’m crazy about these colors.

Okay, I simply must tell you how much I adore your book. I ordered it recently and once it arrived late last week I have been poring over it ever since. I’ve read the entire book, and I must stay it is the most influential decorating book I have ever read!!!
    I collect far too many decorating books and magazines, so am very familiar with them all, but for the most part I get the inspiration from just their photos. Now your book…not only are your photos and projects a knockout, but you truly speak to us from your heart. I nearly exclaimed so many times out loud “yes, me too!!”. You talk about REAL life with small children and open up about the DIY failures along the way to beautifying your home (I’ve had so many of those!). Yours is such a genuine, relatable book, and I will treasure it always. The most important thing is to put our home life in perspective with our faith in God and love of our family, and you share a wonderful example of that. THANK YOU!!

– Susan

18. Pat C. says:

As always, you did an amazing job! It’s beautiful! xoxo

19. This is really lovely Marian! is it for sale? if so would you email me your asking price? This looks like exactly what I need to store my fabric stash in – and it’s already painted my favorite colors! AND I’d love the excuse to come to your area so I could pop in to Lucketts!

20. Hazel says:

Wow, love it–especially how the wood grain shows on the drawers. Finally pulled my milk paint out today(great day to paint outside)and mixed a little to try it, I confess I have been a little bit nervous about mixing, etc.Well, I am a milk paint CONVERT! Had so much fun and feel very confident now that I finally tried it. Marian, you’re right–you can feel when it is right…..don’t be afraid(like me) to try it– it’s pretty much fool proof. THANK YOU…hopefully can pick up your book soon. I am leading a workshop this weekend called, “Carpe Brushem”!!

21. Wow! This has to be one of my most favorite’s you’ve painted so far with milk paint.

Looks very early American primitive to me.

Oh, I ordered your book and can’t wait to read it! :)

Blessings to you,

Kat

22. be still my early american primitive furniture loving heart!
    you, dearie, are a genious!

23. Lorretta from NH says:

My oh my how beautiful! We have plans to remodel an armoire that was used as a patients coat closet in a neighborhood doctors home office some fifty odd years ago and now I know exactly what I want it to look like! Thank you Miss Mustard Seed!

24. I love this…Is this the same corner where your Bessie the cow usually hangs out….
    the color mix is so calming and gives this old gal a whole new life

25. Filled with imspiration, now can someone babysit my little people while I have a little coloring time?

26. It has turned out absolutely beautifully – I love the colours.

Dee at the Carlton

27. Johnda Drennan says:

I just recently purchased some of your paint from an Antique Mall in Houston, Tx. I have worked with chalk paint, every type that is available, I am not sure when to use the milk paint and when to use the chalk paint. I finished a lamp with the milk paint and love it and it waxes beautifully. I just did one color on the lamp and after seeing your piece I am wondering if you would usually use the milk paint when you want to layer colors. By the way I love your piece.

28. So pretty! I saw your paint at a store in my hometown this past weekend! I’ve been following along your journey here for awhile now, so I was excited for me and you to see it in person!

29. I would like to paint a table with black chalk paint. I want to leave the top the original wood finish. There are 6 chairs that I would like to paint as well. Can you trust the chalk paint and wax on something that people sit on. I am afraid that the wax or paint might come off on their clothes! Yikes!! Have you done anything with chairs and black chalk paint? Thanks for your help. I love your blog.

30. Miss Mustard Seed says:

Oh, yes. You can totally trust it. Just apply wax to protect the paint. Apply it in a thin coat and buff it after about 5-10 minutes.

31. Thanks for the inspiration on your blog. I have 7 of your different colours of milk paint – have only tried two so far on a small table – just to test it out. I love the adventure of painting and coming back to see how it reacts – where it chips and where it doesn’t. I do have a question about the waxes. I used both the antique wax and the clear – I was wondering if using the clear wax before the antiquing wax would help the antiquing wax move around better so that you can wipe it off more in some areas than others? I used the antiquing wax first and found that it got a bit darker than I intended – maybe I just got carried away! But it was fun!

32. Yes! Waxing tutorials are on my list next for the video tutorials. Use the clear furniture wax first to seal the paint. Then, when you apply the antique wax, it’ll move over the top and wipe off of the high points.

33. Is this wardrobe for sale? :)

34. niesamowite rzeczy robisz,wspaniale:)

35. Annie Vee says:

I would like to send you a picture of a piece of furniture I painted with MMS milk paint. How do I do this/

36. I really liked this post and decided to paint a wardrobe my husband built. First coat was Typewriter and then Tricyle. We loved how the bright red was toned down because of the black. We waxed it with some Annie Sloan wax. The wax gave it a nice shine. While waxing it we noticed some bad streaks of paint that we didnt see before we waxed it. My question is, can I add another coat of red over the wax? Will I have to add the bonding agent? I have looked all over the internet for this answer and can not find one. Thanks for your help!

37. Dear Marian,
    I read your blogs over and over, and finally decided to do my piece that is similar in size to this one in milk paint as apposed to ASCP.
    Did you add bonding agent to every coat of paint?
    I love the layered look and have been having some trouble with sanding on my pieces. Did the distressing come from sanding , if so , what grit did you use.
    Thanks for being there for me every day,
    Rob

38. Nicole says:

Simply beautiful!

39. karin says:

Its stunning!!!
    Karin

40. It’s gorgeous- love the color and the two tones together!

41. Love the combination! Gorgeous colors. I can see that I’m going to need to find a piece (or several) to try it on!

42. Lorie says:

It’s way past time for me to thank you. I made slipcovers for my sofa and chair, using drop cloths and your instructional video. I sewed a little bit before, but not enough to ever think I could make slipcovers with cording and skirting. It was much easier than i thought, and they turned out WAY better than I expected! I’ve also painted several pieces of furniture that were handing down to me, but always felt heavy and dark. They turned out so well that I’ve gotten a few requests! THANK YOU so very much!

Trackbacks

1. [...] waxing.  And the results were the same.  Loved it.  I can’t say enough good stuff about Miss Mustard Seed’s Milk Paint.  It is so much fun to use.  The colors are so rich and have such depth.  The antiquing wax and [...]