Milk Paint at Lucketts!

On Thursday, I drove down to Lucketts with Faith and my husband and we worked on getting my space in the lobby looking great and filled with milk paint.  I’ve been in the lobby for a couple of months, but it’s been hard for me to get settled there.  With the milk paint finally in transit from Canada, I asked two design gurus, Suzanne and Amy of Design House fame, to help me with the layout of the space.  Suzanne traded a slim, glass topped shirt counter for my HUGE hardware counter and she also loaned me the hutch on the back wall.  Soooooo much better.

I’m  selling the two tall bookcases, so the back wall can be a spot for furniture pieces.  I’m hoping to figure out how to maximize that little nook and fill it with cozy furnishings and accessories and hang some of my hand painted signs on the wall.

Aside from the awesome store counter, the real statement in the space is this fabulous crystal chandelier (bought from “the Chandelier Girl” at Lucketts), that looks (intentionally) a lot like the chandelier in my dining room and the colorful flags swagged between the chain and the rafters.

When I was driving down to Lucketts last week, my mind was especially clear and creative and I had all sorts of amazing ideas.  One of those ideas was for this banner.  Banners are nothing new, that’s for sure, but I decided to make one to display the milk paint colors.  It’s not the kind of thing people will use as a reference, but it is a strong suggestion of the overall pallet of the milk paint line.  You get a feel for the colors immediately, just by looking at the space.  I’ll share a tutorial on how I made it soon.

I didn’t have a lot of extra things to sell, but I spread out what I did have to make everything look pretty and clean.   Faith and I stocked the shelves and counter with paint and product and I must say, it was thrilling.

I have been keeping the table leg color samples in a big basket, but they were pretty cumbersome to move around, so I decided to lay them out on the counter for now.  I’ll probably end up hanging them or something, but I like the idea of people being able to touch them and bring the color into different light.  (It’s obvious from the yellow glow of the pictures that my space doesn’t have a lot of natural light.)

I used an old berry tote I found at a yard sale as a place for the tester bags.

I still have a lot of ideas I want to implement in the space to make it really special, but I’m so pleased with how it’s coming together.

Thank you so much to the Lucketts Store for putting my line of milk paint front and center in the store.  Thanks to Homestead House for believing in me and my ideas enough to make and distribute this paint.  Thanks to all of the retailers who have signed onto this crazy adventure.  And thanks so much to all of the people who are buying the paint.  One of my retailers sold out of her paint in ONE DAY (and she ordered more than I did)!  I recognize how blessed I am and how special this opportunity is and I’m so thankful I can share it with all of you!

Comments

1. Marian your spot at Lucketts looks amazing , the drawers are so so cute. Everything looks great.
    I know these paints are going to be such a big seller, I have been using milk paints since 1992 and I can’t believe the people that have never heard of milk paint. Thanks for bringing this amazing product to the world.

I had a thought for the spindles, what about a round chandelier style frame almost like wooden chimes. Have some type of hook on the ends of the spindles so they can come off for customers to look at in a different light or look at closer. And when they are not in use they are on display hanging up, looking pretty and not taking up counter space.

If they are too big for this, how about a cute little set of steps with spindles that can pop in and out when needed. The little stair case could also display paint supplies etc.
    Following your dreams and your accomplishments all the way.
    hugs Tobey

2. so happy for you, the comment as one vendor sold…out does not surprise me..I think this is only the start of what will be a wild Journey for yourself and family. The space looks great and the idea reducing the size of the fixture is perfect. Very much so retail foot print is money…so best use of your space…..I kinda liked the comment about hooks on the spindle and hang them….I wonder about painting each drawer with the color it holds as a way to show it off. Hope you get some rest..and follow those dreams…

3. Why not hang the painted spindles/ legs from a hanging Pot Rack. It could be round and look like a chandolier (like Tobey suggested), or a wall hanging half round pot rack. Be sure to be able to take them down and hang back up with ease!

4. Cindy says:

Love the display and how it is arranged. It is a lot of hard work finally coming to fruition. How gratifying for you.

Question??…, I saw the list of retailers for your paint, some won’ have your paint until later, some in October.
    Is Lucketts of you going to offer your paint for sale online? I keep looking and see the announcement on Lucketts website yet I see no place to purchase the paint.

Unless I missed something, I am not sure how to purchase your paint. Any information and help would be super.

Congratulations on a your success!!

5. Katherine Landreneau says:

It all looks lovely! Congratulations!
    Where is Lucketts located?
    God bless you and your family!

6. Congratulations to you on the success of your latest venture. looks freat..hope to make a trip down to Lucketts this year. Looking forward to tryin out your line

MJ

7. It’s absolutely beautiful! Congrats on your success! Wishing you a grand week. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

8. The Lucketts space space looks great, especially the banner. Just FYI, you might want to pop over to Joni’s blog, Cote De Texas… her latest post features several kitchens by Pam Pierce and many contain French bull’s heads. They reminded me so much of the cow’s head you just placed in your own kitchen!

9. MARY EGUIA says:

Wow.How exciting,I love the bookcases.I think your paint would look great in those.That cabinet that they are in is soooo pretty. Another way you could show the colors would be to paint wooden drawer pulls and attach them to a board with a beautiful frame. Hung on the wall. Just a thought.

10. Oh my goodness! This is all pretty amazing! You must have breathed a huge sigh of relief and satisfaction, when you left Luckett’s Thursday! The furniture swap you made was a great decision and I’m sure you’ve created a real buzz at Luckett’s! It was very smart of them to highlite you and your line! All the very best to you! Continued blessings,
    Barbara

11. Love it! Looks great! Congratulations!

12. Congratulations Miss Mustard Seed! This is an exciting time because behind the milk paint is a person who followed her dream and passion!

13. Cathy@onecreativecouple.com says:

Congratulations on your newest business venture. I’m sure it will be a great success!

14. colleen says:

what a lovely display ;) i also am very impressed with how humble you are involving the help you recieve from family. i thought you could take the spindles and eye hook them together and hang on side of cabinet so folks could touch the paint finish..best of luck ;)

15. Margaret says:

Keeps looking better and better!
    LOVE the sample packets of MMS Milk Paint-genius!
    You’re a powerhouse, go Marian!

16. What an exciting adventure. I hope to be able to use some of the paint on a few chairs (a lot of chairs). I have here.

Many blessings.

Mr. Goodwill Hunting

17. I am in love. You are living my dream!

18. Colette says:

well done and congratulation. hope i will be able to get some MMS milk paint in the UK soon! x

19. Barbara F. says:

Congratulations on living your dream, the space looks beautiful and I can’t wait to try your milk paint!

20. The first thing that caught my eye were the flags!! They give the space just that little extra.
    Congratulations, you inspire me!

21. SO happy for you, friend!! And thrilled to be a part!
    :-)
    shaunna

22. Marian,
    Your space there looks amazing!! I LOVE how it is all displayed too!. I cannot wait to try your paint! Are you still going to take on more retailers?I know you are taking a break for a bit to catch up but I would love information.Congratulations you so deserve this! God is good!
    xx
    Anne

23. Echoing what everyone is saying, that your space at Lucketts is looking fabulous!

All of this is so exciting, and being in Canada it is really gratifying to say theproduct is made here + designed by someone we can all universally admire, not only for following your dreams, but for doing it with such honesty, integrity and joy.

Can’t wait to get Miss Mustard Seed’s Milk Paint into the store… everyone is asking about it! This truly is the happiest of adventures and we’re thrilled to be a part of it.

~Leanne

24. Sue Pagels says:

Your space looks great! Wish I was closer, but I had to order mine instead – Robyn Story Designs has shipped it and I can’t to get it. I have learned so much from you and you are such an inspiration and a joy to read all your blogs and successes. Continued success to you and yours!

25. Congrats Marian!! The space looks so amazing and your paints looks so lovely that I’m considering an overnight trip to come check out Lucketts from the New England Coast! All that hard work has now paid off! I can’t wait to see how fast it flies off the shelves!!

26. Soooooo excited and happy for your Marian! And it looks fabulous! I am hoping to be making a trip to Leesburg this fall and can’t wait to see it all in real life.

27. Looks Dreamy! Dream come true. WOW!

28. design salad wrote a blog about Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint today. Please see link at: http://designsalad.info/2012/09/04/miss-mustard-seed-milk-paint/

Marian, thanks for the inspiration! Wishing you the very best.

29. This is so wonderful Marian! Just makes me beam from ear to ear for you and I know this is just one of the wonderful parts of wonderful parts yet to come!!(I must really be linking the word wonderful to you! Lol)

30. We made a special trip to Lucketts while in town visiting family just to check out the display and all of the fab goodies there. The space looks amazing and I can’t wait to try out the milk paint!!

31. I was there on Monday… but I couldn’t/can’t decide which color I like best. Looks lovely!

32. Everything looks so beautiful! I wish I lived close by. I would surely visit. Continued sucess on your very special creative journey.

33. I’m grinning reading all this! So happy for you and I have my paint and I don’t know what I’m waiting on to try it! I need to get busy.
    Best wishes!
    Debbie

34. Wow, this is merchandised SO beautifully! Congrats to you on the amazing adventure!

35. I drove out to Luckett’s last week – the sample sizes are actually packaged in the most wonderful little glass jars. I am not sure if I am more excited about the jars or the paint (!).

Trackbacks

1. […] may have heard/seen a bit of the buzz about the DIY virtual town about Miss Mustard Seed‘s new milk paint line. Her blog & her business has been such an inspiration to me and […]

2. […] filled with architectural pieces, furniture, vintage clothing, vintage fabric etc.  They also sell Mrs. Mustard Seeds Milk Paint, and Annie Sloan Chalk […]