how to make glittery pine cones

This project is simple, but I was so happy with how beautiful and elegant these glittered pine cones turned out that I thought I would share a tutorial on how I made them.

I bought these over-sized pine cones from Hobby Lobby, but you can use freebies collected from your yard or an obliging neighbor.

Insert a small screw eye into the woody end of the pine cone.  I just twisted it in with my fingers, but you can use a drill or a small nail to create a pilot hole, if necessary.

I then applied some Elmer’s School Glue with a 1″ wash brush to the tips of the pine cone.  (I have no idea what those things are called and I actually Googled “anatomy of a pine cone” and still couldn’t find the proper name.)

For some crazy reason, I thought, “This must be what it’s like to paint a Moose’s toe nail.”  Weird.  And yes, I’m aware Moose have hooves.

I applied the glue heavier on top, so when sprinkled with glitter it references a snow-dusted pine cone.

I poured my glitter into a baking dish, so I could sprinkle the pine cone with glitter and catch all of the excess.  Once the glued areas were coated, I turned the pine cone to shake out all of the loose glitter.

One of the nice things about glass glitter is that it doesn’t cling and stick to everything like foil glitter does.  You can still end up with a sparkly house, but it vacuums up easily and you don’t end up with a piece of glitter embedded in your forehead that people are trying to scratch off two days later.

I think these would look great hanging in a Christmas tree, tucked in a wreath or hung from a chandelier.

I love projects like this…

Simple.  Pretty.  Cheap.  Done in under an hour.

Comments

1. I was JUST thinking about making these!!! I’ve never worked with glass glitter before..this may be a silly question but are the pieces sharp? I’m totally phobic about broken glass (and those “shards” that you find weeks later, scattered across the room from where the glass broke!)
    Thanks!
    Leah: )

2. Kristie says:

Love this…Now I need to find me some pinecones.

3. Tonya says:

I love this idea. Thanks for sharing. I saw at some point that you were selling containers of glass glitter. Do you still have some for sale? If so where do I purchase?

4. Yvetta says:

Did you use white or silver on these? Love this idea, I have lots of pinecones in the yard, always hate to throw them away, now I can glitter them:)

5. Melanie says:

Love the contrast of nature and glitter:) – I use to make loads of glittered pine cones for wreaths and garland at the greenhouse where I work. We would put Elmer’s glue onto a small cookie sheet and roll the pine cones through the glue, then sprinkle with glitter. i guess this would be a time saving approach if making a lot. Congratulations on your book and all your successes – you are very inspiring!

6. Melanie says:

Love the contrast of nature and glitter:) – I use to make loads of glittered pine cones for wreaths and garland at the greenhouse where I work. We would put Elmer’s glue onto a small cookie sheet and roll the pine cones through the glue, then sprinkle with glitter. i guess this would be a time saving approach if making a lot. Your photography is beautiful!

7. Sylvia says:

Beautiful. These are female cones (yes, there are male cones) and you have glittered the scales.

8. Julie K says:

The tip of the pine cone is an umbo.

9. Peggie says:

Where do you buy the glass glitter – from normal stores such as Michael’s or Hobby Lobby? Or is it a specialty item that has to be ordered? These are beautiful!

10. Cyndy says:

What color of glass glitter didn’t use?

11. I was thinking the same thing, about the glass glitter being sharp. How does that work exactly?

• Miss Mustard Seed says:

The shards are sharp, but not quite like broken glass. I’ve worked with it with my bare hands for years and have only been stuck a few times. You just have to be gentle as you’re working with it.

12. Julene Haworth says:

I love your blog!! I’ve been following (lurking) for some time now :) I see that several questions have been asked concerning where you buy glass glitter – I also have not been successful in finding it – help – please!

13. I LOVE them, and now i want some of the glass glitter even more than i wanted it before!!!

Cindy

14. I love your Moose toenails, err, I mean your pinecones. I think I’ll do some myself. You’ve inspired me. And I would probably never have thought of putting the screw eye in the top. Of course! What a great thought! Thanks.

15. Allie says:

These are beautiful! I just came back from Yosemite with a bunch of giant pine cones. My husband was not supportive because they were sharp and took up a lot of room in the van. Boy will he be impressed with these!!! They are gorgeous!

16. Roberta says:

Simple and Lovely. We gathered a bagfull of pinecones on our camping trip this summer, and I recently bought some glitter on clearance. Perfect! Thanks for sharing.

17. jean clark says:

i have now purchased all the glitter I will need to make the glittered pine cones…Only NOW I cannot locate a store that has the cones I will need. Will you be able to assist me? I looked up large pine cones at Hobby lobby and i don’t see that they have any to sell this year…Looking forward to having a beautiful new decoration soon…..
    thanks!

18. Hi, sorry for the commercial post, but I see that a number of people are asking where to find German Glass Glitter. We are proud to be working with Miss Mustard and are offering a free glittery goody kit with every order that mentions the Mustard Seed Blog.

19. jean clark says:

I’ve been trying to find my e-mail information from you…WHERE DO I GO TO ORDER THE LARGE PINECONES FOR THE PINE CONE PROJECT? ARE THEY 8 TO 12 INCH PINECONES? AND THE PRICE?
    THANKS, J. CLARK

20. Minnie says:

These are beautiful and your instructions are great. I’ll be making these for sure. Oh, they are called scales. Just to double check I verified with Wikipedia – look for conifer cones. Didn’t remember why I knew it but I did, there were a lot around where I grew up…Discovered your blog through Pinterest, it is really nice.

21. When I initially commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now
    each time a comment is added I get four emails with the same comment.

Is there any way you can remove people from that service?
    Appreciate it!

22. I am regular reader, how are you everybody? This
    paragraph posted at this website is genuinely nice.

23. I really like reading a post that can make men and women think.
    Also, thanks for permitting me to comment!streetdirectory (Antoine)

24. Its like you read my mind! You appear to know a lot about this, like you wrote the book in it or something.
    I think that you can do with a few pics to drive the message home a
    little bit, but instead of that, this is magnificent blog.
    A great read. I’ll definitely be back.

25. Preparing the meal together with your spouse can also be fun.
    Then you can dip them into liquid batter and fry them.
    In a casserole, bring to boil 2 cup of water with chicken feet, put fire into low
    and simmer 10 minute.

26. If the other seller makes a sale, then you will earn a commission.
    There are all types of clothing articles for boys as well as girls
    right online. They are inexpensive, easy to clean up and are good for painting large projects.
    However I would always advise that you don’t just hand over your whole look to someone else without having your own strong feelings.

27. It’s really a cool and useful piece of information.
    I am satisfied that you just shared this helpful info with us.
    Please stay us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

28. Absolutely glorious! Loved this – I’m hoping I still have pinecones in the garden ;)
    Thanks for sharing have a blessed weekend,
    Kathy

29. Many thanks. A lot of content.

30. Beneficial information, Thanks a lot.

Trackbacks

1. […] Toriejayne, Cfabbridesigns, Smallhomelove, Copy craft, Missmustardseed Share and Enjoy: These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and […]

2. […] spend money on extra decorations when you can make your own centerpieces? Take pinecones, lightly spruce with glitter, and place a couple in a clear or white […]

3. […] Glittery Pine Cones If you’ve got a garden full of pine cones – why not save yourself some money by making these 5 star Christmas ornaments? Via missmustardseed […]

4. […] along your table runner, and you’re done! Or if you’re up for a little more work, you can also jazz them up with some glitter. The décor possibilities with pine cones are […]

5. […] would work perfect.  Random Thoughts of a Super Mom does that here.  Miss Mustard Seed made some with glass glitter […]