{press}

If you’ve picked up a copy of the winter edition of Flea Market Style or the BHG Christmas Ideas magazine, you may have seen a familiar face…mine.  I will admit it’s been a lofty dream of mine to have my home photographed for a magazine.  I’ve had the honor of having my blog featured and I’ve been a contributor to Cottages & Bungalows Magazine for about a year and a half, but it’s not the same as having a professional photographer come in to take pictures of my space for a feature.  When I received the e-mail from the BHG editor, I cried.  It was going to happen.  My home was going to be photographed for a BHG special interest publication…the ones I’ve been splurging on at the checkout counter for so many years.  I never even dreamed that it would happen to me.  I’m not a “design insider” or whatever it is I thought you had to be to get your home featured.  I’m just me.  Living in my tiny Pennsylvania town.  Decorating my home with things I find at yard sales, thrift stores and antique shops.  But I did get the e-mail and last January a crew came to my house to photograph it for BHG.

I was so excited about it, but freaked out as well.  I was in the middle of working on my book.  I had just been contacted by a producer from the Nate Berkus Show who wanted to see video of my house without Christmas decor.  I was scrambling to finish my bathroom and almost every other room in my house, so it would be perfect for BHG.  I was even mulching my front garden on Christmas eve, so my yard wouldn’t be quite as embarrassing.  When three very ordinary and nice people showed up at my door and dropped off a room full of camera gear and lighting, I felt a little silly for the whole mulching-on-Christmas-eve thing.

It took most of the day to shoot my living room and dining room.  It’s amazing how meticulous they are when it comes to the details.  We spent a good amount of time fluffing greenery and positioning a pennant flag just right and making sure the birds on the chandelier weren’t swinging and arranging the pillows perfectly.  I expected they would come in and move everything around to make it look how they wanted, but I was pleasantly surprised (and a little flattered) when they left everything exactly where I put it.

It was also so fun watching a professional photographer at work.  He shot tethered, meaning his camera was connected to his computer, so he could assess each shot as he took it.  I restrained myself from digging through his gear bags and asking a million questions about lighting and lenses and editing software, but I did slip in a few questions and ran off to jot down the answers before I forgot.  It was a fun day and I couldn’t wait to do it again.  I didn’t have to wait long.

In March, a photographer for Flea Market Style magazine came out to photograph my work office.  You haven’t seen much of it, because we wanted it to be fresh for the magazine, but I’ll give you a tour soon.

This time, I knew I didn’t need to freak out about the rest of my house.  I just made sure things were perfect in the office and settled with having the rest presentable.  I felt calm knowing what to expect, but I was a little nervous about one thing.  They weren’t sending a stylist.  I was going to work with the photographer to style the shots.

It was a blast.

Helen, the photographer, and I worked so well together and I thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of it.

We probably got a little carried away on composing the opening desktop shot, but we were having such a great time with it that we couldn’t help ourselves.  It was very handy that my desk top comes off the base!  I have some stories about the makeover and I’ll definitely show you more of my office soon.  AND tell you about that rug!

Lastly, you can find my latest “DIY Essentials” column in the November issue of Cottages & Bungalows.  I show how to make this cute fabric banner…

And just in case you’re wondering…no.  I don’t think I’ll ever get used to seeing my name, my house, my work in a magazine.  I’m always going to run to the store to buy it, flip through it excitedly and resist the urge to show the cashier THIS IS ME!!!

Boy, I’m going to be a real maniac when my book comes out.

Comments

1. Congratulations! Ok. I’m adding these to my shopping list! Way to go and cracking me up about the mulching thing. I

2. susan allen says:

ur talent leaves all the rest of us in the dust u r amazing!!!!!

3. so happy for you!

4. Sheryl says:

oh, so GREAT!!! I picked up 2 Christmas magazines today, when I saw your posting I hoped one was the Better homes and SURE enough it was!!! I know now why love your blog. Oh, I must have missed some blogging about your book. Do refresh my mind?? PLEASE When will it come out?

• Miss Mustard Seed says:

The publish date is November 6, but you can preorder it on Amazon and B&N. It’s called “Inspired You.”

5. Diane says:

Congratulations!
    I’m so excited for you and will be looking for that BHG magazine for sure!

6. Very cool! congrats- I love BHG and will pick up this special interest publication!!

7. elaina says:

wowza! i honestly can’t imagine being pursued by magazines for my home…that would be more like fantasy~

8. Jerri C. TN says:

Awesome job! You so deserve the accolades.
    PS. Where did you get that “M” in your office…………..? I love it.

• Miss Mustard Seed says:

My friend, Barb Blair of Knack, gave it to me. She found a bunch when a mall was going out of business. I just cleaned it up and painted it.

9. Will make it a point to pick up those magazines tomorrow!! ALWAYS LOVE seeing your home and look forward to your blogs!! You are TRULY amazing!!

10. You are entitled to go crazy! This is so awesome, Marian. Congratulations and might I add, you totally deserve it. It’s one thing to have us blogger-types love you and be inspired by you, but crossing over into mainstream media is HUGE! You continue to inspire. Thank you so much!

11. Woo hoo!! Congratulations! That’s awesome!

12. Michelle J says:

I am so excited for you! I instantly bought both magazines when I flipped through and recognized the unmistakable Miss Mustard Seed style. I love your blog and am so challenged to keep projects simple and inexpensive yet beautiful and breathtaking. I also love that you share your faith. You deserve all the best and I am so excited to see what God has in store for you!

13. Rebecca Burlingham says:

Congratulations!

14. Linda / Inside Etc & Design says:

congrats! keep up the great work…..your are so inspiring
    my best to you. Linda

15. Lol! That’s so awesome!!! :)
    Can’t wait to get these magazines and your book whenever it comes out!

16. Congrats! So happy for your progress and ‘fame’!!

17. Teresa says:

Congratulations Marion! I am so happy for you. Your a very talented lady and your home is beautiful! Your an inspiration to us all!

18. Michelle says:

Wow!!! That green wall. I loooooove that pattern! Where did you get the stencil from…it’s perfect! Congratulations on all your success!!! You are such an inspiration.

19. Congratulations! That is really exciting and you deserve it for all your hard work. Make sure you frame the covers and pages for your office!

20. I picked flea market a few weeks ago and was so pleasantly surprised to see your office in there…..I LOVE IT!!!!! Now i’ll be on the hunt for the BHG’s spec interest issue….congrats!

21. Loving what I see(all that color!!!), and you know I can’t wait for the book(dancing a jig with a big goofy smile)!

22. Loved your BHG feature! Inspired! Beautiful article.
    Monica

23. Deborah says:

Congratulations!!!!!!!! I’m hurrying out to buy both magazines now too! Can hardly wait for the BOOK!!!!

24. Wendy P says:

Congrats!!! I cant imagine how exciting all of this must be for you. I can’t wait to go pick them up and take a look…….and patiently awaiting your book and paint to arrive in Mississippi!!!

25. Marian, I am so excited for you! This recognition could not happen to a nicer or more deserving person. You are so hardworking, and come up with such creative ideas. I’ve been a fan of your blog for a while now, and watching all the transformations of everything from your style to your dreams to your blog itself has been exciting to see. And, I just have to say, that photo of you in Flea Market Style? You look like a model! Just gorgeous!

Best,

Kimberly

26. Marion, i picked this magazine up awhile back and was wowed when i found you in there because you hadn’t mentioned it or I thought i had totally missed your announcing it!!! i would have commented but i thought i was the last to know; lol; anyway it ‘s a great magazine and congratulations! now to find the Christmas issue. sonya

27. Janet Lawson says:

I got the magazine..
    Saw the article..
    Read it..
    Saw your photo..
    It was like reading about an old friend..
    CONGRATS,,

28. Elaine says:

I bought both magazines – WOW! The articles are great, pictures are wonderful!!!! Can’t wait to see more of your office! Congrats! So happy for you!

29. super cool, and fun to see the inside process. I was so happy to flip open Flea Market Style and see you smiling back at me. Your office is so pretty, and I’m excited to see your tour here- it was a surprise to see it so different from the last time you showed us with the built ins! Thanks for sharing.

30. This could not be happening to a nicer person, Marian! I need to find those issues…can’t wait to read them! And can’t wait until your book arrives! :) Mulching the yard on Christmas eve totally sounds like something I would have done! lol When I read that, it reminded me of an old Erma Bombeck story where she described a neighbor who was, let’s say “meticulous” about her home. She jokingly said she expected to find her outside waxing the garden hose. ;)

31. This is all so wonderful…..and the “M” looks awesome!! So glad you love it! xo

32. Yes, congratulations! I saw both issues and they were wonderful! You did a great job and your home is one of my favorites.
    Sherry

33. I was delighted to discover a copy of the new Flea Market Style Magazine Winter 2012 edition at the hair salon last week.
    There was your restyled home ofice using York Wallcoverings Tulip Damask Wallpaper in green and white! What a fabulous space! Thank you so much for choosing our wallpaper.
    If you love history, vintage patterns and archival decor you would be sure to love York’s personal archive. Contact us at your convience and we could give you a grand tour. (You live so close.) We have original prining presses here still in operation for over 100 years!
    I would love to interview you for a blog post and chat about design, color and that new book on the way!

Thanks again!
    Carol Miller
    Marketing Associate
    York Wallcoverings

34. I totally meant to say “HOORAY” earlier about this!!!!! I share your dream of having my home featured too :-) I’ve had my work featured a lot but you’re right – it’s totally NOT the same. This is SO HUGE!!! I’m totally running right out and buying each of these and I love that I can unashamedly say “I KNOW HER” to the cashier :-)
    hugs, Jennifer

35. Mary Ruth says:

I enjoy your blog and can’t wait to try your paint and oil! I follow your blog and love to see what you come up with! I think you have a great vision for DIY projects! Love reading and following your Blog!

Trackbacks

1. [...] Miss Mustard Seed‘s fall colored banner is so fun! I would want to leave it up all year around! [...]

2. […] adore colorful buntings like this too.  Once again it doesn’t have to say anything – just display some fun fall […]